Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a KAC Rifle... Would love feedback and thoughts!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Buying a KAC Rifle... Would love feedback and thoughts!

M4 peeps, I have decided to start looking into KAC rifles. I have several AR's but have not yet added a Knights.

I am looking for feedback and/or guidance on what rifle is ideal for me. I am looking for an all around rifle to run through training classes. I see the Mod2 is what is on the website, but have also seen Mod1's in used forums etc...

Can anyone school a KAC newbie on what makes one model superior to the other, and what your own personal thoughts are on what to buy.

Pretty vague but do enjoy reading and learning about this kind of stuff!

Feedback Score
    I know the knight "fan boys" really have a thing for the old school stuff. It's like some obsession with stuff they no longer produce. The mod 2 has some really cool features that pertain to the gas system. The thing that makes an sr15 so good is the E2 bolt and the mod 2 gas system. The way the gas block is held on along with the way the gas tube is secured is so unique, there is nothing else like it.

Feedback Score
    For an all around I would just go with either a 16" or 14.5" SR15 E3 Mod2 (youll probably want M-Lok I take it) As stated above, they feature a lot of uniqueness that separate them from being "just another AR"...especially with the bolt, etc. If you want the most up to date, best version - obviously go with the newest model. Guys only buy the older shit to collect.

Once you get it, you'll probably get hooked and buy another one down the kine anyway lol...then soon it'll develop into an obsession in which case you start hunting down classic and rare Kac parts and whatnot. My first kac was a Mod 2...then I got an SBR mod 2, then I got a mod 1 Sr15 14.5", and also a mod 1 Sr16 cqb upper..I recently stepped up and got my first SR25 not long ago. Add to the fact that I have a mountain of kac accessories on top of it all.

I guess my point is, whichever one you DONT get, dont worry - you'll eventually get it not far sown the road.

Imo both mod 1 and mod 2 look badass and you cant go wrong with either:

Last edited by Razorblade; 04-10-18 at 14:54.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cundiff5535 View Post
    M4 peeps, I have decided to start looking into KAC rifles. I have several AR's but have not yet added a Knights.

I am looking for feedback and/or guidance on what rifle is ideal for me. I am looking for an all around rifle to run through training classes. I see the Mod2 is what is on the website, but have also seen Mod1's in used forums etc...

Can anyone school a KAC newbie on what makes one model superior to the other, and what your own personal thoughts are on what to buy.

Pretty vague but do enjoy reading and learning about this kind of stuff!
    With each evolution of the SR15 KAC made incremental improvements over the previous model. The most noticeable feature are the types of rails used in each stage of its evolution. Early Block I and II saw the use of a variety of quad rails, some with integrated front sights or front sight gas blocks.

The Mod 1 is arguably the most significant "evolutionary leap" for KAC carbines and rifles. The Mod 1 introduced the full ambidextrous lower receiver as well as integrated QD sockets (now discontinued), as well as the superior E3 bolt design, and the URX 3 and 3.1 lightened quad rails, which basically eliminated excess weight and unnecessary rail real estate. The Mod 1 also saw the introduction of the KAC recoil reduction system, incorporating a proprietary "intermediate-length" gas system that is unique to 14.5" and 16" KAC carbines. The Mod 1 line up also introduced the SR30 series rifles/carbines, and ball milled barrels were featured in select models for both the SR15 and SR25 line for further weight reduction.

The Mod 2 introduced an innovative "leak proof" gas system by using an unconventional method of securing the gas tube to the gas block. The Mod 2 also ushered in a new era of lightweight rails, the URX4, in both Keymod and MLOK configurations.

At least that's how I remember it. I'm sure a KAC rep will step in sooner or later and present all the real facts. The bottom line is, if you're not into cloning or collecting, it's really not worth paying premium for discontinued KAC parts or complete guns. Although KAC does intend to do limited run "Vault" releases annually for the die hard collectors and fans. If your intent is to train and shoot the piss out of it, go with the latest and greatest (Mod 2) that's readily available, and don't look back.
    Last edited by Boba Fett v2; 04-10-18 at 22:08. Reason: grammar police
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    With each evolution of the SR15 KAC made incremental improvements over the previous model. The most noticeable feature are the types of rails used in each stage of its evolution. Early Block I and II saw the use of a variety of quad rails, some with integrated front sights or front sight gas blocks.

The Mod 1 is arguably the most significant "evolutionary leap" for KAC carbines and rifles. The Mod 1 introduced the full ambidextrous lower receiver as well as integrated QD sockets (now discontinued), as well as the superior E3 bolt design, and the URX 3 and 3.1 lightened quad rails, which basically eliminated excess weight and unnecessary rail real estate. The Mod 1 also saw the introduction of the KAC recoil reduction system, incorporating a proprietary "intermediate-length" gas system that is unique to 14.5" and 16" KAC carbines. The Mod 1 line up also introduced the SR30 series rifles/carbines, and ball milled barrels were featured in select models for both the SR15 and SR25 line for further weight reduction.

The Mod 2 introduced an innovative "leak proof" gas system by using an unconventional method of securing the gas tube to the gas block. The Mod 2 also ushered in a new era of lightweight rails, the URX4, in both Keymod and MLOK configurations.

At least that's how I remember it. I'm sure a KAC rep will step in sooner or later and present all the real facts. The bottom line is, if you're not into cloning or collecting, it's really not worth paying premium for discontinued KAC parts or complete guns. Although KAC does intend to do limited run "Vault" releases annually for the die hard collectors and fans. If your intent is to train and shoot the piss out of it, go with the latest and greatest that's readily available.
    Fantastic info! Thank you sir!

I know I am opening up a huge can of worms here... I recently picked up a BCM Jack (got it priced right). Love that thing... Honestly, would the Mod 2 be a huge step up from that rife? <-- I know this is a totally subjective question, am curious to hear some opinions though!

Feedback Score
    To the OP, if you are seriously thinking about it, rest assured an SR-15 is always a good purchase. You won't be sorry. I'd go with Mod 2. KAC is not a stagnant company, they are always improving, testing, ect, so their latest model is what I'd be looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    Early Block I and II saw the use of a variety of quad rails, some with integrated front sights or front sight gas blocks.
    I'm still shooting this "early" aka "legacy" every now and then. It has never malfunctioned (in any way shape or form) despite thousands of dollars of ammo through the pipe. Smooth, reliable, and accurate.

Feedback Score
    Get yourself a Mod 2 & drive on. Probably the best AR you can get. They are well worth the $$$ & hold their value. I picked up a Bronze Mod 2 in Key Mod last year & I absolutely love it. Ignore all the “proprietary” bullshit, because that’s all it is. KAC makes the best gun out there.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Op. 100% get a 16” mod 2 in mlok. Add preferred LPVO or red dot of choice.

I’ll concede I’m a completely unabashed KAC fan boy. We run CQB mod 1s at work and I adore them.

But

The level of refinement and intrinsic attributes find in these rifles is worth the price tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Op. 100% get a 16” mod 2 in mlok. Add preferred LPVO or red dot of choice.

I’ll concede I’m a completely unabashed KAC fan boy. We run CQB mod 1s at work and I adore them.

But

The level of refinement and intrinsic attributes find in these rifles is worth the price tag. Over the years of divested myself of everything except Glock pistols, Colt /HK /KAC rifles. And the only HK I wanted was my 416 so, yea.

KACmasterrace

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Looks like the 16" Mod 2 is what everyone here says to get Time to hunt one down at a reasonable price.

Thanks guys!

Side note: Can you guys give me a serious thought on how a Mod2 would stack up to a BCM Jack?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast