Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Keymod or M-LOK, and why?

Feedback Score
    You'll be fine either way. Eventually keymod will die since SOCOM did a side by side and determined MLOK was more durable, but unless your doing crazy stuff with your rifle it's overkill for what you need.

If I were you I'd buy keymod if you find some great deals and like the way it looks. If the price is the same either way, get mlok.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have both Keymod and M-lok. Keymod is easier to install, however only installs one direction which can be problematic with light mounts compared to m-lok. M-lok is structurally stronger and direction doesn't matter as far as mounting, however, it takes up more space on the inside of the rail, which may or may not be a problem depending on what rail you are using. I have had to shorten screws and shave the inside of m-lok rail panels on some of my rifles to get things installed where I wanted them. Never had to do that with keymod. I like both, the both have their perks. Quad rails are still relevant too if they fit your needs and wants, still stronger than both keymod or m-lok.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDB View Post
    I was looking at this upper and wondered which handguard style is the better choice and why? I have no specific plans of accessory attachment at this point. Maybe a light later on. Maybe either a grip or hand stop. Maybe nothing. Also, any input on Aero Precision is appreciated.

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-18...ete-upper.html
    I prefer MLok because I think MLok vents better than KM. The minds behind KM though are innovators in the industry (Vltor and John Noveske) and I think as an attachment system, it may be even easier than MLok as there is no "nut aligning". The nuts used on Keymod are usually cut in a way that sorta snug up on the inside the keyhole of the rail. But all that said, I still prefer MLok, and part of it is aesthetics, I won't lie, I think MLok is just a cleaner look.

I've use Aero Precision uppers and lowers on probably 90% of my builds (21) and I've never even had to debate over sending a part back. Their fit has been spot on, and no issues with finish. I've got a good friend with an Aero rail on his 308 and aside from it have a larger circumference he says it's a quality product, sturdy and well made. And he's a very particular guy I can tell you that.

BLUF: You can buy with confidence. Nobody is perfect though, and I'm sure folks have had issues with Aero, just like they've (and me) have had issues with BCM, and KAC etc. But I think Aero has good quality assurance practices in place and catches the blems pretty consistently.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Screw both of them. Quadrail ftw

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I own both and both are great systems. M-LOK looks prettier if that matters to you but KeyMod gets the job done as well. The main problem with KeyMod is that some people don't know how to properly install components or the components are not made to the correct standards. I'm perfectly happy with my KeyMod rails. I'm also perfectly happy with my M-LOK rails. They get the job done and seem to be a bit tougher.

I have no plans to dump my KeyMod, M-LOK or Quad Rails.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If I were buying a rail right now and didn't already have accessories for a certain system, I'd choose MLOK or picatinny. That said, I don't have any problems with my KMR and it was a hell of a lot simpler and quicker installing/repositioning accessories on keymod or 1913 than on my buddy's DD MLOK rail.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I prefer MLok because I think MLok vents better than KM. The minds behind KM though are innovators in the industry (Vltor and John Noveske) and I think as an attachment system, it may be even easier than MLok as there is no "nut aligning". The nuts used on Keymod are usually cut in a way that sorta snug up on the inside the keyhole of the rail. But all that said, I still prefer MLok, and part of it is aesthetics, I won't lie, I think MLok is just a cleaner look.

I've use Aero Precision uppers and lowers on probably 90% of my builds (21) and I've never even had to debate over sending a part back. Their fit has been spot on, and no issues with finish. I've got a good friend with an Aero rail on his 308 and aside from it have a larger circumference he says it's a quality product, sturdy and well made. And he's a very particular guy I can tell you that.

BLUF: You can buy with confidence. Nobody is perfect though, and I'm sure folks have had issues with Aero, just like they've (and me) have had issues with BCM, and KAC etc. But I think Aero has good quality assurance practices in place and catches the blems pretty consistently.
    I never thought about the venting aspect of MLOK. Have you seen any cooling rate tests on mlok vs keymod vs 1913?

Feedback Score
    MLok for sure. I had an original KMR upper and it turned me off on the system. Some of the attachment points deformed when tightening. Also with MLok if something gets loose it has a tendency to slide back and forth but stay attached. Key mod it just falls off. Trying to shoot a drill with a M600 swinging on 6” of pressure switch cord is pretty sporting. Not hating but definitely have a preference. I love my MCMR upper.

Feedback Score
    I went with MLOK on my recent build for 3 main reasons:

I personally prefer the look of MLOK over Keymod slots.

I like using magpul products because they're cost effective and well built in my experience.

And at the bottom of the list: that stress test the government preformed a little while back. Its conclusive by any means and it only tipped slightly in MLOK's favor, but Ill put my money on the better preformer under scrutiny.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Keymod or M-LOK, and why?

Quote Originally Posted by BoltActionAssault View Post
    I never thought about the venting aspect of MLOK. Have you seen any cooling rate tests on mlok vs keymod vs 1913?
    I have not. I’m really basing that on mlok allowing more airflow based mon slots that allow lore volume of air. I might be wrong but I also believe the cooling those types of slots provide were a factor in how Kyle Lamb designed the Troy VTAC Alpha rail. It’s slotted rather than circular holes like the Troy Alpha. I might be off on that but I recall learning about that from someone in the know.
    I suppose it’s easier enough to test. I have an mlok rail and a keymod; both 16” barrels a couple BCM upper receiver groups. I test that out next time I go to the range. Or whenever I can pick up one of those laser temperature guns.

I’ve read through Crane’s presentation of KeyMod vs. MLok and it was pretty obvious to me that MLok is a better system. The Km showed the propensity to separate from the hand-guard itself on more than one occasion .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 05-05-18 at 08:23.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast