Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LPVO advice

Feedback Score
    I have considered the Steiner a lot and it seems to be a fine scope for under $600 to boot. The Kahles is out of my price range unfortunately. I was also considering just going with an ACOG, but I’ve heard that it costs $400 to recharge the tridium when it dies. I know they have battery powered ones now too, but I’m not sure how they perform.
    I guess I should also look at the Vortex PST Gen II 1-6, it a little beefy at 22.+ oz though. Thanks again for the helpful suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retired Army Infantry

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Fwiw the Khales can be had for about the same as the NX8, but it blows it out of the water imo. FFP and 8x is ridiculous for a LPVO as it negatively effects 1x performance;which is where my LPVO’s are used most. If you need FFP and 8x then you really need a dedicated precision rifle scope. The technology just doesn’t exist yet for Razor 1-6 or Khales field of view/eye box AND FFP or 8x top end.

Based on your distances and ranges and seemingly close to mid range distances, I would do a 1-4. It’ll give you all the magnification you need and save you a lot of money. As far as which one, I had the Trijcon Accupower but will likely replace it with the steiner. Field of view and eyebox are comparable but I like the idea of Steiner’s bright illumination. However, the segmented circle of Accupower while not daylight bright was easy to pick up due to size and boldness. Frankly I’m just waiting to get hands on with a Steiner before making the decision.

Feedback Score
    Honestly, if weight is of primary concern then a LPVO is the wrong path to take.

Any of the options listed are great optics, but they all have relatively high weight penalties compared to a compact fixed mag optic or a RDS.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Light weight is not my primary concern, but is an added bonus for sure. The NF is attractive because of the mag range and it’s light weight. I should add the Khales is great, but I can get MIL/LEO discounts on the optics I’m considering. I haven’t found the Khales discounted anywhere though.

Retired Army Infantry

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    Fwiw the Khales can be had for about the same as the NX8, but it blows it out of the water imo. FFP and 8x is ridiculous for a LPVO as it negatively effects 1x performance;which is where my LPVO’s are used most. If you need FFP and 8x then you really need a dedicated precision rifle scope. The technology just doesn’t exist yet for Razor 1-6 or Khales field of view/eye box AND FFP or 8x top end.

Based on your distances and ranges and seemingly close to mid range distances, I would do a 1-4. It’ll give you all the magnification you need and save you a lot of money. As far as which one, I had the Trijcon Accupower but will likely replace it with the steiner. Field of view and eyebox are comparable but I like the idea of Steiner’s bright illumination. However, the segmented circle of Accupower while not daylight bright was easy to pick up due to size and boldness. Frankly I’m just waiting to get hands on with a Steiner before making the decision.
    The CC feature on the current S&B 1-8x Shortdot CC and the upcoming 1-8x ShortDot Dual CC addresses this, no? Although admittedly price way above what most would pay for an LPVO, and I'm hearing the new soon to be released Steiner 1-6x and current 1-8x ATACR both feature true 1x. I might still get the new S&B when released to compare to the ATACR. Winner gets to stay.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    The CC feature on the current S&B 1-8x Shortdot CC and the upcoming 1-8x ShortDot Dual CC addresses this, no? Although admittedly price way above what most would pay for an LPVO, and I'm hearing the new soon to be released Steiner 1-6x and current 1-8x ATACR both feature true 1x. I might still get the new S&B when released to compare to the ATACR. Winner gets to stay.
    The "CC" feature just resets your parallax to 7y instead of the 100y for the rest of your magnification range. I've had to send mine back for recalibration and suspect that this feature could cause more problems than solutions in S&B optics that feature the "CC" setting. My concern for the Dual CC is the reticle in that it will be too weak to use below 8x. NF is doing FFP right in their reticle designs in that there are features of the reticle that remain strong at 1x and don't leave the user dependent upon electronics.
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 04-13-18 at 10:35.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    The "CC" feature just resets your parallax to 7y instead of the 100y for the rest of your magnification range. I've had to send mine back for recalibration and suspect that this feature could cause more problems than solutions in S&B optics that feature the "CC" setting.
    Interesting. Why did it need to be recalibrated?
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Got stuck on 7 yard parallax...

4-8x was a blurry mess...still could be used at lower mag. It's been fine since then, but the 1-8CC is far from my favorite S&B SD model...
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 04-13-18 at 10:57.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    Got stuck on 7 yard parallax...

4-8x was a blurry mess...still could be used at lower mag.
    I see. I wonder if perfecting this system is the reason for such a long delay in the rollout of the Dual CC version.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dhnut1973 View Post
    Light weight is not my primary concern, but is an added bonus for sure. The NF is attractive because of the mag range and it’s light weight. I should add the Khales is great, but I can get MIL/LEO discounts on the optics I’m considering. I haven’t found the Khales discounted anywhere though.

Email Swarovski (Khales parent/sister company) and request their government pricing. You’ll be pleased.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast