Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5/8x24 threads on 5.56/.223

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

5/8x24 threads on 5.56/.223

As far as muzzle device selection for a 5.56/.223 barrel with 5/8x24 threads, can any muzzle device with matching threads be used? Or will a brake/compensator designed for a larger round have a negative effect on a 5.56 round as it leaves the barrel?

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)

5/8x24 threads on 5.56/.223

Any can be used. No negative effect that I’ve heard of. Some say the larger breaks isn’t as effective. Probably negligible.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AAMP84 View Post
    As far as muzzle device selection for a 5.56/.223 barrel with 5/8x24 threads, can any muzzle device with matching threads be used? Or will a brake/compensator designed for a larger round have a negative effect on a 5.56 round as it leaves the barrel?
    A brake bored for a 30 caliber bullet will not be as effective at reducing recoil/jump as one bored for the smaller bullet. It won't hurt anything but you will not get the most out of the brake. It wouldn't make any difference with a flash hider.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Pretty much this.

The effect will vary with the specific device, but the general answer is it will be just fine.

Also, people shoot 5.56 thru 7.62 cans all the time with a slight increase in dB and a reduction in back pressure.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Excuse the question, but what are the functional benefits to using the 5/8x24 threads?

Feedback Score
    Most people do it so they can use one suppressor (30 cal) on all their guns. It can be detrimental if you don't have a meaty enough barrel as if it is to thin it will bulge slightly when fired, reducing accuracy. Meaty barrels are cheap compared to multiple suppressors. There is no other functional benefit that I am aware of.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    Excuse the question, but what are the functional benefits to using the 5/8x24 threads?
    Some folks say 5/8-24 threads keep the bore at the muzzle from swelling better than 1/2-24. A consistent/ tighter bore at the crown gives better accuracy.

Here's a link to a video which, even though the comparison is between 5/8-24 and 3/4-38, outlines the general theory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=CUm_YXzJJOU

An article on the video is on the AccurateShooter.com website under Daily Bulletin April 4th, 2015.

Another thing that has been discussed is more likely deformation of 1/2 vs. 5/8 when a muzzle device is torqued at upper limits or over-torqued. This is one reason so many folks use shims or precision washers to time their muzzle devices using minimum torque.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eklarsen View Post
    Most people do it so they can use one suppressor (30 cal) on all their guns. It can be detrimental if you don't have a meaty enough barrel as if it is to thin it will bulge slightly when fired, reducing accuracy. Meaty barrels are cheap compared to multiple suppressors. There is no other functional benefit that I am aware of.
    Most suppressors have muzzle devices available in both pitches.

I have a SilencerCo Omega. I have ASR Trifecta Flashhiders for both 1/2 and 5/8 and change between a 5.56 or a 7.62 flat cap depending on which rifle I have it on (actually I leave it with the 7.62 flat cap most of the time unless I'm shooting with my wife).

No need for more than one suppressor.

I agree with what you said reference the 5/8 reducing tromboning of ther muzzle, the problem is that will not especially rare, it is somewhat difficult to find .223/5.56 threaded 5/8-24 in the 'friendlier' price ranges.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 04-15-18 at 00:37.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AAMP84 View Post
    If anything, I have found that having a larger pass-through on muzzle devices is a beneficial in retaining accuracy. For a long time, I used some of the CAM4 Surefire flash hiders that while being threaded 1/2x28 would allow for much larger bullets to pass through them as they were generously bored out. On some others like the FH556SA, 212A, and a few others, the pass-through was much tighter and barely larger than 5.56mm and even on HK 416's and Noveske SS barrels, the accuracy is not what it should be, and a muzzle device swap would cut groups in half or more. Wes Grant (MSTN) confirmed my suspicions and said that when they would get SF 212A's, they would bore them out to get some of their accuracy back.

On brakes, I have used 30cal brakes on 6.5mm guns and .338 brakes on 308 guns and it still see benefit. I think if you stretch the concept out and push a .223 through something meant for 50cal you'll see the advantages dip...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    6.5 and smaller calibers through a .30 cal brake show less than 5% decrease in effectiveness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast