Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some things I have figured out about HK91 clones..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    So I can understand this- you had clones that didn't work well but feel that reflects on the entire design? I admit the G3 is dated but I have several and they run well, very well.
    Not at all. My only problem was with an infamous FA91 clone.
    Great idea, if they had used a different material receiver it probably would have worked out great.

But yes,
    Like many weapons I wanted decades ago, many of which were designed decades before that,
    There are shortcomings with ergonomics, accessories, and such.

They are dated, not horrible.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    The American gun culture is what has brought new ideas to the M16 platform and have kept it fresh and new.

If guns were outlawed tomorrow, the US military down the road would suffer stagnation in training and small arms.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    I have also not found reliable 30 round magazines.
    Have you ever tried South African 30 round G3 mags? I have read those are g2g and use to see them offered from time to time from places like Apex.

As for the G3, I too notice that when you look a photos from shit hole conflict zones AKs, FALs, and G3 are what you see. African park rangers (not like US park rangers lol) tote G3's.

On his website LAV states; "The M14 can be tuned to at higher degree of accuracy, and the G3 I would consider the most rugged, but all things considered the FAL as a 7.62mm battle rifle or carbine is, in my opinion, the all around best choice."
    http://www.vickerstactical.com/battle-rifles.html

I read in an article last year that during US evaluations of the G3 at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds they found the G3 was less sensitive to dirt and could function better in adverse conditions due to it's delayed roller locking system than the FAL and the M14. Another thing noted during the evaluations was that the G3's receiver was rather robust, and the rifle could be re-built eight times thus increasing the service life of the rifle.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    This weapon and round are classic and effective.

Do not misconstrue my preferences as hating it.

In summary, I don’t like the Navy grip as much.
    I much prefer a top rail to the claw mount.
    I prefer the wide forearm to the slim ones.
    The older retracting stock has a butt that was a little more forgiving than the later version.

Like the M14, FN FAL, etc.
    There are dated aspects to this platform.

Just like there are dated, inconvenient aspects if you choose to use a 68 GTO with a four speed Muncie as a daily driver.
    It’s still fun to drive and will get you there.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    Do not misconstrue my preferences as hating it.
    The last part of my post above was not directed at you, I know what you are saying in regards to a dated design and modern innovations.

IMHO, the G3 is the most robust MBR yet devised ergo and mounting wrinkles notwithstanding.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Chevy Chase does a fine job selling the G3.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    The American gun culture is what has brought new ideas to the M16 platform and have kept it fresh and new.

If guns were outlawed tomorrow, the US military down the road would suffer stagnation in training and small arms.
    I try to explain this to people who are on the fence on gun control and it falls on deaf ears, heck it falls on deaf ears in the American gun community.

Feedback Score
    Had a 1985 HK91A2. Nice rifle but heavy. Almost 10lbs.. Paid $400.00 for it and sold it for $1400.00.
    US NAVY
    1961-1965

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JaegerOne View Post
    Had a 1985 HK91A2. Nice rifle but heavy. Almost 10lbs.. Paid $400.00 for it and sold it for $1400.00.

I have three HK 91's right now. They are heavy rifles but overall are very reliable. I have two set up with the 4x factory scope and one set up like the G3 SG1 with factory 6x scope.

Feedback Score
    Might have kept my clones if anyone made a short LOP stock for it. Tried to make my own but didn't work out too well.

Otherwise it's like an accurate AKM in 7.62x51...if you want a longer, heavier, but more accurate AKM in 7.62x51.

Best thing about it was it would eat anything. $6/20 Russian steel case .308 was no problem for it. Never a malfunction from my two PTR's that I recall.
    Last edited by Ron3; 04-22-18 at 22:02.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast