Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Talk to me about SBR

Feedback Score
    All good points regarding the pistol brace. On the negative side I'd add that the pistol brace can't be retracted or fold and can be bulkier depending on which one you use. On the positive side I'd add that a pistol brace does not require sec922(r) compliance. That's not an issue with AR15's, but can certainly be an issue with imported rifles.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    All good points regarding the pistol brace. On the negative side I'd add that the pistol brace can't be retracted or fold and can be bulkier depending on which one you use. On the positive side I'd add that a pistol brace does not require sec922(r) compliance. That's not an issue with AR15's, but can certainly be an issue with imported rifles.
    Is there a legal reason the pistol brace can't be used in conjunction with the law folding adapter?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterHelix View Post
    Is there a legal reason the pistol brace can't be used in conjunction with the law folding adapter?
    No reason that I know of. Many braces work great with the LAW folder.

There are also several adjustable braces now available, including at least two (Gear head works Tailhook and SB Tactical SBA3) that can be used in conjunction with the LAW folder so that you can have a pistol brace that folds and collapses.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airhasz View Post
    All good till atf changes their mind on the brace.
    Then at that point he could SBR it.

I have 3 AR pistols (9mm, 5.56, and 300BLK), and one SBR, and I agree that in today's world, there is no real reason to go the SBR route. You will save $200 that you can put towards ammo or training, and not have to worry about the travel restrictions and wait time.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have both an SBR and a pistol with a brace. There are very good reasons for having either one or both.

The Colt 6933 is an excellent SBR.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 04-09-18 at 18:56.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Thanks all for some good points so far. I'll admit that I hadn't really thought about a pistol as an alternative. Not being able to shoulder them, I never really saw the point, so haven't learned much about them. I do remember reading that has changed, or at least was clarified, so there's no reason not to take a second look. I guess I need to brush up on regs too, good points about crossing state lines, transporting, etc. I really do like the idea of a 6933, (and a carry handle to go with it), so building a pistol while waiting for a stamp could be in the cards.

Feedback Score
    I love my SBR. I feel it is better than a pistol. By better, I mean having a real stock I am much more accurate with it, and I am also quicker with it. That said. I am looking to add a pistol lower to the mix to aid in travel restrictions. I will be giving up a bit of my capability in using this to stay within the law, and that sucks, but that's what I get for not being a criminal...

Personally... the entire NFA is unconstitutional, but I'm not about to be the guy to push my luck being the test case... so I'm gonna add a pistol lower, but yeah, the SBR, with it's real stock is an order of magnitude better.

In today's world, you need both.
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 04-09-18 at 22:06.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    A pistol brace isn't a replacement for a good stock. A serious rifle shooter will immediately see the differences. One being stability and a hard stock with no flex to the size, the other being the ability to change length. Depending on how you're shooting physically, stock adjustments may be necessary. It's like saying a NC Star red dot is a replacement for an Aimpoint. They both sort of accomplish the same thing, but it's not really on the same level.

That being said... don't waste money on the Aimpoint if you plan to shoot an El Cheapo AR 10 rounds at the range once a year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12