Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Accurizing AR?

Feedback Score

Thoughts on Accurizing AR?

Hey guys,

I subscribe to Guns & Ammo and I saw this article on supposedly accurizing the AR-15.

Includes: lapping the receiver, loctite the barrel extension/receiver, "tuning" the gas tube, using a tighter BCG?

Thoughts on any/all of this?

http://www.gunsandammo.com/rifles/ar...ze-your-ar-15/

Best,

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    Hey guys,

I subscribe to Guns & Ammo and I saw this article on supposedly accurizing the AR-15.

Includes: lapping the receiver, loctite the barrel extension/receiver, "tuning" the gas tube, using a tighter BCG?

Best,
    Receiver lapping, a press fit between the upper and barrel extension, "bedding" the barrel into the upper with sleeve retaining compound if the fit is not optimal, and tuning the gas tube to eliminate interference with the gas key are all tricks that have been done in the high-power world for years. There are even a few videos on YouTube discussing and demonstrating some of it.

That being said, many (most?) shooters will get more mileage out of a good trigger, quality ammunition, a quality barrel, and most of all time spent working on the fundamentals of marksmanship. If a guy has crappy follow through and doesn't understand concepts like natural point of aim, bedding a barrel with sleeve retainer isn't going to do him any good.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 04-14-18 at 17:08.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    His AR is pretty much a joke to begin with. He already ****ed up with a skeletonized BAD receiver set for an precision AR. Theres a reason you dont see custom precision mfgs like GAP using skeletonized anything or even guys who mass produce precision ARs like KAC using plain receivers.

Put a carbon fiber wrapped barrel on top of that now you're just putting lipstick on a pig with all your lapping and bedding.

I tell you how make an accurized AR for half the cost and none of the BS hes doing.
    1. Get a quality receiver like a Vltor MUR, HDSI or BCM who hold pretty tight tolerances.
    2. Get a Kreiger barrel with a matching bolt.
    3. Buy literally any decent free float tube
    4. Get someone who knows what theyre doing to assemble it all.
    5. Put a good trigger in your lower
    6. Buy some good match ammo or learn how to reload.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 04-14-18 at 18:47.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hey guys,

Best,
    Useless if you do not start with an accurate BBL.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Hey guys,

I subscribe to Guns & Ammo and I saw this article...

choke-yourself-1.jpg

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Most people spend useless amounts of time reading magazines and chasing the elusive golden dragon when the answer is right in front of them. Get a good barrel, use good ammo and have a good optic and you have essentially cracked the code.

Of course, it actually helps to get out and shoot and see how your stuff actually performs as well.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You want accuracy?

1_ If not already done, add a free float handguard.

2_ Get a decent trigger. An ALG ACT or Sionics Enhanced are a good start. Geissele SSA-E would be better.

3_ Start reloading.

4_ Invest in a good optic and mount.

It's amazing how accurate an off the shelf AR is without going to all that much trouble.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    Receiver lapping, a press fit between the upper and barrel extension, "bedding" the barrel into the upper with sleeve retaining compound if the fit is not optimal, and tuning the gas tube to eliminate interference with the gas key are all tricks that have been done in the high-power world for years. There are even a few videos on YouTube discussing and demonstrating some of it.

That being said, many (most?) shooters will get more mileage out of a good trigger, quality ammunition, a quality barrel, and most of all time spent working on the fundamentals of marksmanship. If a guy has crappy follow through and doesn't understand concepts like natural point of aim, bedding a barrel with sleeve retainer isn't going to do him any good.
    I agree, especially the fundamentals of taking the shot. Case in point. Today I was zeroing my rifle at 200 yds. My breathing was off, my follow through was gone, I had too much stock movement, and my groups showed it. I realized my fundamentals had blown away, started concentrating on these things and my trigger pull and finally got my rifle zeroed.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Other thing that may be worth it if REALLY going down the rabbit hole is to try and find a monolithic receiver or one in which the handguard mounts to the receiver not the barrel nut. I suspect when preloading bipods on a traditional rail setup it may transfer to the barrel nut. It may not even have an effect or be quantifiable, but I’d imagine it can’t hurt. LaRue does it with their rifles as I’m pretty sure rail mounts to receiver and they are known for their accuracy.

I’m NOT saying this is necessary for an accurate AR at all, but it can’t hurt if building from scratch for that purpose.

(Waiting for Iraqgunz thoughts on the matter)
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 04-14-18 at 20:17.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    My recommendation to anyone wanting to "accurize" any weapon is to ensure they can shoot well enough to realize the benefits.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast