Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock grip reduction methodology and specific smith recommendation request...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Glock grip reduction methodology and specific smith recommendation request...

I'm told that there is more than one method of doing these.

The method I have heard of is filling the void with an epoxy and then grinding down the backstrap.

The concerns I've heard and researched over this is separation or delamination.

Additionally I am told that the texture on these does not last.

Furthermore, although I am generally impressed with Robar and especially their NP3, my research indicated that Robar uses the fill and grind method and that their texture does not last.

Can you tell me what the other methods besides fill and grind are and which smiths are known to use other methods besides the fill and grind that I am clearly wanting to avoid?

Thanks.

TED

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TED View Post
    I'm told that there is more than one method of doing these.

The method I have heard of is filling the void with an epoxy and then grinding down the backstrap.

The concerns I've heard and researched over this is separation or delamination.

Additionally I am told that the texture on these does not last.

Furthermore, although I am generally impressed with Robar and especially their NP3, my research indicated that Robar uses the fill and grind method and that their texture does not last.

Can you tell me what the other methods besides fill and grind are and which smiths are known to use other methods besides the fill and grind that I am clearly wanting to avoid?

Thanks.

TED

The two most popular methods are the fill and grind, as you mentioned before and the heat method. The heat method is employed by heating the back strap area and mashing down and remolding the back straps profile.

The advantages to the fill and grind method, it is easier and faster to accomplish. The negatives, texturing must be done by adding a second material, which can in turn wear off, or flake. De-lamination, can occur, but it is quite rare.

The heat method advantages are it retains the integrity of the frame, and the texturing can be done with a heat tool, wood burning tool or equivalent, and done to the parent polymer. This means the texturing won't wear or flake off. The disadvantage to this process, it it takes a bit of skill to do it correctly, and does take more time to achieve a nice finished profile.

There are a few other process out there, but I do not recommend anyone without experience try them as they can get out of hand quickly, and permanently ruin a project.

Robar does excellent work, but their texturing is added on, and can and will flake off with use.

Bore sight Solutions is another one that does fantastic work. He uses a method more like the heat method, but it is modified. I haven't be able to get a super close look at one of his pistols, so I am not 100% sure exactly how they are done, but I know he applied texturing to the parent material, and is not added on.

Bowie Tactical Concepts is another solid company for reductions. He doesn't use the fill and grind method either. His process is a hybrid process, which also applies texturing to the parent polymer.

There are a lot of places doing texturing work, but not full reduction work. The places mentioned above are doing full reduction work as well as other work, and they have been doing them longer than most anyone else.

While I hate self promoting, I also do a little reduction work, and I use a hybrid type process as well. This allows the texturing to be done to the parent polymer with a heat tool so it doesn't wear of flake off. It also retains the integrity of the frame.

This should give you a place to start as far as researching and deciding on what and where to go. Googling those names and glock grip reduction work should provide a ton of images to check out as well.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 04-12-18 at 08:26.
    Cerified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer
    NRA/LE Firearms Instructor
    ColdBoreCustom.com

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    TXPO, any examples of your work that you would like to share? I have been looking for someone to reduce a G20SF.

Buckaroo

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've stippled or "textured" things in the past and its my experience that with a lot of use that the grip factor will reduce over time when it comes to polymer. I'm just adding that in as a piece of info.

Feedback Score
    I highly recommend Gadsden Gun Works. I've had two Glock 17s reduced by him and he does fantastic, clean work. Check out his Facebook page for pics.

He adds in another mod that I've only seen Boresight Solutions do. He narrows and polishes the area of the frame where the web of your hand sits, giving you a little more reach to the trigger.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    TXPO, any examples of your work that you would like to share? I have been looking for someone to reduce a G20SF.

Buckaroo

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    I only have a few right now, as I have been transferring databases.

Did the grip work on this, but the machine work was done by MOD1 for me.

Here is a G21

and a 19 Grip chop

You can go to Coldborecustom.com also to see some more specific examples.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 04-12-18 at 16:32.
    Cerified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer
    NRA/LE Firearms Instructor
    ColdBoreCustom.com

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    TXPO - thanks for taking the time to post that.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’m not a huge Glock guy, but that looks like some very nice work.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I have outstanding work done by Dakota Glock Guy. I've also had really good work by Rocket City Stippling.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've got 2 done by Boresight Solutions, a 19 & a 43, with a 17 that should be done next month. Ben does phenomenal work & I especially like that his mods are well thought out from a hard-use standpoint & not just done to look cool. I would highly recommend him, though I understand that there are other capable smiths out there as well. Ben just happens to be the one I have experience with.

By the way, I think the grip reduction is a FANTASTIC modification, really changed the way I present a Glock and has me flat & on target a lot faster. YMMV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast