Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First time AR buyer: Requesting sanity check

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    I'll differ from the pack and say pick out a BCM with the features you want. I actually think they're a better rifle and a better value right now. Mid gas, pencil or taper barrel, full length M-Lok handguard. It's all the shit you're going to do anyway, just get it all in the first place in a factory rifle. YMMV.

People have this romantic notion of getting a 6920, a case of ammo, and thats it. How many stick to that? Get what you want up front and skip the starter rifle.

I you WANT a 6920 get that, nothing wrong with that gun. If you want more features you’ll either be unhappy with the 6920 or you’ll spend a bunch of money upgrading it. If you can afford a KAC SR-15 and you can afford it get that. If you can afford a well appointed BCM and it has the features you want get that.
    I agree with the above! I like Colt but don't own one. My shooters are BCM's and my rifles set up for longer ranges are Noveske and Larue. Nothing wrong with a 6920 if that's what you want, but I would caution you about buying a rifle you're not sure about. You can end up with more than twice the purchase cost in mods. On the other end of the spectrum if you're not sure just buy a quality lower, then you're covered for any possible legislation and can take your time about what you want.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Another decent option is the FN-15 SRP Tactical. I see them for $1000 brand new.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    I'll differ from the pack and say pick out a BCM with the features you want. I actually think they're a better rifle and a better value right now. Mid gas, pencil or taper barrel, full length M-Lok handguard. It's all the shit you're going to do anyway, just get it all in the first place in a factory rifle. YMMV.

People have this romantic notion of getting a 6920, a case of ammo, and thats it. How many stick to that? Get what you want up front and skip the starter rifle.

I you WANT a 6920 get that, nothing wrong with that gun. If you want more features you’ll either be unhappy with the 6920 or you’ll spend a bunch of money upgrading it. If you can afford a KAC SR-15 and you can afford it get that. If you can afford a well appointed BCM and it has the features you want get that.
    I was also going to say “get a BCM.” I have a couple and couldn’t be happier. I prefer their keymod rail, but that’s just going to be user preference.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Also take a look at Sionics Patrol Rifle Three as an option to compare to BCM, Colt and KAC offerings...

http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/stor...ol-ssk-12.html

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'm not sure about the sling and rail, but I've had good luck ordering from them before and this is pretty turn key if your looking for a basic setup rifle out of the box. With current 6920 prices it's not an incredible deal but not bad either..

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-L...6920-auprp.htm

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I’ve become a fan of hammer forged barrels, so I would recommend Bravo Co, Daniel Defense or a similar product. Colt is a good gun, but their QA/QC is slipping and their customer service is unpredictable.

Knights are great guns. Period.

I have Daniel Defense & wouldn’t hesitate to buy another. FN makes very good barrels, but you’re likely going to need to assemble it yourself, or reach out to G&R Tactical or Semper Paratus for a custom build, if you want.

In the early 1990s I started with a Bushmaster and have been upgrading ever since. Start with quality and it will last a lifetime or more.

ETA: a midlength gas system is a great idea for anything over 16” barrel length, in my opinion.
    Last edited by MSW; 04-15-18 at 21:28. Reason: Missed point

Feedback Score
    I would go with this because I think it gives you an excellent balance of quality and cost.

Colt Combat Unit: $1099

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-C...le6960-ccu.htm

Trijicon MRO: $420

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Trijic...-p/2200006.htm

Front and Rear Magpul MBUS: $65 Arms unlimited

10 pack D&H Magazines: $90

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-1...0mf-10pack.htm

This would get you out the door for under $1700. Add 1000 rds of 5.56 for $300

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue556 View Post
    I'm not sure about the sling and rail, but I've had good luck ordering from them before and this is pretty turn key if your looking for a basic setup rifle out of the box. With current 6920 prices it's not an incredible deal but not bad either..

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-L...6920-auprp.htm

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    OP he just showed you the easy button.

Feedback Score
    BCM has the best value. For the negligible difference you will get a rail that is not huge and heavy as hell. I recommend the kmr or the mlock version.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Hard to argue against KAC, and the 6920 is the go-to for a reason. Both are outstanding choices. If it’s my money, though, I’m going BCM. Add a good red-dot of the Trijicon or Aimpoint variety, some Magpul BUIS, the sling of your choice and a case of ammo and you’re good to go.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast