Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First time AR buyer: Requesting sanity check

Feedback Score

First time AR buyer: Requesting sanity check

I've shot ARs many times however it's always been friend/family, always pushed my own purchase off until I had a gun safe which means getting a house - I'm about a year away from that. With the constant media #Resist which is going to result in a 'blue wave' in 2018 and 2020, I'm wanting to get an AR-15 before the next Congress can F up our rights so they can satisfy the emo voters.

All that being said, the amount of options out there is...daunting to say the least. $3k ARs like a KAC, while I could afford one, just don't seem like something I really need. I'd rather keep the price in the $1500 range, but could go more if that was really required. I'm fully expecting that long term, at a minimum, AR-15 will be banned and at best, current owners will be grandfathered in.

I've been thinking about building, but, I have no experience putting one of these things together, and then that requires actually sourcing all the different piece parts. I looked at the Larue Ultimate Upper, it seems like something that is a good deal, as far as I can tell one needs to spend $800 on it and then get a lower of their choice, and that's it; and Larue sells their lowers to people purchasing their UU kits. Then I was looking at LWRC... And then I went full circle and started looking at just piece part building my own because it'd probably be more fun (but geebus, the options for literally every part)...

What would you guys recommend?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Do some reading on this site and you'll quickly find the pretty much universal recommendation for a first AR is a Colt 6920 and an Aimpoint of some sort. Then if you have an interest in building something let that be your second rifle.

If you're willing to spend LWRC money you could buy a Colt + Aimpoint and spend the money left over on a small rifle safe that would be easily hidden in a closet or elsewhere in your rental until you're able to buy that house.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 04-15-18 at 15:38.

Feedback Score
    I went looking for a Colt 6920 as my first AR purchase, and ended up with a Colt 6721 (same gun except for barrel) instead because that is what a local gun store had on the shelf. It's a nice rifle, and I agree with the above, that a Colt is a nice choice. I've only had it to the range once so far, but it was accurate and reliable in that range session, and a whole lot of fun to shoot. Seems a Colt 6920 will average in the $1000 range. You can still find 6721' around the same price, but Colt stopped producing them last year I believe.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dmattaponi; 04-15-18 at 16:11.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmattaponi View Post
    I went looking for a Colt 6920 as my first AR purchase, and ended up with a Colt 6721 (same gun except for barrel) instead because that is what a local gun store had on the shelf. It's a nice rifle, and I agree with the above, that a Colt is a nice choice. I've only had it to the range once so far, but it was accurate and reliable in that range session, and a whole lot of fun to shoot. Seems a Colt 6920 will average in the $1000 range. You can still find 6721' around the same price, but Colt stopped producing them last year I believe.

That is an excellent choice . Buy some spare parts that are nice to have but probably won't need . A spare case of 5.56 ammo of your favorite flavor and you have it made.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    That is an excellent choice . Buy some spare parts that are nice to have but probably won't need . A spare case of 5.56 ammo of your favorite flavor and you have it made.
    Thanks SteveS, I appreciate the tip. Will do. So far I've accumulated 7 Pmags and 600 rounds of ammo.

Last edited by dmattaponi; 04-15-18 at 16:24.

Feedback Score
    Another vote here on the 6920. It was my first, and as a plus will never lose its value. Bought mine for just over $1000 four or five years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmattaponi View Post
    Thanks SteveS, I appreciate the tip. Will do. So far I've accumulated 7 Pmags and 600 rounds of ammo.

I try to use SGAmmo as much as I can because they have decent prices and they're a small, family-run business out of Oklahoma. Good folks. With that said, I have strayed a time or two when PSA runs those really good sales on ammunition which at times include magazines in the offer w/ free shipping. I'd probably get a few more magazines and perhaps 2 more cases (1,000 rnds per) of ammunition. If you haven't already, it's a good deal to get on the mailing lists of some of those sites so that their sales prices are pushed to you. If you can hang loose, there should be some good Memorial Day sales coming up. The 6920 would be a great first AR. Prices have gotten a bit high of late.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    For $1500 you should be able to get the 6920, a good sling, 10 PMAGS (or aluminium equivalent) and a case of 55g FMJ.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    I try to use SGAmmo as much as I can because they have decent prices and they're a small, family-run business out of Oklahoma. Good folks. With that said, I have strayed a time or two when PSA runs those really good sales on ammunition which at times include magazines in the offer w/ free shipping. I'd probably get a few more magazines and perhaps 2 more cases (1,000 rnds per) of ammunition. If you haven't already, it's a good deal to get on the mailing lists of some of those sites so that their sales prices are pushed to you. If you can hang loose, there should be some good Memorial Day sales coming up. The 6920 would be a great first AR. Prices have gotten a bit high of late.
    I'll keep that in mind. I definitely want more mags and ammo. So easy to blow through it at the range. I know my 600 rfd won't last long.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    I'll differ from the pack and say pick out a BCM with the features you want. I actually think they're a better rifle and a better value right now. Mid gas, pencil or taper barrel, full length M-Lok handguard. It's all the shit you're going to do anyway, just get it all in the first place in a factory rifle. YMMV.

People have this romantic notion of getting a 6920, a case of ammo, and thats it. How many stick to that? Get what you want up front and skip the starter rifle.

I you WANT a 6920 get that, nothing wrong with that gun. If you want more features you’ll either be unhappy with the 6920 or you’ll spend a bunch of money upgrading it. If you really want KAC SR-15 and you can afford it get that. If you can afford a well appointed BCM and it has the features you want get one of those. If younreally shoot and train with a rifle that you’ll keep a long time the initial purchase price isn’t that important.
    Last edited by mkmckinley; 04-15-18 at 21:32.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast