Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some things I have figured out about HK91 clones..

Feedback Score

Some things I have figured out about HK91 clones..

In the mid 1980s it was a stretch for me to buy a $400 used Colt SP1.

An HK91 was more than half again that.

Shortly after, import laws made them jump to over twice that, and 1994 made things even worse.

I finally got a clone in the late 1990s.
    It had a failed top. It unfortunately had an aluminum receiver. After a mag or two the Heat difference would lock up the charging handle. About a thousand rounds into it, I was informed the gun was probably beyond its half life, but it was a great parts kit. I had it rebuilt on a PTR receiver. I love the trigger assembly, but hate a non railed receiver. I also found I prefer the wide handguard s over the slim it came with and installed those. Especially with bipod legs.

My second was a retractable stock model. Again I miss the railed top. I also do not like the navy trigger assembly as much. These stocks are not as nice as the earlier ones with a different shaped butt.

I recently obtained a pistol version and braced it. I like having the rail. I put a phantom mount on it, but will swap it with the middle gun as the Phantom can is rated to 10.5, but not 8.5 in 308. Note that without a folding or retractable brace, there is not portability or size advantage with the pistol.

Of course, along the way, as with many guns I listed after in the 80s, I have found an AR10 to be a preferable, more ergonomic platform.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ohRhtE4vBShqzyl62

I have also not found reliable 30 round magazines. The dozens of 20s I have all work fine. I have not found a difference in function between steel and alloy.

Like many guns I took decades to get, time and advances have made them less the pinnacles many were at the time.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Very nice collection.

Feedback Score
    So I can understand this- you had clones that didn't work well but feel that reflects on the entire design? I admit the G3 is dated but I have several and they run well, very well.

Feedback Score
    I have seen G3's in Africa that were as beat up any the most beat up AK's and they still ran just fine, and would fire MOATP. minute of angle african trigger puller.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I have seen G3's in Africa that were as beat up any the most beat up AK's and they still ran just fine, and would fire MOATP. minute of angle african trigger puller.

Actually funny you mention Africa. That has primarily been my litmus test for firearms durability is simply- what's being carried by villagers in third world countries overall. The overwhelming majority seem to be HK's, AK's, and some FAL's.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-10-18 at 16:08.

Feedback Score
    They carry those because that's what the wars there were fought with, and what's available, not because of any kind of superiority.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    They carry those because that's what the wars there were fought with, and what's available, not because of any kind of superiority.
    I disagree. I am not sure M16 rifles and/or the magazines would stand up to decades of neglect like the FN, G3 and AK has in Africa.

Are any of those rifle superior to a western military or gun lover in the USA, nope. But a G3 that goes band every time verse a M16 that doesn't, give me the G3.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    There are still M16 rifles kicking around in SE Asia - despite the difficulty of obtaining replacement parts and the ubiquity of the AK.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    There are still M16 rifles kicking around in SE Asia - despite the difficulty of obtaining replacement parts and the ubiquity of the AK.
    Your right. I stand corrected.

Feedback Score
    Not to mention the HK in other tropical places like El Salvador "back in the day". Damn near as big as the Salvadoran's who carried them and beat to hell but seemed to work from what I've read.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast