Thread: Leupold Delta Point Pro with 3X Magnifier

Feedback Score

Leupold Delta Point Pro with 3X Magnifier

So I wanted to try something different, having Aimpoints, Acogs, and other variable power optics on various rifles, I wanted to try one of the little pistol red dots on an AR. I looked hard at the RMRs, and everything Vortex had to offer, but when I was ready to buy, the Delta Point Pro stood out based on published reviews, as well as side-by-side sight picture comparisons. It looked a little bigger, with a larger window. The electronics are by all accounts reliable, and identical to those used in other established Leupold products. The glass was said to be very clear, with no tint, and paralax was said to be all but non-existent.

Anyways, I then started looking for mounts, and this turns out to be the big hang-up with this optic. Only Leupold and two other folks seem to be making any mounts, which kind of baffles me, after looking at one in the flesh. There's nothing crazy with the lugs or screw pattern. . . it even bolts down from the top. At any rate, after looking at what was available, Samson Mfg. was the clear choice. They make a proprietary mount for the DPP, with an adjustable locking QD system that is actually really cleaver.

Both arrived today after work.

I had an extra Vortex 3X that I wanted to try with the Delta Point, and with the upper 1/3 plate, it matched up great with the Samson mount. The only thing visible in the sight picture is the triangle. After focusing in for the offset, it is a nice, bright, clear red triangle in the magnifier. The poor mans Acog

I really want to single out the Samson mount in all this. It's a beautiful little piece of machine work, and locks in rock solid once adjusted. I'm impressed.

30629876_1681761115193156_2924069861749424128_n.jpg

30594476_1681761311859803_7623807545877987328_n.jpg

30594767_1681761271859807_8626382320129015808_n.jpg

30624480_1681761091859825_8468959369160032256_n.jpg

I shot it back to 100 tonight after a 50 yard zero, and it was easy to place shots and print groups with the point of the triangle. A couple drills with the mag flipped out of the way got fast, easy hits with no obstructions or knobs in the window, and no tube to look through. It doesn't seem small at all.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Grendelsnap; 04-11-18 at 19:44.

Feedback Score
    Samson also threw in a free Pmag with the mount. I thought that was pretty damn cool.

Feedback Score
    I have a DPP with the 7.5 MOA triangle on a G17 and I like it a lot. I never considered putting it on a carbine due to the size of the triangle though. Do you find it too big for distances greater than 200 yards? Great lookin setup by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retired Army Infantry

Feedback Score
    It would be accurate at any normal red dot/unmagnified distance. The POI can be adjusted to the very tip of the triangle, allowing for good precision and shot placement.

The triangle appears smaller the closer it is to your eye, so placed at the front of an M4 upper with a normal cheek weld, the triangle is similar in size to the chevron on an acog.

Only thing I don't like about this sight is the intensity adjustments. Wish there were two buttons for bright/dim. Otherwise I'm very happy with it.

Feedback Score
    I have a similar Samson mount with a Vortex Venom on it. After two years of being bounced around shooting three gun, riding in a backpack as a truck gun and other indignities the sight and mount are still going strong. I like the open feel of the MRDS better than a LPVO or even an Aimpoint micro. But I haven’t been covered in snow, rain or mud while shooting it either.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grendelsnap View Post
    It would be accurate at any normal red dot/unmagnified distance. The POI can be adjusted to the very tip of the triangle, allowing for good precision and shot placement.

The triangle appears smaller the closer it is to your eye, so placed at the front of an M4 upper with a normal cheek weld, the triangle is similar in size to the chevron on an acog.

Only thing I don't like about this sight is the intensity adjustments. Wish there were two buttons for bright/dim. Otherwise I'm very happy with it.
    Thanks for the info, I may have to pickup this mount and try my DPP on my carbine.
    Retired Army Infantry