Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 7.62x39 Piston Rifle

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatchoslav View Post
    It seems like the more coyotes we kill the faster they breed they are about as bad as hogs. It's unreal when the calves drop they are like a locust plague
    You do know that is exactly what happens, don't you?

Stable groups have low birth rate. Loss of even one pack member will trigger them to come back into estrus and increase their birth rate.

And that awful hyena sounding warbling is part of how they know a member is gone.

Get a watch donkey or herd dog. That's about the only thing that works.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    We had another group of 'Yotes hit the back acreage up here, but they haven't come in for a good shot.

We have chickens, about 10 of them, so we get a few every year from the rough acres trying to slink their way to check out the coop. So, if they leave our livestock alone, we leave them alone.

If this rifle gives me the accuracy I am hoping for, I am certainly considering taking a deer with this rifle this year.
    I jinxed it, truly...

Last night, lost our Rooster to a 'Yote attack. It happened fast, but either he was the most pleasing looking, or he put up enough of a fight to be the one taken.

I know if I hit em back harder, they'll probably just expand the pack. But, I want my $7.00 in pelts at this point for the cost of my damn Rooster.

Anyways, It happened so quickly, our dog (inside but only 30 feet away) didn't even bark. My wife swore she heard it, but they're loud animals and just went back to bed.

Damnit. At a crossroads now. Pinzgauer makes a good point about them just coming back with bigger packs. I would just hope to drive em off to the next spot. We have roaming dogs, everything. But, they got confident last night. Happened around 2AM.

I truly, cannot believe though, that I jinxed it with this thread. In four years, 20 chickens, we never lost one to a 'Yote. And all that changed last night.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 04-20-18 at 12:39.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    This is the second 7.62x39 AR I’ve read this morning. I almost think it would be a sigjn, îbut I haven’t felt called to dabble in that direction. Part of me wants to get my own rivet machine and whacked else and build some AK’s. I do have a couple of questions.
    1. When you get a hand guard on it, will you mount some buis? Or replace the GB with FSP? I know you said it’s not a fighting gun, but still, no matter the budget I always run back up irons. I know there are some guys who have more expertise than me who don’t use them at all - but that’s not my camp.
    2. How is the BCA barrel working out? Do you have any expectations for accuracy? I see them advertised at Primary Arms - and I know they are made here in the states, but beyond that I’m not super familiar. I know I’ve been hesitant to buy primarily because I just can’t believe a good barrel can be had for $49 bucks sometimes free w/ a BCG purchase. Being a. “You get what you pay for” kind of guy, I’m really left wondering how good they really are. Looking forward to your input.
    But overall I really like that you stepped outside the box and brought us something really different but with a defined purpose!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the great questions and comments!

Question 1: At the moment, my only option for a decent free floated rail will be a Samson rail. I see them for around 100 bucks at places. But, to be honest, I am not sure how much more cash I will throw into this one. While I am a true believer of FSPs, I have them on every other AR I own at the moment, this handguard was free (well, a takeoff from an old Adams Arms Rilfe), allowed me to utilize this piston system, and kept the build moving. But, I am not the most advocating for RDS-Only guns. It will probably bug me enough to change one day, but in the meantime, I will just shrug it off.

If I do end up with some extra cash in hand after I finish the midlength I am building, I may get a Samson and call it a day. If I do so, I will defenitely be putting some buis on it. Probably MBUIS, due to cost and rifle use.

ETA: I wanted to mention: I won't be able to switch to a FSP, due to the piston system. Unless Syrac or Adams Arms offers an FSP Piston Gas block. Which, oddly enough, would be bad ass if they did.

Question 2:
    BCA "Guarantees 1MOA at 100yards with proper ammo and shooting technique".

My home range is only 50 yards, max. But, I am also in the midst of rebuilding my target stand much better. (Going to use 4x4 posts and 2x4 brackets so I can quickly swap out plates for a blank 2x4 for paper targets.) Otherwise, I would go setup my caldwell and at least see what it gives me at 50 yards on a target and upload it. Of course, per Minnesnowta, after I pulled up the old shot out stand, the ground is still too frozen to dig to put some concrete footed 4x4s.

It seems quite accurate thus far, but I don't feel comfortable saying it lives up to it's advisement until I get some real bench rested, 5-10 shot groups, at a true 100 yards.

It runs great so far, I have put about 500 through it so far (mostly popping clay pigeons on the ground while my stand is effed), we'll get some real accuracy info soon.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 04-20-18 at 13:01.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    You do know that is exactly what happens, don't you?

Stable groups have low birth rate. Loss of even one pack member will trigger them to come back into estrus and increase their birth rate.

And that awful hyena sounding warbling is part of how they know a member is gone.

Get a watch donkey or herd dog. That's about the only thing that works.
    It's an interesting if not frustrating situation. ~3000 head on 18k acres the operation gets bigger every year. Hunting lease on 8k of that, but they don't care about the fawns we lose that's for us to take care of. The trappers do a big push rihgt b/f the calves drop for the ranchers, but the rest of the year they go wild and just crush the fawn population it's super frustrating. It's costs $200/day for a trapper and our lease is expensive enough already so we just do what we can when we are there. QDMA told us the best option is to do our own trap push right b/f the fawns drop and then hunt our butts off the rest of the year. Oddly no one has brought up a donkey or dog to patrol the land I will ask the main cowpoke what he thinks about that. I can't imagine stopping the coyote hunting will lead to less fawn loss, but if that's they case I'd love to see some data behind it on a property with solid professional deer management and if it works I'm sold. I don't know if they would allow us to bring our own animals in either that would be another conversation all together.
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 04-20-18 at 16:26.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Worked on a good sized ranch running both cattle and sheep. We hunted year round and brought in trappers frequently. IIRC I saw two yotes on the ranch in 4 years. One calf had a haunch chewed up pretty badly but survived.
    We hunted by fixed wing 5-6 days a week. Killed many far and wide as we had to permission to hunt. We also ran up to 2 dozen Great Pyrenees dogs that stayed with the sheep. I'd never seen dog food bought by the ton before lol. Filled dog feeders when we ran salt and mineral every week.
    There are ways to keep the population down in an area but there is a price to pay.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    Worked on a good sized ranch running both cattle and sheep. We hunted year round and brought in trappers frequently. IIRC I saw two yotes on the ranch in 4 years. One calf had a haunch chewed up pretty badly but survived.
    We hunted by fixed wing 5-6 days a week. Killed many far and wide as we had to permission to hunt. We also ran up to 2 dozen Great Pyrenees dogs that stayed with the sheep. I'd never seen dog food bought by the ton before lol. Filled dog feeders when we ran salt and mineral every week.
    There are ways to keep the population down in an area but there is a price to pay.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    That's the approach we are taking trap + hunt. The hunters did a couple of focused traps b/f fawns dropped last year, ranchers did their own periodic trapping for the calves in winter and we hunt them hard year around as do the ranch hands.
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 04-20-18 at 16:56.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Just got an email from Adams Arms.

They've sent me the invoice for my warranty item and I should be receiving it sometime soon.

I didn't realize they had been back ordered, it was taking a little bit to get a response (about 20+ days since I was advised it would be replaced) but if they really where that backed up, it makes sense. I get it.

They're taking care of me, should have the adjustable one mounted soon. Very satisfied with the level of service the company provided. Certainly A++ For having nearly $1k invested in their products since my 21st Birthday.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatchoslav View Post
    It's an interesting if not frustrating situation. ~3000 head on 18k acres the operation gets bigger every year. Hunting lease on 8k of that, but they don't care about the fawns we lose that's for us to take care of. The trappers do a big push rihgt b/f the calves drop for the ranchers, but the rest of the year they go wild and just crush the fawn population it's super frustrating. It's costs $200/day for a trapper and our lease is expensive enough already so we just do what we can when we are there. QDMA told us the best option is to do our own trap push right b/f the fawns drop and then hunt our butts off the rest of the year. Oddly no one has brought up a donkey or dog to patrol the land I will ask the main cowpoke what he thinks about that. I can't imagine stopping the coyote hunting will lead to less fawn loss, but if that's they case I'd love to see some data behind it on a property with solid professional deer management and if it works I'm sold. I don't know if they would allow us to bring our own animals in either that would be another conversation all together.
    I see donkeys used a lot. Seems like every sheep / goat ranch I’ve seen a from East Texas to Central Texas. They work, although I’m not sure what the ratio is, if there is one. Sounds like I need to throw a couple guns in the truck and drive out to Fl.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Just got the Adjustable Block.

Will be swapping it out and tuning it to my lightest load in the coming weeks.

Feedback Score
    I'd be interested in knowing whether the 74% (or lesser) position still gives you last round bolt hold open. Keep us posted! thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast