Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LPVO advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

LPVO advice

I don’t have the ability to check them out first hand so I’m looking for advice. I have checked specs and watched vids, but I’m interested in the thoughts here. I will be putting it on my DD M4A1 16” with BCM lower which is about 7 lbs 4 oz without optic so weight is a concern. Or should it be? I’m not sure the 8 oz or so difference between the scopes I’m considering would be that noticeable. I would like duty-grade durability and the price to stay under $1500. What are your thought on these?

Nightforce NX8 1-8
    Vortex Razor HD Gen II-E 1-6
    Trijicon Accupower 1-8
    Steiner PX4i 1-4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retired Army Infantry

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    With either one of those you're going to feel the weight and it's going to effect the balance. Depending on what you intend to do with it, my first choice of those listed would be the Steiner. If you need more range, the NX8. The Accupower DV is lacking and the Razor Gen II is a beast of an optic. Others will have varying opinions based on experience I'm sure.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The NX8 is 17 oz. I use other scopes of the same weight (NXS 1-4 and MK 6 1-6) on rifles similar to yours and do not feel that the balance is ruined. I’ve also used Accupowers and feel that they are overall lacking in comparison with Nightforce compacts. I’ve never used the Steiner or Razor but I’ve heard that the latter is a pig- though seemingly popular.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    The NX8 is 17 oz. I use other scopes of the same weight (NXS 1-4 and MK 6 1-6) on rifles similar to yours and do not feel that the balance is ruined. I’ve also used Accupowers and feel that they are overall lacking in comparison with Nightforce compacts. I’ve never used the Steiner or Razor but I’ve heard that the latter is a pig- though seemingly popular.
    Didn't say it "ruined" the balance. I said it would affect the balance. To what degree really depends on you and how your rig is set up. I had a 17-ounce optic on my 16" SR15 and it definitely affected the balance when compared to a micro RDS, throwing just a little bit more weight towards the rear. Plenty of guys shooting LPVOs these days and it's really not that big a deal.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    Didn't say it "ruined" the balance. I said it would affect the balance. To what degree really depends on you and how your rig is set up. I had a 17-ounce optic on my 16" SR15 and it definitely affected the balance when compared to a micro RDS, throwing just a little bit more weight towards the rear. Plenty of guys shooting LPVOs these days and it's really not that big a deal.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    I wasn’t actually responding to your post, lol, but rather the OP. You’re right, balance is definitely affected-especially compared to a RDS. My point was that the handling quality with a 17 oz scope is not that noticeable (to me anyway).

I forgot that there is a new lighter weight Razor out there.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    I wasn’t actually responding to your post, lol, but rather the OP. You’re right, balance is definitely affected-especially compared to a RDS. My point was that the handling quality with a 17 oz scope is not that noticeable (to me anyway).

I forgot that there is a new lighter weight Razor out there.
    My bad. I've looked through the Razors and they are stellar optics without a doubt. Just a bit on the chubby side for a 556 carbine IMO. Although the Gen II is comparable in size and weight to the NF 1-8x ATACR, which I feel are better suited for 762 set-ups.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    The new 21.5oz razor is the best all around optic in your list. If size and capability with drawbacks (Fov and eyebox) is what you want then go with the nx8.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I have considered the Steiner a lot and it seems to be a fine scope for under $600 to boot. The Kahles is out of my price range unfortunately. I was also considering just going with an ACOG, but I’ve heard that it costs $400 to recharge the tridium when it dies. I know they have battery powered ones now too, but I’m not sure how they perform.
    I guess I should also look at the Vortex PST Gen II 1-6, it a little beefy at 22.+ oz though. Thanks again for the helpful suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retired Army Infantry

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Fwiw the Khales can be had for about the same as the NX8, but it blows it out of the water imo. FFP and 8x is ridiculous for a LPVO as it negatively effects 1x performance;which is where my LPVO’s are used most. If you need FFP and 8x then you really need a dedicated precision rifle scope. The technology just doesn’t exist yet for Razor 1-6 or Khales field of view/eye box AND FFP or 8x top end.

Based on your distances and ranges and seemingly close to mid range distances, I would do a 1-4. It’ll give you all the magnification you need and save you a lot of money. As far as which one, I had the Trijcon Accupower but will likely replace it with the steiner. Field of view and eyebox are comparable but I like the idea of Steiner’s bright illumination. However, the segmented circle of Accupower while not daylight bright was easy to pick up due to size and boldness. Frankly I’m just waiting to get hands on with a Steiner before making the decision.

Feedback Score
    Honestly, if weight is of primary concern then a LPVO is the wrong path to take.

Any of the options listed are great optics, but they all have relatively high weight penalties compared to a compact fixed mag optic or a RDS.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast