Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whats the advantage of an 18" barrel over a 14.5" Barrel?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    "Back in the Day"...
    Eighteen inch barrels intrigued me as I have no experience with them. After reading some of the cautionary advice here concerning how they can be finicky, I'm not feeling the love.
    I spent some time obsessing over gas system length and decided on the Noveske 18" intermediate as a 'compromise', or perhaps better tuned to that length than rifle. It functioned flawlessly this winter on 5.56 pressure ammo. Picked up with fitted bolt and pinned gas block for just under $400 (Midway clearance). Once you become symptomatic with BRD you'll build one anyway, resistance is futile...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    Edited.....since OP got what he needed, figure I'll remove the info as not to clutter
    I wish you would stop deleting the information from your posts.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Great info. I’ve got a 18” I haven’t fired yet because I haven’t purchased any glass for it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I wish you would stop deleting the information from your posts.
    We need to start quoting him.
    Trident, your posts are not “clutter”. Most of us appreciate the info.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Trident, your posts are not “clutter”. Most of us appreciate the info.

Fact.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    In the world of 14.5 versus 18, the obvious issue is length, then comes velocity and maneuverability (obviously based on the length difference). After that we can start looking at dwell times, recoil impulses, the variables in barrels for intended purposes (SS vs a myraid of others) and on and on.

The larger issue is the question of what the intended use is, and is almost always one of the first things posted in a thread. Another way to phrase the question would be to ask the OP what they intend to use as an optic (any OP, not just this one). If a user plans to mount a fixed 10x scope, or (something I wish I could publicly comment on but can't quite yet), the answer would appear to be based on a longer barrel. Not just because of a pickup in velocity, but because there is no practical way to be clearing buildings. Can a 14.5 be a dedicated precision rig? Absolutely yes it can, and it can do it admirably well if the user understands its limitations.

Below are a 14.5" and 18" setup with the same optic shown on each. For someone shooting at a KD range of 100 yards (200 or other in close ranges), and a lack of ability or intent to shoot farther, it will do everything its larger sibling will, and just as nicely. Lets not forget that those who live in the woods are not targeting the same way as those who live in the wide open desert flat land.

Lastly, quality of the barrel is so important it can't be understated. In this case, the barrels shown are an 18" MK12 barrel barrel from Monty at Centurion Arms, and a 14.5" barrel that Johnny gave me years backs. Both are fantastic and stand out above what I would consider a "typical" good barrel.

Figure the use, then figure the optic, then worry about barrel.

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    A longer barrel generally makes for a heavier gun.
    A heavier gun is easier to shoot well. Heavier guns are less sensitive to holding forces and trigger technique.
    Last edited by HelloLarry; 04-26-18 at 15:22.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    I've been thinking of buying another upper for it and putting a 3X9X30 Optic on the other upper and setting both aside to gift to my Son when he graduates.

I have to ask because I'm curious as to the the answers I would get from the brainbank here, other than as a platform for a more powerful , what would be the advantage?

I ask because I'm seeing a good deal on 18 inch uppers right now from Aero Precision.
    Thanks
    A/M
    IMHO, unless you simply MUST have a pencil barrel why don't you just buy A Windham Weaponry 16" Dissipator upper barrel assembly and call it even?

You'll get the right size carbine length barrel and the flat top upper receiver and you'll get the longer rifle-length sight distance that continuously proves to be the best length for accuracy with a 1-7" twist that will spin all popular ammo weights with no problems. Personally I think this will be your best all-around choice for a shorter barrel as opposed to the longer barrels.
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    I generally choose 16" as I like to have the ability to change muzzle devices (I keep threatening to get a suppressor) I never do change so 14.5" should work for me. I do have one Noveske complete upper with a 18" barrel. I have a Leopold VX-R 1.5 x 5 x 33 (30 MM tube) Firedot Scope on the rifle it came with a JP ? muzzle brake on it. I don't guess I shoot it any better than my 16" Armalite upper, the 18" Noveske with the scope is heavier and more unwieldy
    Last edited by Pandaz3; 04-28-18 at 01:08.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123