Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me into, or out of, buying a 10mm

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was just in the same boat and I bought a Glock 40 10mm. Knowing I can run 40S&W through the Glock 10mm will ease my ammo cost concern. And before anyone says you can't fire 40 S&W in a Glock 10mm a lot are doing it without a glitch. (Not endorsed by Glock and my opinion only).
    Last edited by 9mmsteve; 04-13-18 at 11:53.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have a G20. It's huge and I rarely shoot it. But it's powerful and capable.

I'm hanging on to it for now, but doubt I would buy one again if I had it to do over.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    10mm's are awesome. Semi auto equivalent to .357 mag. Buy one, and buy some Underwood ammo and have a blast!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DirectTo View Post
    I have a S&W 1006.

Shooting it is literally the happiest a firearm has ever made me feel. Sharp but comfortable recoil, lots of noise but not ear shattering, and a chest thump that makes you smile without getting that "wtf?" (but still great) feeling a .50 Deagle gives you.

They're range toys - no way I'd want a plastic fantastic G29, I want something with mass and spring rates to offset the power, but I think everyone should own at least one. If you don't like it, I promise you can sell it for a good price.
    Nice, I picked up a 1066 a couple years ago and love it. It did cost a pretty penny though.

Feedback Score

Talk me into, or out of, buying a 10mm

A hot load through a 10mm is actually more powerful than a .357. It can approach a weak. 44 magnum.

Correct, most commercially available ammunition isn’t pushed to the extreme. You either need to handload, or go with underwood or buffalo bore. The good commercial 10mm stuff still does pretty well though compared to the usual auto calibers.

Edited: There IS a good reason the 10mm with hot loads is becoming the “bear gun” of choice up in AK. A hot load with a 200-220 grain hard cast lead round is pretty potent. It kicks less than a .44 Mag so you have good shot placement if you have to dump several rounds in a charging Griz.

I got a G20 and have no regrets. It is my camping, and walking in the woods gun.

MY biggest mistake in getting that, is that I still want a 1911. Now... rather than just going with the flow in buying a .45, I’m thinking of getting one in 10mm. Sigh. It never ends.
    Last edited by Det-Sog; 04-13-18 at 13:12.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    A hot load through a 10mm is actually more powerful than a .357. It can approach a weak. 44 magnum.

Correct, most commercially available ammunition isn’t pushed to the extreme. You either need to handload, or go with underwood or buffalo bore. The good commercial 10mm stuff still does pretty well though compared to the usual auto calibers.

Edited: There IS a good reason the 10mm with hot loads is becoming the “bear gun” of choice up in AK. A hot load with a 200-220 grain hard cast lead round is pretty potent. It kicks less than a .44 Mag so you have good shot placement if you have to dump several rounds in a charging Griz.

I got a G20 and have no regrets. It is my camping, and walking in the woods gun.

MY biggest mistake in getting that, is that I still want a 1911. Now... rather than just going with the flow in buying a .45, I’m thinking of getting one in 10mm. Sigh. It never ends.
    Yep, I carry a 10mm with Underwood 220 hard cast in black bear country. Or my .357 mag with hard casts, or federal jacketed soft points which are actually hard and behave like hard casts.

Honestly though, a 10mm isn't anywhere near .44 mag territory, maybe somewhere in between .357 and a weak .41 mag.
    Last edited by kirkland; 04-13-18 at 14:13.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I want a 1911 in 10mm.
    Ruger, Colt, and Springfield all come to mind as good choices. All are not the same quality and finish, but neither are their prices.

Personally, I want one too. I keep thinking I'm going to get a Glock 20 Gen 4 to match my G21-G4 that I really like for the range and Boonies, but with Underwood 255Gr +P hard cast bullets for the boonies, I have a hard time putting out the money.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So among Ruger, Colt, or Springfield, which one is best?

(Maybe Molly's carrying a 10mm. See avatar.)
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 04-13-18 at 18:14.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I just did it last week, picked up a Glock 20 gen4. Woods gun, I have some old Silvertips for it and some Underwood coming. .40 for plinking.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I want a 1911 in 10mm.
    Go nuts. I have 9 10mm guns through so I might not be the one to ask. Only one of them is a 1911 though(colt delta elite).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast