Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: First time AR buyer: Requesting sanity check

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    I'll differ from the pack and say pick out a BCM with the features you want. I actually think they're a better rifle and a better value right now. Mid gas, pencil or taper barrel, full length M-Lok handguard. It's all the shit you're going to do anyway, just get it all in the first place in a factory rifle. YMMV.

People have this romantic notion of getting a 6920, a case of ammo, and thats it. How many stick to that? Get what you want up front and skip the starter rifle.

I you WANT a 6920 get that, nothing wrong with that gun. If you want more features you’ll either be unhappy with the 6920 or you’ll spend a bunch of money upgrading it. If you really want KAC SR-15 and you can afford it get that. If you can afford a well appointed BCM and it has the features you want get one of those. If younreally shoot and train with a rifle that you’ll keep a long time the initial purchase price isn’t that important.
    This is the correct answer. A 6920 is good and all, but you have many many many more options for a similar price point with a BCM.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OP I was unwilling to build my AR out of fear of screwing something up or spending 3x more figuring things out, so I went with a complete lower (PSA with magpul CTR initially, later got a BCM complete) and mated it to the complete upper I wanted. I chose a BCM BFH ELW upper with the original KMR because I knew I’d want light weight, CHF, mid length gas, and a free float rail. By the time I added a FF rail to the Colt, it would cost the same as the BCM and still not have the other luxuries I desired. Notice I said luxuries, not necessities.

If you’re looking for an AR because you want a workhorse you’ll shoot all the time, train with, compete with, etc., then shop around for a complete upper + lower combo you like. You have dozens of quality choices just by sticking with some of the brands listed already, and you can even mix & match. It’s not hard at all to snap the two together, and few would even call that “building”.

If, on the other hand, you’re interested in getting an AR just so you have one before they make them illegal, go with the Colt. Spend the rest of your budget on ammo, a few mags, and an Aimpoint (a training course is recommended). You’ll have a great, reliable, no-nonsense rifle that will perform just as well as anything out there (post #48 is a good point; if you’re not familiar you should check out Molon’s threads on here).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chucky2 View Post
    I've shot ARs many times however it's always been friend/family, always pushed my own purchase off until I had a gun safe which means getting a house - I'm about a year away from that. With the constant media #Resist which is going to result in a 'blue wave' in 2018 and 2020, I'm wanting to get an AR-15 before the next Congress can F up our rights so they can satisfy the emo voters.

All that being said, the amount of options out there is...daunting to say the least. $3k ARs like a KAC, while I could afford one, just don't seem like something I really need. I'd rather keep the price in the $1500 range, but could go more if that was really required. I'm fully expecting that long term, at a minimum, AR-15 will be banned and at best, current owners will be grandfathered in.

I've been thinking about building, but, I have no experience putting one of these things together, and then that requires actually sourcing all the different piece parts. I looked at the Larue Ultimate Upper, it seems like something that is a good deal, as far as I can tell one needs to spend $800 on it and then get a lower of their choice, and that's it; and Larue sells their lowers to people purchasing their UU kits. Then I was looking at LWRC... And then I went full circle and started looking at just piece part building my own because it'd probably be more fun (but geebus, the options for literally every part)...

What would you guys recommend?

honestly get yourself a sionics, they are built excellent with brutal attention to detail and tdp. their barrel is top notch, lightweight barrel has a great gas port and great shot to it. any of the patrols are excellent. its a fighting rifle, perhaps slightly pricier than a colt 6920 but they are built correctly and will serve you well

Feedback Score
    I have many AR's, to include BCM, Sionics, Daniel Defense, LMT, LWRC, FN, etc. The only one I am sorry to say that I don't have is a KAC, which should be my next purchase. But most of my rifles and uppers I own are Colts, and my go to rifle is a Colt with 14.5" SOCOM barrel. The rifle is a shooter, shoots like a laser, and just plain work. Nothing wrong with what people suggested, and if you buy any of the rifles suggested, it will serve you well

Feedback Score
    All,

First, apologies for being absent, spent a short few days in bed and bathroom (fun fun fun) and then had to catch back up at work/life. I've got a list of all your recommendations, some comments below:

I've spent a month just learning on basic AR stuff when I had time. The reason I threw KAC in there as an example as it seems to be unquestionably a top tier pre-built, so a good example. From what I gather...

• Barrel/Barrel Length: Personally I'd rather have a 11-12"'ish barrel, and the only reason I'd pick that is so I could drop a suppressor on the end of it. Given my (unfortunate) location for the foreseeable future, Illinoisistan, I'm probably just going to go 16" this first go around so I'll have something before Congress 2019. I don't care if the bore/chamber is chrome lined or Melonited, but having the exterior Melonited would be a plus.
    • Gas: The longer the gas system the softer shooting the rifle is, or so it seems to be said. Assuming that's true, ideally I'd get an intermediate gas option, however, I haven't been able to find a preconfigured rifle that has enough feedback to ascertain it's reliable with relatively cheap range ammo...maybe I missed something there. The next best option was the KAC with it's 'almost' Intermediate custom length system; I'm not opposed to custom as long as I can get a spare gas tube or two for future maintenance. The next option seems to be the most suggested, which is mid-lenth - I won't go shorter than mid-length.
    • Handgrip: I don't really like the feel of the handgrips with quadrails, to me it's a little clunky. I'd rather have a constant circular/circularesque handgrip. I guess I'd chose MLOK as it sounds like the Mil likes MLOK better, which means accessories long term will trend that way (not that I plan on going accessory nuts, it's just nice to be covered).
    • Grip: Haven't really looked into this, don't think I really care.
    • Trigger: As long as it feels better than a Glock trigger I'm OK with it. Seems this can be replaced easily down the road anyways.
    • Stock: I like the LOOK of something like the Magnul STR, but I wonder if functionally something like the BCM Gunfighter would have less snag potential if I ever decided to hunt - which I probably won't do but why not just buy once.

As far as build vs buy, I really meant 'spec+assemble' vs buy. My concerns with spec are the myriad of options for almost every piece of the build. I can get OCD, I'm sure I could get done by the next Congress but I didn't want to spend months on this (yes, I can get that OCD ). Then, I'd have to build it. Truing the receiver, barrel bedding, etc., I've never done any of that before. The rest, just assembly, not a problem; assuming it all fits properly and when it doesn't I notice what's wrong. I'll eventually have to do it all anyways to clean. Maybe I should try checking out some build guides/videos and see how hard it really would be.

26 Inf- I think I'm more like in the 2-3 category but definitely will be using it for having fun as well. Unfortunately I'm still a year or three out from having a lot of disposable time to go shooting when I'd like. But, I want to be covered for when the
    OurGirlDidn'tGetElectedSoWe'llRageWhineAnd#Resist Wave hits. I like the idea of buying some good lowers just to be covered...

Stickman- The $1500 is just the weapon, I don't count optic or anything else in with that. That was someone else buying accessories, I haven't bought a thing yet. I get what you're saying on parts quality, I'm definitely not looking to get the most bargain basement sh1t...and I'm not looking to get a $4k setup. Something good but not something insane...

Boba Fett v2- That is a good idea on the armorers course, I will look into something like that. I was considering doing a 6.8 build but the disparity in ammo cost vs the chance I'll decide to start hunting anytime remotely soon made me reconsider. I did the same type of thing when I chose my 10mm G20 and I was fortunate to be able to shoot cheap .40 out of it...can't do that with the 6.8.

A few of you mentioned optics...lordy I haven't even started looking into those lol...

EDIT: But to be honest, if we didn't have what I'm pretty sure is going to be a gun grabber wave coming soon, I'd like to spec+assemble - I just think it'd be fun and something I've never done before.
    Last edited by chucky2; 04-22-18 at 21:46.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chucky2 View Post
    EDIT: But to be honest, if we didn't have what I'm pretty sure is going to be a gun grabber wave coming soon, I'd like to spec+assemble - I just think it'd be fun and something I've never done before.
    I understand wanting to be safe and sure, so purchase that complete rifle first. The lowers bought now would be insurance. IMO even in a ban scenario you would have time to buy enough parts to finish the rifles off.

Putting these things together is astonishingly easy with even just a bit of mechanical inclination. The minimum tools required wont break the bank.

There are numerous resources to guide you in the process - just google AR assembly manuals to get a feel for it on paper or their are (were?) plenty of youtube videos as well as DVD's available.

Really, all you need is the TM and this site.

The TM can be bought here if you need a paper copy (probably cheaper than printing it off): https://www.amazon.com/M16A2-Carbine.../dp/1601700199

It can be found on PDF here: https://www.sterlingarsenal.com/uplo...ual_-_2010.pdf (there are many sites to download the PDF)

A list of the basic tools needed can be found by reading this thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...or-AR-building

Dive in.

Feedback Score
    Other then those armsunlimited.com deals on Colts. If it were me I'd take a hard look at this. https://fnamerica.com/products/rifle...5-tactical-ii/

If you are familiar with Hodge Defense, I've heard this described as a "Hodge lite". If you have time read up a bit on how it was created

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I understand wanting to be safe and sure, so purchase that complete rifle first. The lowers bought now would be insurance. IMO even in a ban scenario you would have time to buy enough parts to finish the rifles off.

Putting these things together is astonishingly easy with even just a bit of mechanical inclination. The minimum tools required wont break the bank.

<snip>

Dive in.
    Thanks for the links! Exactly what you said is the problem though lol. They seem pretty simple to assemble, and there is a lot of free easily accessible info on the web. I've got a good idea what I'd want for a stock, buffer tube/system, and rail. I'm not partial to any grip, trigger I'd still have to pick out, could just buy a matched upper/lower, barrel, gas tube. I mean, what is really left after that? It's exactly the ease of assembly that's making building vs buying such a difficult decision.
    Last edited by chucky2; 04-25-18 at 11:44.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by npena84 View Post
    Other then those armsunlimited.com deals on Colts. If it were me I'd take a hard look at this. https://fnamerica.com/products/rifle...5-tactical-ii/

If you are familiar with Hodge Defense, I've heard this described as a "Hodge lite". If you have time read up a bit on how it was created
    Haven't even heard of HD but I'll give them a Google. Thx for the suggestion!

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)

Cool

Chuck, cut the bullshit and buy a 6920 OEM. Add whatever furniture you want.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast