Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: First time AR buyer: Requesting sanity check

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If the standard trigger is truly awful, yes, by all means change the trigger. But with a little TLC in the form of cleaning, lubing and a good shooting session or two, most GI triggers deliver smooth, predictable pulls.

Note that in my post above, I said expensive trigger. I see no reason for a noob to invest in an expensive trigger before they even get to shooting.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I don't get people suggesting to first time AR buyers to skip getting a basic carbine like a Colt 6920 and either build or buy "exactly what they want". How can a first time buyer know exactly what they want until they go shoot an AR?
    I get your point but it doesn't take much imagination to realize you probably want a longer rail than 7", the M4 barrel profile sucks, and midlength gas is better than carbine on a 16" barrel. That's the shit we all complain about with most shitty carbines, why does Colt get a pass "because 6920". I think most of the "just get a 6920" recommendations come from people being tired of discussing all the different options and wanting to recommend something that doesn't totally suck without minimal effort.

What I said applies to going out and shooting the thing. If you want something that might increase in value a Colt might not be a bad option but then again you could just go buy stocks or gold coins. Sure, Colt's resale value is good but no if you start modifying it. Alos there are a lot of 6920s out there, I don't see them going like Pythons or something any time soon.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Colt 6920 OEM 1.

Add whatever stock and hand guard floats your boat.

ETA:

Quote Originally Posted by chucky2 View Post
    I've shot ARs many times however it's always been friend/family, always pushed my own purchase off until I had a gun safe which means getting a house - I'm about a year away from that. With the constant media #Resist which is going to result in a 'blue wave' in 2018 and 2020, I'm wanting to get an AR-15 before the next Congress can F up our rights so they can satisfy the emo voters.

All that being said, the amount of options out there is...daunting to say the least. $3k ARs like a KAC, while I could afford one, just don't seem like something I really need. I'd rather keep the price in the $1500 range, but could go more if that was really required. I'm fully expecting that long term, at a minimum, AR-15 will be banned and at best, current owners will be grandfathered in.

I've been thinking about building, but, I have no experience putting one of these things together, and then that requires actually sourcing all the different piece parts. I looked at the Larue Ultimate Upper, it seems like something that is a good deal, as far as I can tell one needs to spend $800 on it and then get a lower of their choice, and that's it; and Larue sells their lowers to people purchasing their UU kits. Then I was looking at LWRC... And then I went full circle and started looking at just piece part building my own because it'd probably be more fun (but geebus, the options for literally every part)...

What would you guys recommend?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 04-16-18 at 20:54.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chucky2 View Post
    I've shot ARs many times however it's always been friend/family, always pushed my own purchase off until I had a gun safe which means getting a house - I'm about a year away from that. With the constant media #Resist which is going to result in a 'blue wave' in 2018 and 2020, I'm wanting to get an AR-15 before the next Congress can F up our rights so they can satisfy the emo voters.

All that being said, the amount of options out there is...daunting to say the least. $3k ARs like a KAC, while I could afford one, just don't seem like something I really need. I'd rather keep the price in the $1500 range, but could go more if that was really required. I'm fully expecting that long term, at a minimum, AR-15 will be banned and at best, current owners will be grandfathered in.

I've been thinking about building, but, I have no experience putting one of these things together, and then that requires actually sourcing all the different piece parts. I looked at the Larue Ultimate Upper, it seems like something that is a good deal, as far as I can tell one needs to spend $800 on it and then get a lower of their choice, and that's it; and Larue sells their lowers to people purchasing their UU kits. Then I was looking at LWRC... And then I went full circle and started looking at just piece part building my own because it'd probably be more fun (but geebus, the options for literally every part)...

What would you guys recommend?
    A lot of solid recommendations here, but if this is going to be your only AR, I would suggest taking a hard look at the LMT MRP options with an MLOK upper chassis. LMT are proven and reliable ARs, right up there with the best of them (KAC, etc.), and the MRP allows you to easily swap barrels, so you can have multi-caliber capability in a single platform. You can always build up or put together dedicated uppers for it down the road. Or, if you plan to have more than one AR, grab a few quality lowers and build them up over time. Take a quality armorers course like Semper Paratus Arms if you really want to learn about the system and what constitutes a solid build. Also, be sure a 5.56 gun is what you want as there are several caliber options available for the AR. A lot of us eventually move up to the 7.62 AR10 type platforms for more reach and potency, and that's a whole 'nother ballgame right there.
    Last edited by Boba Fett v2; 04-16-18 at 21:31.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    All,

Thank you for the replies, I will reply back tomorrow night but I'm sick as a dog right now and can't keep my responses straight mentally. Sorry to drag this out on you all...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    You seem like a no nonsense guy going in the right direction. Echoing what everyone else is saying a Colt 6920 or 6720 is what you want for a no nonsense fighting rifle.

If you want a step up from that you can get a BCM OEM Recce if you feel like spending alittle for more for some extras like a midlength gas system and longer handguard. Realistically between the 2 they'll fight pretty much the same.

If you really want best factory produced AR then get a KAC SR-15 E3 but like you said, there are very few people on the planet that can use this rifle to its full capability.

I wouldnt bother looking at any other company since the ones listed above have the best quality to dollar ratio in their respective price ranges. Id maybe consider an LMT but a LMT Defender is pretty much a more expensive 6920.

Feedback Score
    I call BS on the Colt. Long time, no improvements! Buy the Larue UU Upper with their optional lower. You will be in for under $1100 and it will shoot circles around a Colt!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricrock View Post
    I call BS on the Colt. Long time, no improvements! Buy the Larue UU Upper with their optional lower. You will be in for under $1100 and it will shoot circles around a Colt!
    You should write ads for gun magazines, you'd be wildly successful.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 04-18-18 at 02:07.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I was thinking comedy writing.

Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    You should write ads for gun magazines, you'd be wildly successful.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricrock View Post
    Well, you've opened the gate because you didn't kiss the Colt stallion underneath the tail. But I'd think in two years you would have figured that out.

Then there is this: I've been thinking about building, but, I have no experience putting one of these things together. I would echo the value of the LaRue Ultimate Upper and their lower, I have one, but the OP apparently isn't sold on the build idea.

Going back to Colt - the mid-length gas system on the CCU is an improvement, correct?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast