Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 178 gr ELDs in .308 Winchester

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Interesting thread and may save me the energy of messing with them. I thought about it, but have enough on my hands working on the Nosler RDFs now and having very mixed results with them. The SMKs seem to always shoot at least decently no matter what...not sure the fiddling is worth the 10% or less BC gain with some of these newer designs.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Well well well we slung Mark's new fodder with the 178's for the LMT MWS. We were able to get 2525fps with 178 ELD's and they shoot fine. We only tried one group for accuracy and I shot MOA and I shot the group in about 5 seconds, I think I heard Mark scream SLOW DOWN while shooting if my memory serves me. I shot 3 shots in one hole and two shots pulled in my estimation.

All in all it was very impressive. Our Bolt guns didn't love the 4064 in terms of velocity or accuracy. MWS it is!
    Last edited by Pappabear; 08-12-18 at 21:26.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Sounds like similar velocity I get out of my R700 with 175's. 19" barrel fwiw. These are on my list to try but still have a gang of Sierra's.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Well well well we slung Mark's new fodder with the 178's for the LMT MWS. We were able to get 2525fps with 178 ELD's and they shoot fine. We only tried one group for accuracy and I shot MOA and I shot the group in about 5 seconds, I think I heard Mark scream SLOW DOWN while shooting if my memory serves me. I shot 3 shots in one hole and two shots pulled in my estimation.

All in all it was very impressive. Our Bolt guns didn't love the 4064 in terms of velocity or accuracy. MWS it is!
    What powder charge did you guys go with? Loaded to mag length?

I tried them again today in my 700 but with N140. I got a some promising data and I want to try again.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    What powder charge did you guys go with? Loaded to mag length?
    I'm reluctant to post any powder charge weight due to the massive lot to lot velocity swings we've been seeing.... That said, 43.0 gr of 4064. Historically that would have been a very hot load for a gas gun. But this lot of 4064 is 100 fps slower than our last lot.

Bullets seated to Mag length. (Knights Aluminum Mag)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Sounds like similar velocity I get out of my R700 with 175's. 19" barrel fwiw. These are on my list to try but still have a gang of Sierra's.
    . Yes, I was impressed with a 16 inch CL barrel in a gas gun. Thats legit velocity.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'm reluctant to post any powder charge weight due to the massive lot to lot velocity swings we've been seeing.... That said, 43.0 gr of 4064. Historically that would have been a very hot load for a gas gun. But this lot of 4064 is 100 fps slower than our last lot.

I have shot some with charge weights around there. I have some loaded for my 700. I might load a few extras for the LMT and work back up.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I shot 3 out of my Rem 700 that grouped well. They were only going as fast as the 16" gas gun though. It was odd.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I'll try to get some velocity data too and compare.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post

That is not encouraging. 4064 has been magic for me with this class of projectile and I am on the verge of needing another keg, but that does seem slow for the charge weight and seating depth... although still pretty good for a 16" barrel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast