Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR Reliability Packages and Modifications

Feedback Score

AR Reliability Packages and Modifications

Hello All,

Long time lurker, first post. What gunsmiths do the more knowledgable members here recommend for reliability work on M4's? I'm aware of Specialized Armament, but don't know about any others out there with solid reputations. I recently acquired a used Colt M4 Commando that I'd like to send out for a thorough reliability package and upgraded parts. Specialized looks like a great option, but I'd like to know about my other options before sending out my SBR and want to avoid "bubba."

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Is it not currently reliable?

Do you have an idea on round count?

What upgraded parts do you have in mind?

Feedback Score
    It's reliable, but I don't know the age of the weapon (will a phone call to Colt be able to get an answer as to age), and I'm not gunsmith so not in a position to judge wear and tear on the various parts. I just want it to be in the best mechanical shape it can be.

Feedback Score
    Purchase:
    1. new carbine action spring
    2. New extractor with spring and insert (bcm also sells them, throw the oring away).
    3. Detail clean it.
    4. Inspect bolt lugs for cracks at the base of them.
    5. Shoot at a couple hundred yards and look for keyholes.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-14-18 at 13:40.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Str8shtr View Post
    It's reliable, but I don't know the age of the weapon (will a phone call to Colt be able to get an answer as to age), and I'm not gunsmith so not in a position to judge wear and tear on the various parts. I just want it to be in the best mechanical shape it can be.
    Knowing the age won't tell you how many miles are on it. Even if you have a professional scope the barrel they can only report if it is good or bad not what % of wore out it is. You could always put a new BCG, recoil spring and SSA in it call it a day. The barrel will let you know when it's gone. Keep the old stuff for spares.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    New guns with unknown histories:

1) Do nothing, shoot it and fix it as you go.

2) Replace all springs and FCG, then shoot it and fix it as you go.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    If I was purchasing a used Colt or any AR for that matter, I would do as a few have mentioned. Year of manufacture will not tell you anything about use. Inspecting it will give you an idea.

1. I would replace the ejector spring, extractor spring, disco spring, hammer and trigger springs and action spring. Inspect the bolt and carrier.

2. I would look for the obvious signs of modifications and shenanigans.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    " I would look for the obvious signs of modifications and shenanigans."

Can you be more specific? Bad modifications? Any examples?

Maybe this should be its own thread?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
    " I would look for the obvious signs of modifications and shenanigans."

Can you be more specific? Bad modifications? Any examples?

Maybe this should be its own thread?
    Reduced power FCG springs, anti rotation pins, B.A.D. levers, skelotonized anything, mall minja add ons, etc, while not necesarily immediately harmful, are all bubba red flags, and their existence would warrant further scrutiny of critical components.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BFS View Post
    Reduced power FCG springs, anti rotation pins, B.A.D. levers, skelotonized anything, mall minja add ons, etc, while not necesarily immediately harmful, are all bubba red flags, and their existence would warrant further scrutiny of critical components.
    All this would be over my head. Which is why I originally asked for recommendations for competent gunsmiths (or risk becoming Bubba myself).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast