Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about SBR

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Talk to me about SBR

I’ll be in a position to apply for a stamp and purchase my first SBR in the next few weeks (or the other way around if that's the way it's supposed to go), so I'm looking for any and all info I can get. I’ve done some of my own research, but it’s still a little confusing so I’m hoping this thread will end up being a good gathering of general (and specific) information that will point me in the right direction.

I have a couple of ideas about what I want, and I'm leaning towards starting out with a factory Colt Commando, but recommendations on what manufactures and models are the best to be looking at are welcome. I do like offerings from DD, LMT, and Sionics, but not sure what/who else to be considering. In addition, suggestions for must have upgrades, triggers, buis, ammo choices, etc. are also welcome.

As far as caliber, I've been mulling over going .300 Blackout, but I think for this first one I'll probably stay with 5.56, unless somebody convinces me otherwise. Honestly, I'll probably end up with multiple uppers for this SBR lower anyways, so one in each caliber isn't a bad option. Money is always a consideration, but in this case I can spend a little extra to get a little extra.

I'm also interested in any info people can give about the process to follow, what mistakes to avoid, certain things to make sure to do, links to other resources, or any other good info from those of you in the know.

Since this will be my first SBR, I'm basically going to be using it as a trainer, fun gun, possibly home defense, and other scenarios under 200 yards. I like the idea going suppressed, either right off the bat or somewhere down the line, so recommendations on that subject are good too.

So guys, please, educate me.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Missed that one, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    I did read that thread, parts of it anyways. That's one of the reasons I've decided to buy a factory model instead of SBRing my own build (to start). On your reminder I'll go through it again though, thanks.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    For me, going SBR was a natural transition after getting my suppressor.
    My first was an 8” 300 blackout. Lots of fun, and I only buy the (unfortunately expensive) subsonic ammo.
    I now have a few more uppers that include an 11.5” 5.56, and 12.5” 6.8.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    First thing's first. Are you going to do a trust or acquire stamps as an individual? There are pros and cons to each.

The trust will require a lawyer to be set up which will be an additional fee up front. You can have family members on the trust as well as add/remove them in the future so your items can be passed down. Anyone listed in the trust will need to sign as a partner.

If you're going to apply for the stamp as an individual then you just need a local head of law enforcement like chief of police to sign your form. Any officer appointed by the chief can sign in lieu of him/her, but they need to include that info on the form as well as their own position/rank.

I did all my stamps as an individual when i was a bachelor. As a father now I wished I had gotten a trust. It's never too late to do a trust, but you'll have to pay the $200 stamp/transfer fee for each item you transfer from yourself (individual) to the trust should you ever change your mind.

As far as which caliber; 300 blk is a lot of fun to shoot subs suppressed but does get expensive. A short 8" barrel is very doable for 300 blk too. 5.56 needs a 10.5" barrel or longer. I had a 7.5" pistol that had ejection issues from time to time. A rubber o-ring on the ejector spring helped the problem, but I still didn't like needing to use a rubber band aid to make my rifle work right. 5.56 SBRs really really blast the ear drums. If I'm standing under a roof I feel like it rattles my teeth even when I'm wearing double hearing protection.
    can't speak for 6.8

Be honest with yourself, if you're just going to plink from time to time and leave the gun setup in your house as a home defense go-to for 99.9% of it's life then get the 300blk. If you're going to run the heck out of the rifle, take classes, shoot 10,000 rounds/year type of use then get the 5.56
    Last edited by matemike; 04-07-18 at 06:12.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post

If you're going to apply for the stamp as an individual then you just need a local head of law enforcement like chief of police to sign your form. Any officer appointed by the chief can sign in lieu of him/her, but they need to include that info on the form as well as their own position/rank.
    41F (went into effect in July of 216) removed the requirement for CLEO sign-off and replaced it with a form for notification only.

Feedback Score
    A Colt 6933 is a great choice. Here's mine.

As you can see, mine came with a carry handle and Rogers stock, but now they typically come with a Magpul rear sight and a regular carbine buttstock.
    They can be had for about $1000.
    http://www.anacortesgunshop.com/clt-...556-115-147136

You might also consider a Colt LE6991 which is their 9mm SBR AR15. I currently have one waiting for the stamp at a local gun shop. They typically run about $100 more than the 6933's. I'm looking forward to putting a suppressor on mine.

Since you're going to be buying a factory SBR that has to be transferred though a dealer, it's important that you find a good dealer that's experienced with NFA transfers and is happy to send off all of the required documents to the dealer that you purchase the rifle from. Where I live, $50 is the going rate for NFA transfers. That's actually a good deal in my opinion considering all the extra paperwork (primarily filling out the Form 4) and the fact that they have to store the rifle for you until the stamp is approved (currently about six months). Get the transfer price worked out up front. If you're lucky enough to find a dealer that has the SBR you want in stock, then remember that includes the transfer.

In regard to filling out the form as an individual or trust, my suggestion is to go the individual route unless you have a compelling reason to need a trust. It's actually easier now to go the individual route than it was two years ago now that there is no CLEO sign off required.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    With adjustable pistol braces such as the Maxim Defense and the new SBA3 from SB Tactical there are no longer any advantages of an SBR over a pistol.

I made one SBR and about 6 pistols. I will never again go SBR.

A pistol:
    - does not require a $200 stamp
    - can be carried anywhere a pistol is allowed in including reciprocity states
    - does not require ATF permission to go out of state
    - can be transported in the passenger compartment of a car
    - can be easily transfer or sold

Last edited by davidk; 04-08-18 at 23:17.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidk View Post
    With adjustable pistol braces such as the Maxim Defense and the new SBA3 from SB Tactical there are no longer any advantages of an SBR over a pistol.

I made one SBR and about 6 pistols. I will never again go SBR.

A pistol:
    - does not require a $200 stamp
    - can be carried anywhere a pistol is allowed in including reciprocity states
    - does not require ATF permission to go out of state
    - can be transported in the passenger compartment of a car
    - can be easily transfer or sold

All good till atf changes their mind on the brace.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast