Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality of glass? 1-6 entry level vs 1-6 high level

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Quality of glass? 1-6 entry level vs 1-6 high level

I have a Primary Arms 1-6 x 24 on my AR, and out at 200yds it seems to be a stretch in getting clarity on target. Again, this is my first scope. My question: with a Razor HD 1-6 x 24: will the target be a lot more clear and concise due to the more expensive scope? I keep reading better glass, higher quality glass on scopes. I get it, cost equals quality. Putting and entry level scope up against a high quality scope of the same magnification, how much difference does it make? Again, if I go out to 300 yds I am sure it will be even more pronounced.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I can't speak to the Razor, but the difference between good glass and cheap glass is huge. It's also something you really need to see for yourself, preferably in a side by side comparison test. Even better if it's in less than ideal lighting conditions.

Or maybe you don't. After you see good glass your previously "just fine" scope won't be.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Agree that good glass is always preferable and a joy to use. Optics are not something that can be lifehacked to achieve better results for less cost. I have nice Nightforce and Leupold scopes and great Vortex Razor HD and Zeiss Conquest HD binoculars that are bright and clear and make any lesser optic obviously inferior in comparison.

That said, I have a PA 1-6 ACSS on my fun DD5 .308 that can easily make hits on 10"+ steel out to 450Y so far. Definitely not as clear or likely reliable as my other optics but I love the reticle and can see more than clear enough to make hits on steel. If you are attempting to make small paper groups at 200 you need more magnification.

So it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish with your rifle... My serious guns wear Aimpoint, Trijicon, Nightforce, & Leupold for both quality and reliability. My fun guns use PA, Sig, Holosun, or whatever works for fun.

Enjoy!

Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 04-12-18 at 01:42.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    The short answer to your question is yes. The razor series has very good glass and will give you very good clarity out much further than you intend to use it.

More expensive glass usually means you get these increases as well: less edge distortion, better illumination, better turret tracking, access to better reticles, more robust materials and reliability, better defined eye box and eye relief, better light transmission in different light conditions, and of course the glass clarity itself.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    While I truly love PA products, I replaced the 1-6 I had with a Vortex Gen II 1-6

Much better scope, very good glass for the money.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You will greatly appreciate the difference of the better glass. Burris has a nice 1-8 with good glass as well.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt in TN View Post
    I can't speak to the Razor, but the difference between good glass and cheap glass is huge. It's also something you really need to see for yourself, preferably in a side by side comparison test. Even better if it's in less than ideal lighting conditions.
    Or maybe you don't. After you see good glass your previously "just fine" scope won't be.
    Yes, this. And it's not only resolution, it's also color, absence of chromatic aberration (which affects resolution but is distinct), field of view, size of the black ring around the image, etc.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Agree that good glass is always preferable and a joy to use. Optics are not something that can be lifehacked to achieve better results for less cost. I have nice Nightforce and Leupold scopes and great Vortex Razor HD and Zeiss Conquest HD binoculars that are bright and clear and make any lesser optic obviously inferior in comparison.

That said, I have a PA 1-6 ACSS on my fun DD5 .308 that can easily make hits on 10"+ steel out to 450Y so far. Definitely not as clear or likely reliable as my other optics but I love the reticle and can see more than clear enough to make hits on steel. If you are attempting to make small paper groups at 200 you need more magnification.

So it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish with your rifle... My serious guns wear Aimpoint, Trijicon, Nightforce, & Leupold for both quality and reliability. My fun guns use PA, Sig, Holosun, or whatever works for fun.

Enjoy!

Dennis.
    This man gives you wise counsel.

Feedback Score
    I used to be a viper guy till I tried out the Accupoints and Accupower glass. Now that’s all I use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    This man gives you wise counsel.
    I will 3rd this wise counsel

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast