Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo, best bang for your buck....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ammo, best bang for your buck....

So being an avid shooter I can say that when it comes to ammo I'm probably ranked right there with every other novice on the planet when it comes to selection. There are most likely 3 things that drive my needs and given the simple fact sometimes I just want to go sling some lead doesn't help the situation or me for that matter. So in order below here are the 3 rules that usually drive my purchases when my ammo is running low.

1. Price, yep its all about the mighty dollar and I want to get as much as I can for as little as possible.
    2. Availability, I do not want to drive 40 miles to save .13 cents per hundred rounds...really not that important to me and yes I know it goes completely against rule #1.
    3. Accuracy, this should probably be number 1 on the list because it usually means good ammo, clean ammo and gives me a good idea of how my weapon functions as well as myself but just like the majority of us I squeeze off the fist 10 do some measurements and some quick math and understand my super nice (AR,Bolt gun, pistol or whatever) ends up being in a 2-3 inch circle and I quickly surmise that at 100 yards (estimate) I could fill most anything full of holes and pretty much enjoy doing it.

So here's my question given the fact an ordinary person would have a tough time explaining to his significant other why he elected to spend $200 on bullets, if you could and need them what, kind would you purchase. Are we going for down and dirty quick and easy Wally World or are we going online to purchase something a little better?

So let's list them, who is the mfg, what kind are you buying and from whom are you purchasing from? And just like school show your work when you comment, why do you like it, what performance characteristics are you going to brag about .19 MOA my butt. So it really is BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK QUESTION!
    Last edited by feedthemlead; 04-10-18 at 19:22. Reason: corrections.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    you should start re-loading

It's not that hard and you can get started for about the cost of 1,000 rounds of the cheapest ammo you can find that is not garbage

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I know, I have thought about it but I'm telling you I have a bad habit, I have no time to sit there and pull the handle. My calibers 5.56, 45 amp, 357 sig, 9mm, 308 and toss in a 300 win mag around hunting season! I would go broke on supplies and still not have the time to re-load plus I could just imagine doing that would go Hand in hand with drinking a few cold ones YIKES. Like the shirt says....not my fault I was left un-attended.
    Last edited by feedthemlead; 04-10-18 at 19:59.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    1000 Round Case - 5.56x45 OTM 77 Grain SMK Hollow Point Magtech First Defense Sniper Ammo - 556C $549.80 @sgammo, $565 shipped.
    I buy from whoever has the best deal on the ammo I want, considering shipping in the equation as well...
    IMI 69 is attractive also, both are MOA ammo, and fast.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have heard a number of people favorably talk about the accuracy or IMI Razorcore 77gr SMKs. 5.56 pressure.

$335 for a case at SG Ammo
    https://www.sgammo.com/product/223-5...o-made-israe-0

I have some Black Hills 77gr and when I exhaust those I’m. Going to try the Razorcore.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Your #1 and #2 don’t conflict at all. Time and cost involved should play into your “real cost” of ammo. Local ammo probably has sales tax added to it plus your time and gas. Online ammo may not have taxes or fuel, but may have shipping costs.

I buy almost all my ammo online, on sale, and YEARS before I plan to shoot it. Range/training ammo only needs to be reliable and reasonably accurate, as in 5.56 that can group around 2 MOA and pistol ammo that can hit 6 inch plates consistently at 40 yards. Those accuracy levels work for all the drills and shooting I do in both range work and IDPA. I prefer brass case ammo. My primary sources for this type ammo is either www.sgammo.com or www.targetsports.com. I’m not opposed to buying elsewhere but normally follow these two websites and they have what I buy at great prices.

I used to buy commercial reman ammo but have since stopped buying that crap, especially from Freedom Munitions.

Preferred brands are Speer Lawman or Fiocchi but will buy most all others when the price is right (like Remington UMC .45 ball at $239 per thousand I just ordered yesterday from SGAmmo

SD/HD rounds are the good stuff, but I don’t keep that much on hand, typically a few hundred or so. I buy that from the same places when on sale and readily available. As before, buy it way in advance and on sale...

I do buy ammo in stores but only when it’s a great deal and I’m there already...mainly shotgun shells I use for weekend clay shooting. I don’t stack that stuff as deep as the rifle and pistol ammo...but I do have a few cases of quality buckshot put away for whatever...got it on sale at Cabelas.

As far as .22 goes, I finally restocked my stash last winter, and doubled it from prior levels. All with my favorite CCI Mini Mags at under 8 cents per round.

I have at least one large plastic ‘dry storage’ can per caliber, and that holds the open cases. Otherwise, my ammo is stacked/stored in their original cardboard cases on the floor in different closets and under beds in the house.

I used to reload...I may again at some point. I don’t honestly believe it is that great a savings on common caliber range ammo. If you shoot revolvers, or stuff like 10MM or .357 Sig, it might be worth it. But I am buying 9MM for 20 cents a round, .40 and .45 under a quarter a round, and .223 for under 30 cents...and at this point, my time is worth more than I save. When I retire, it may well become another hobby...not now.

Just some ideas...nothing new in this post...good luck!

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    AmmoMan is my go-to supplier. The purchase process could not be easier. No farting around with window after window. Great prices. "Free" shipping (yes, I know they cover it in the price) and I get 2% back on every $100 I spend. And they are lightning fast to ship.

Easy. Simply. Great prices. Free shipping. Rebates.

No fuss, no muss. No drama.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    They used to be mine as well. SGAmmo is much better with better pricing and shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by HummerM4 View Post
    AmmoMan is my go-to supplier. The purchase process could not be easier. No farting around with window after window. Great prices. "Free" shipping (yes, I know they cover it in the price) and I get 2% back on every $100 I spend. And they are lightning fast to ship.

Easy. Simply. Great prices. Free shipping. Rebates.

No fuss, no muss. No drama.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    I have used SG as well, but I have not noticed any significant difference. But I will compare again.

OK, I just compared my latest purchase of .223 American Eagle 55gr and if I had purchased it from SG, I would have saved $11. SG are good folks.

Maybe I'll go back go them.
    Last edited by HummerM4; 04-12-18 at 09:20.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    They used to be mine as well. SGAmmo is much better with better pricing and shipping.
    yep

SG ammo for bulk ammo
    Bonefrog for high end HD handgun ammo or Big Bore precision ammo.

I compare these two sites for best prices and desired ammo.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast