Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planks

Feedback Score

Planks

I have worked my way up to 15lbs set squarely in the small of my back (it is a core exercise after all) for 3:15 with good form. That is to failure mind you, I'm shot by that point.

I had gone to 4+ minutes with body weight, then the "brain-burn" torture for that long got me to add resistance. I tried a 20lb weight vest, but it seemed to put more emphasis on the shoulders than it did the core since it rode higher. Then I started having my wife place 15lbs in the small of my back as soon as I got into plank position.

Is that at least respectable? It sucks balls and it's funny how your HR shoots up in only 3+ minutes of exercise!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    215 (100%)
    As someone who does planks every so often in my ab routine, I would say that is a very respectable time.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'd say that's very respectable! Planks are a bitch.

When I was going to the gym regular, I worked my self up to a 45lb plate on the small of the back, but I would only hold it for 60 sec. I think 15lbs for 3:15 is probably just a brutal. It seems to get exponentially harder the longer you hold it!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    I'd say that's very respectable! Planks are a bitch.

When I was going to the gym regular, I worked my self up to a 45lb plate on the small of the back, but I would only hold it for 60 sec. I think 15lbs for 3:15 is probably just a brutal. It seems to get exponentially harder the longer you hold it!
    So I took your post into consideration. The "brain burn" of a long plank is like a Chinese water-torture, except it hurts all over! So tonight I had my wife place a 45lb Olympic plate onto the small of my back and I made it to 1:37. My new goal will be 2:00. I could obviously feel the heavier weight but especially in the center ab muscles.......so a good choice!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    So I took your post into consideration. The "brain burn" of a long plank is like a Chinese water-torture, except it hurts all over! So tonight I had my wife place a 45lb Olympic plate onto the small of my back and I made it to 1:37. My new goal will be 2:00. I could obviously feel the heavier weight but especially in the center ab muscles.......so a good choice!
    I'm going to have to try this.
    I can do seven Dragon Flags in a row and I work my abs every day now, but this looks like a fun challenge.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    I'm going to have to try this.
    I can do seven Dragon Flags in a row and I work my abs every day now, but this looks like a fun challenge.
    Well, fun it is not!

Make sure you center the plate on the small of your back. The hole that the barbell goes through should be at lower kidney level. Placing the weight in the middle of your back makes it a little less stressful on the ab/core and puts more onto the shoulders, so make sure it's centered lower.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 04-13-18 at 18:14.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well, fun it is not!

Make sure you center the plate on the small of your back. The hole that the barbell goes through should be at lower kidney level. Placing the weight in the middle of your back makes it a little less stressful on the ab/core and puts more onto the shoulders, so make sure it's centered lower.
    I'm going to try this Monday morning, I think I will let the young lady that runs the gym on Mondays place the plate for me.
    I saw her doing this with a 25 lb plate this morning, so I'm pretty sure she can get the placement right when I explain it.
    Fun, well maybe not, but it sounds like something I want to try.
    Last edited by Averageman; 04-13-18 at 18:26.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    That's awesome, man...Nice work! :-)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    That's awesome, man...Nice work! :-)
    Made it to 1:50 today so maybe next week I'll hit 2:00.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Gave it a shot after my workout and that workout included abs.
    45lb plate, fifty five seconds with plenty of gas to spare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast