Thread: After how many weeks should you take a break from lifting?

Feedback Score

After how many weeks should you take a break from lifting?

I've lifted regularly for 30 years (with time off for surgeries of course ) but of late I've been on a 6-week per "evolution" weight workout. Done two of them, so 12 weeks without missing any workouts. How often should a break be taken for a week? I'm 52 yo if that matters.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    It’s all going to depend on your lifestyle and how much you are recovering from session to session. Diet, sleep, mobility, light cardio, breath work (if you’re into that kind of thing), and eliminating outside stressors all play a role in that equation.

When I’m really consistent with my lifts, I don’t take a total break from lifting, per se, more of a deload week to let my body recover for the next cycle. Typically do 4 week cycles with the 4th week being the deload week.

That can be structured any way you want it to though.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You really just have to listen to your body. It’s usually your legs that put you on notice first. But if you feel great workout. If you fell like shit, take a minute and rest. I was in the gym today, and thought “ am I ready to lift”. But I’ve done a bunch of house work. So I passed, stretched and did cardio.

Good luck
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    It’s all going to depend on your lifestyle and how much you are recovering from session to session. Diet, sleep, mobility, light cardio, breath work (if you’re into that kind of thing), and eliminating outside stressors all play a role in that equation.

When I’m really consistent with my lifts, I don’t take a total break from lifting, per se, more of a deload week to let my body recover for the next cycle. Typically do 4 week cycles with the 4th week being the deload week.

That can be structured any way you want it to though.
    I do 170 minutes of cardio per week (34 minutes x 5), so that wouldn't change as it regards the weights. I was just thinking about joints and tendons for a break. Mobility is one thing I need to improve upon immensely. The older I get the MUCH less "nimble" I feel, not that I was ever "nimble" per se.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 04-14-18 at 21:58.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!