Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR Reliability Packages and Modifications

Feedback Score
    Why are anti-rotation pins and B.A.D. levers bad? Besides being a personal preference and a waste of money, how are they detrimental to the rifle?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
    Why are anti-rotation pins and B.A.D. levers bad? Besides being a personal preference and a waste of money, how are they detrimental to the rifle?
    If you need anti rotational pins then you have an out of spec lower, if its in spec whats the point?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano5326 View Post
    If you can't pick your shit up at 3pm or 0300 and it's configured to get it done 0-400m in seconds, sideways, upside down, or unstable... your a daylight range clown.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    BAD levers have been known to cause malfunctions (specifically last round bolt lock back). Other things to look for are breaking loose factory stakings on castle nuts/endplates and replacing them with trash.

Other examples are modifications such as adding rails, replacing triggers, etc.. that have been done incorrectly which happens A LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    For what it's worth, I've never heard anything bad about the actual workmanship of SAW's reliability package, other than the price and the mysterious nature of it. Whether it's actually necessary is another matter, but if it's anything like the rest of the work I've seen from them, it should be top notch.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    All of the above is good advice.

Where are you located? It's possible that a member that builds them is close enough to meet you to check it out. It would only take a few minutes, and you'd likely even learn something in the process.
    Last edited by grizzman; 04-14-18 at 23:30.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great idea Grizman!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Knowing the age won't tell you how many miles are on it. Even if you have a professional scope the barrel they can only report if it is good or bad not what % of wore out it is. You could always put a new BCG, recoil spring and SSA in it call it a day. The barrel will let you know when it's gone. Keep the old stuff for spares.
    Scoping the barrel and posting a picture of the gas port could actually allow us t o estimate not necessarily round-count, but general wear-level, which would likely extrapolate well to the rest of the system.

Feedback Score
    "Originally Posted by Dano5326 View Post
    If you can't pick your shit up at 3pm or 0300 and it's configured to get it done 0-400m in seconds, sideways, upside down, or unstable... your a daylight range clown."

Love this!

Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    All of the above is good advice.

Where are you located? It's possible that a member that builds them is close enough to meet you to check it out. It would only take a few minutes, and you'd likely even learn something in the process.
    I'm in Reno, NV.

Feedback Score
    I have used and have been happy with John Thomas at retro arms works http://www.retroarmsworks.com/ . I recently recommended him to another member for some work and he was pleased as well. He is responsive and has great pricing and quick turn around times.

ADCO would be another option. They have a good reputation, but I have heard the occasional issue. They always seem to make it right though

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
    If you need anti rotational pins then you have an out of spec lower, if its in spec whats the point?
    I use anti-rotational pins because I've had 2 trigger pins walk out on me. One is an FN lower and the other is a Colt lower and both with factory triggers. Are those lowers or the pins out of spec? Maybe. Or was it poor installation or incorrect spring tension? Who knows? All I know is that once I had the anti-rotational pins installed, I never had another problem with the triggers. And the rifles have been stone-cold reliable after averaging 300 rounds weekly for the past year. So for me, the use of anti-walk pins is not a negative, unless they were installed haphazardly.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast