Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortex - SPARC II vs SPARC AR

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Vortex - SPARC II vs SPARC AR

I recently picked up a SPARC II during Brownell’s sale. Now, PSA has the SPARC AR down to $130...

I am aware neither of these are an Aimpoint, but most reviews I’ve seen show the SPARC II as being moderately destruction-proofed. I’ve not really found a similar test of the AR.

The AR seems to be a little more streamlined in design over the II, and it uses a AAA instead of a C2032.

Anyone have thoughts on which is “better?”

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Would be better in the Optics forum.

I’ve come close to buying the AR version on sale - but at fulll price ($200)), I’d rather just wait and buy an Aimpoint Pro or ACO on sale.

I’ve looked through both at SHOT and they’re good for what they are - mass produced RDS from China that makes similar optics for SIG, Primary Arms, Holosun, etc. Pick the one you like the best and has the best warranty.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Off topic (for me), but in that price range, Primary Arms optics are much better quality.

Feedback Score
    The newer rotary dial version from Primary arms is just as or more durable with 50k how battery life. Lifetime warranty and retails $150.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I do like the rubberized armor on the Sparc AR.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MI_Steve77 View Post
    I do like the rubberized armor on the Sparc AR.
    if that is the criteria, I would go with the Trijicon MRO with a cover. I don't think PA has the rubber cover.

Vortex makes some good and some really good optics... at a different price point.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I got one based off of all the positive reviews but ended up returning it. It was probably my eyes but for some reason the red dot looked like crap to me. Ended up saving up a little more and went with the MRO.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by longshot2000 View Post
    Off topic (for me), but in that price range, Primary Arms optics are much better quality.
    Why is that? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    Why is that? Thanks.
    Well, PA has mastered the task of getting the best quality at the best price from Asian producers, and they have low overhead, and a great warranty. The basic micro red dot performs quite well, and has no stadia. Construction quality is easy to tell it is not Aimpoint, but at under $100, it is hard to beat. The next level up and the level up from there with PA becomes better and better. If you move to one of the PA ACSS reticles, even Trijicon is making them in an ACOG, so pretty impressive at very moderate prices.

Vortex builds at many levels. Their PST Gen 2 line is good, and the Razor Gen 2 very good. The SPARC and the Strike Eagle leave me with the impression that a different company makes these all together. We all come with our own biases and I am a bit of an optics snob, but I find the Sparc too green tinted and the Strike Eagle having a reticle that is just too thick to use for real shooting. Probably real good for Airsoft, I don't know. I don't play Airsoft of painball, but if I did, I would seriously consider the SPARC.

In the red dot space, I would look at quality of optics and solid construction and warranty and go with: PA Mico < PA Enhanced < Trijicon MRO < Aimpoint H2 < Aimpoint T2 < Aimpoint CompM5. I am probably missing another good red-dot somewhere. Maybe one of the Steiner or Trijicon RMR types.

One guys thought. Another guy might have a different thought.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks. I though you had supporting data is why I asked. Have several Vortex, one Holosun, and no PA as yet. I figure there's not much difference between the overseas Vortex, PA, Holosun, TruGlo, a couple of others. Regarding the SPARC, I have the AR and it has no green "tint" that I notice. If it does, I haven't noticed any degradation in my acquisition and accuracy. Only my Venom's coating is easily discernible but of no consequence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast