Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR Reliability Packages and Modifications

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasos View Post
    I use anti-rotational pins because I've had 2 trigger pins walk out on me. One is an FN lower and the other is a Colt lower and both with factory triggers. Are those lowers or the pins out of spec? Maybe. Or was it poor installation or incorrect spring tension? Who knows? All I know is that once I had the anti-rotational pins installed, I never had another problem with the triggers. And the rifles have been stone-cold reliable after averaging 300 rounds weekly for the past year. So for me, the use of anti-walk pins is not a negative, unless they were installed haphazardly.
    If your Colt and FN pins are walking something is wrong or installed wrong. The anti rotate pins didn't fix it. They covered it up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    If your Colt and FN pins are walking something is wrong or installed wrong. The anti rotate pins didn't fix it. They covered it up.
    You are absolutely right. The anti-rotational pins only cover up the problem. But I'm too lazy to actually diagnose the problem(s) and they work. I'm just saying that the presence of anti-walk pins doesn't necessarily mean the weapon is bad. Heck, people put them on for "insurance" even though they never had issues with pins walking out.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    In which state can you be found? I’m sure there are members here that would be willing to meet you at a range and have a look.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    I ordered a Colt M4 with the reliability package from SAW and it is sweet, highly recommend their work. The rifle is currently setup exactly how I had my M4 when I was deployed to Afghanistan. If you can drop the coin on the package it is worth the peace of mind knowing that Ken will go through your rifle with OCD attention to detail and make it 100% reliable.

Feedback Score
    I'm not a gunsmith or AR expert. There are some great products and upgrades out there for popular firearms platforms. I will say carefully consider and research any parts or upgrading other than oem. I have seen cases where upgrading and replacing parts for better reliability and performance, turned a working firearm into a non working or unreliable firearm.
    Last edited by steelcore; 04-25-18 at 07:55.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus562 View Post
    I ordered a Colt M4 with the reliability package from SAW and it is sweet, highly recommend their work. The rifle is currently setup exactly how I had my M4 when I was deployed to Afghanistan. If you can drop the coin on the package it is worth the peace of mind knowing that Ken will go through your rifle with OCD attention to detail and make it 100% reliable.
    What was done? Did it actually have reliability issues prior? I am fascinated by what is done with these 'packages' was there any evidence of things done? I know Noveske made claims of doing 'special' things with guns that other seemed to have mil spec parts. What were these little things that added a hundreds in the price premium of the gun. SA if i recall charges a pretty penny for the mods, hundreds of dollars I believe, on a like 900$ carbine.

Always just fascinated by what goes on here. I call BS and say its mostly common knowledge things for many of us. I always feel like when these things are shrouded in secrecy its not because they are so special, but in fact because it is so basic.

Feedback Score
    Per SAW:

"The mods include: Several Barrel Assy Modifications, Multiple Gas system Modifications, Two Bolt group Modifications, Upgraded Buffer Assembly (H2 Buffer), Hammer Assembly and various other parts. Each modification is small on its own, but when grouped together, these upgrades will enhance the reliability and improve the overall function of your world class, combat proven Colt carbine. No further Technical Data will be released."

I do remember him have a separate reliability package specifically for the 6933, but I do not know how they differ from the standard package.

My rifle came directly from SAW and included the KAC rail I used on my issued M4 and had the 14-FIVE-16 barrel (street legal 14.5" barrel that SAW does). It also featured the matech rear buis and included the above mentioned reliability package. It is the closest rifle I've seen to a standard issued Colt M4 and was well worth the money.

Feedback Score
    If memory serves, there was a thread a few years back on Lightfighter regarding the SAW reliability package. Pat Rogers commented to effect that a few Colts with the reliability package have gone through his courses with 100% reliability. Overall positive feedback on it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus562 View Post
    If memory serves, there was a thread a few years back on Lightfighter regarding the SAW reliability package. Pat Rogers commented to effect that a few Colts with the reliability package have gone through his courses with 100% reliability. Overall positive feedback on it.
    How many without the upgrades made it through with 100% reliability?
    If im paying for a service, im going to know whats done. That goes for guns, cars,etc. “special secrets sauce” sounds like “bullshit”.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-25-18 at 17:36.

Feedback Score
    Considering Ken's background with Colt Defense, I think calling BS is going a little far. As far as how many Colts made it through classes without issue you would have to ask the late Pat Rogers or EAG. In regards to the OPs post, $175 to have a master armorer go through your used Colt Commando making sure all parts are within spec and adding improvements where needed is good insurance.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast