Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me into, or out of, buying a 10mm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    So among Ruger, Colt, or Springfield, which one is best?

(Maybe Molly's carrying a 10mm. See avatar.)
    Best? Or most expensive?

The Ruger 1911 series is solid and good value...

The Colt isa great choice...middle ground.. . The SA TRP is sweet but most costly...

All will work...none are best at everything...IMO...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Lots of 10 mm handguns out there now, the Dan Wesson is a really nice 1911 but pricey, and the Sig 220 is available in 10 also. And the S&W 10xx series is still a viable option but mags are no longer made and getting pricey.

Colt Delta Elite
    Dan Wesson RZ-10
    EAA Witness P Carry
    Glock Flat Dark Earth Gen 4 Full-Size Pistol
    Kimber Eclipse Custom II
    Para USA Elite LS Hunter
    Remington 1911 R1 Semi-automatic Hunter LS
    Rock Island Armory TAC Ultra MS
    Sig Sauer P220
    Wilson Combat Classic
    Last edited by mack7.62; 04-14-18 at 08:50.

Feedback Score
    I carried a 1006 for a few years when my agency issued them. FWIW 10mm Silvertips put injured deer down better than .357 Silvertips did.
    I recently scratched my 10mm itch with a Ruger SR1911 and couldn’t be happier. I reload but 10mm ammo is available and reasonably priced compared to .357/.41/.44 which it equates to.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    It is a urban myth today that 10 MM ammo is expensive.
    Absolutely correct

I got into 10mm after a decade of shooting hot 38 super before it was cool. (Bought my first commander in super around 79 or so). I 2as shooting metallic silhouette pistol, and was playing with semis just for fun. You really see how wimpy 45 gets very quickly, plus drop. Don't even think about 9.

My baseline was to duplicate 4" 357 ballistics in a semi. When 10mm & 1911 had its their first fall from favor when the Wonder nines came out in the early 80s I bought an SS Delta Elite dirt cheap and have been shooting a ten ever since.

People really underestimate the 10mm flexibility, you can go super hot and approach 41 magnum. Go light and hot and you can easily duplicate 357. (Or beat it) Go heavy and slow it down a bit and it shoots just like a 45 with almost identical ballistics.

I get bulk 40 caliber bullets for almost nothing, close to 9mm prices and significantly cheaper than 45. I can use fast powders like the 45 uses for lite plinking loads like 9/40. Use powders like blue dot for a little bit more steam, Or get into the Magnum powders for really hot stuff.

I don't do it because I have a ton of 10mm brass, but even 1911 Shooters are shooting 40 in 10mm 1911 barrels with no problems. I wouldn't advise it casually, and have considered getting a 40 Barrel, but it's just too easy for me to reload 10mm.

We are now in the third rise of 10mm in popularity. I'm sure it'll fall again and rise again my kids get my guns..

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    It is a fantastic addition to any gun collection. 10mm isn’t a great fit for daily carry guns, but man what a gun when you need a gun.

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    Asking a board full of enablers to stop you from buying a 10......LOL!

IIRC Colt might get hurt with the full power stuff? I would like to try a G20, and a G29 as I am a Glock fanboi. My first 10 will cost less than $400

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How do you get away with varying the energy of the load so much? If I load it to full house spec, certainly it'll operate the action. But if I download significantly, won't that cause problems with cycling, e.g. stove-piping? What gives here?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    How do you get away with varying the energy of the load so much? If I load it to full house spec, certainly it'll operate the action. But if I download significantly, won't that cause problems with cycling, e.g. stove-piping? What gives here?
    I've downloaded way below 40 velocities with light bullets and 231 and had it not fully cycle. Bumped it up a bit, and no problems. Pretty wide range though with factory springs. I know some go up on the springs.

Back when I first got into 10mm (mid 80s?) all the "no hot loads in colts" stuff was not around, nor were fully supported chambers a thing. I reloaded to maximums, it was pretty much all I shot.flat primers and all.

Now I keep it milder unless hunting or defense loads.
    Last edited by pinzgauer; 04-15-18 at 22:53.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What velocity do you recommend in 180 grain FMJ?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So, if I can choose between the Ruger 1911 and the Colt Delta Elite 1911, which one should I pick up?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast