Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats the advantage of an 18" barrel over a 14.5" Barrel?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Realistically there's nothing you can hit with a 18" barrel that you can't hit with a 14.5" or 16" barrel. But that 18" will hurt you if you trying to get in and out of cars with the thing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Realistically there's nothing you can hit with a 18" barrel that you can't hit with a 14.5" or 16" barrel. But that 18" will hurt you if you trying to get in and out of cars with the thing.
    That wasn't really the point though was it?
    I was looking for another upper as host to an optic besides the red dot currently on the dedicated upper I have on it now.
    Being that my Son is 22 and going to college as he works a full time job, he doesn't have the scratch for a single AR. Giving him that one, plus an upper with a good 3x9x40 scope on it would enhance that, having a longer barrel would add to the potential of increased velocity with better ammunition.
    Saying a 14.5 barrel will do everything an 18 inch barrel will (and clearly there is a loss of velocity,) simply isn't true or practical when it comes to the addition of a variable power optic. So one lower + two uppers is a logical solution in this case.
    I've decided to go with a BCM 20 inch upper as I have a BCM rifle now that hosts one and essentially the problem is solved.
    Thanks Though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Using "one lower, two uppers" as a guideline, I suggest looking into building the lower as a pistol utilizing the new SB Tactical SBA3 adjustable brace and the BCM A5 style RE, A5H2 buffer and Sprinco green spring.

Then, build one upper as an 18/20 inch and the second lower as an 11.5 inch. My 20 inch Battlecomp equipped upper on an A5 lower has amazingly flat recoil. My 11.5 inch upper on the same lower is also smooth and soft.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 04-18-18 at 23:03.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just ran some quick numbers through a calculator comparing M262 out of a 14.5 and 18 inch barrel at sea level:

14.5:
    MV 2590 FPS
    transonic 800-850 yards
    drop at 600 yards 5.42 Mils

MV 2780
    transonic 900-950 yards
    drop at 600 yards 4.54 Mils

So an 18 inch barrel gives you about an extra 100 yards of supersonic flight and shoots roughly a mil flatter out to 600 yards.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    "Back in the Day"...
    I dunno, I was curious about 18 inch barrels because the was an interesting price on them at the time, that deal came about the same time I asked the question. It has since left the building like Elvis and Chuck Berry.
    Eighteen inch barrels intrigued me as I have no experience with them. After reading some of the cautionary advice here concerning how they can be finicky, I'm not feeling the love.
    Honestly I was always pretty adapt at picking out where my rounds were flying, even past the three hundred yard mark with irons on my A2, "back in the day."
    I'm feeling a bit guilty that my Son, who isn't much of a shooter, doesn't share the love and doesn't own a firearm at this time. So, it's going to be a BCM 20" upper and the lower and the 14.5 rifle as a gift.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    "Back in the Day"...
    I dunno, I was curious about 18 inch barrels because the was an interesting price on them at the time, that deal came about the same time I asked the question. It has since left the building like Elvis and Chuck Berry.
    Eighteen inch barrels intrigued me as I have no experience with them. After reading some of the cautionary advice here concerning how they can be finicky, I'm not feeling the love.
    Honestly I was always pretty adapt at picking out where my rounds were flying, even past the three hundred yard mark with irons on my A2, "back in the day."
    I'm feeling a bit guilty that my Son, who isn't much of a shooter, doesn't share the love and doesn't own a firearm at this time. So, it's going to be a BCM 20" upper and the lower and the 14.5 rifle as a gift.
    Having used a M16A4 and a SDM-R overseas Im a bit partial to a 20inch rifle. I have shots on man sized targets out to 1000 yards with that SDM-R and M262. Not the easiest shooting Ive ever done but I had a full case of M262 to myself, so I had a lot of ammo to practice with. 600 and in with that rifle was actually fairly easy on man sized targets. I was limited to an ACOG so smaller targets were hard just for the fact I couldn't see it as well.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a PSA upper built with an FN chf cl barrel in 223 Wylde. I have not shot it much, but it shoots well. I don’t know if those barrels are susceptible to the erosion issues. I really like it — shoots Hornaday 75 steel match pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    edited to remove info that was just gonna clutter since OP already solved the issue.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 04-20-18 at 00:23.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Edited.....since OP got what he needed, figure I'll remove the info as not to clutter
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 04-20-18 at 00:21.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    Edited.....since OP got what he needed, figure I'll remove the info as not to clutter
    The Big T comes out of retirement, long time no hear Big Fella.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast