Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best AR-10 for suppressed use

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Best AR-10 for suppressed use

I'm looking to buy a large frame AR in 308 - this would be my first AR-10 - and I'm going to be shooting suppressed 90% of the time.

I have been eyeing the LMT and am strongly leaning in that direction but I see reports that it is overgassed for a can. I have considered buying the 20" barrel and having it cut down to 16", hopefully leaving me with an appropriate port size for that length when suppressed. Obviously this adds significant cost, but it would be worth it as long as it works as intended, and of course I could then have barrels in 2 calibers.

Are there better options for an off the shelf 16" gun that isn't overgassed with a can?

Has anyone here cut down an LMT 18" or 20" barrel that can report on function with/without a can?

Cans that might be used - omega, sandman s, maybe sandman k.

Edited for spelling and stuff.
    Last edited by jhr1986; 04-16-18 at 13:55.

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    Sample size of 1, my DD5V1 seems a tad under gassed from the factory. It wouldn't cycle Federal XM80CL for the first couple hundred rounds. Heavier weighted rounds and other makes of 147-149 grainers worked fine.

With the suppressor it would cycle the Federal just fine, no gas to the face, soft shooting, hearing safe (to my ear at least). Now that things have worn it a bit it cycles the XM80CL just fine un-suppressed but is still a pleasure when shooting suppressed. I'm using an Omega attached to the muzzle break. If I had to do it over again, I would probably not do the DD, mostly due to cost. It was touted as being the best thing going when I bought it, but several other makers have come out with decent AR10s at lower prices since I bought mine. There is always the build your own option as well.

Have you thought an adjustable gas block or gas port reduction inserts (I'm spacing on the name, MarkM and I think Pappabear have used them) as a cheaper option. Buy the rifle you want for the features you want and then fine tune the gas as needed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by operator81 View Post
    Have you thought an adjustable gas block or gas port reduction inserts (I'm spacing on the name, MarkM and I think Pappabear have used them) as a cheaper option. Buy the rifle you want for the features you want and then fine tune the gas as needed.
    The LMT MWSes have pressed on gas blocks that are very difficult to remove, as they are hydraulically pressed on, and also have a 45° gas port, so a gas port insert or new AGB is going to be a very expensive option. I believe they also run straight gas tubes, so the new EZCustomTune gas tubes aren't an option, either.

Might have better luck running one of the Gemtech .308 adjustable carriers.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My buddy has a PWS MK216 308 it's a dream to shoot suppressed. I believe he uses the 2nd setting on his adjustable gas block(takes about 2 seconds to adjust with tool through hand guard)it will eat any ammo you want to feed it right out of the box, cycle like a dream and if there is any blowback I can't detect it. The ejection pattern is right ~ 3-4 o'clock. I think he's had it close to 5 years now maybe 4, but has run the stink out of it that rifle is a tested performer it's been hunted and shot a ton. Just checked their web page the 16" are back ordered, but they have a sale on the 20" for a shade under 2k. I own the Mk 116 Mod-1 7.62x39 same thing runs like a dream and I pound steel cased through it never had a single FTF or FTE took 5 hogs with it last night none took a step. Only reason I didn't do the 308 is weight b/c most all our shooting at night is offhand standing in fields and I'm getting old that few pounds is a lot for this old fart helps with my accuracy on a long night of toting around a rig. Lordy after looking at the price for LMT 308s I can't fathom buying one that isn't suppressor ready and perfect out of the box for that kind of coin.

https://www.primaryweapons.com/product-url-3231
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 04-14-18 at 12:05.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the info fellas. I had dismissed the DDM5 based on so many reports of their 556 rifles being overgassed, leading me to believe the same would be true of their .308 guns so I will have to take another look at these and find some more reports of suppressed usage.

PWS really wasn't on my radar either - I was vaguely aware of them but I have never had a piston AR and therefore hadn't really considered them either but an adjustable gas piston gun may be a great option for shooting with a can.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhr1986 View Post
    PWS really wasn't on my radar either - I was vaguely aware of them but I have never had a piston AR and therefore hadn't really considered them either but an adjustable gas piston gun may be a great option for shooting with a can.
    PWS was not only my first piston AR(old bring back SKS), but also first adjustable gas block. Never had any issues with DI guns all the way back to my first Colt Sporter HBAR they run great. Having said that in my book the price for a 308AR can get hefty and for a smidge under $2k PWS gets you quite a lot

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a PWS MK216, and I use it suppressed 90% of the time. It's a great rifle for the money. The recoil is very mild compared to other AR-10 style rifles I've used, the gas adjustment is easy to operate and works well, and most of all it is accurate and reliable.

If you are planning on going suppressed I highly recommend the PWS.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    President of Trigon Armament Inc.

FFL-07 SOT-02

AR-15 Armorer

Competitive Shooter

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Are you opposed to building it?

I just built an Aero M5E1 and went with a Rainier Ultramatch (rifle gas) barrel and SLR adjustable gas block. Between the accuracy guarantee of the barrel and Aero’s customer service I have no concerns going forward. Not too mention by doing it myself I know everything is done correctly and gas is tuned based on my ammo exactly.

Last edited by sidewaysil80; 04-14-18 at 20:08.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OIPactual View Post
    I have a PWS MK216, and I use it suppressed 90% of the time. It's a great rifle for the money. The recoil is very mild compared to other AR-10 style rifles I've used, the gas adjustment is easy to operate and works well, and most of all it is accurate and reliable.

If you are planning on going suppressed I highly recommend the PWS.

Great looking hammer what suppressor you using?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatchoslav View Post
    Great looking hammer what suppressor you using?
    Silencerco Omega and Chimera

President of Trigon Armament Inc.

FFL-07 SOT-02

AR-15 Armorer

Competitive Shooter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast