Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: First time AR buyer: Requesting sanity check

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    That's pretty cool, generally if you get that close to the target you get powder tattooing.
    The trick is to cover the target up with cardboard.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    I'll differ from the pack and say pick out a BCM with the features you want. I actually think they're a better rifle and a better value right now. Mid gas, pencil or taper barrel, full length M-Lok handguard. It's all the shit you're going to do anyway, just get it all in the first place in a factory rifle. YMMV.

People have this romantic notion of getting a 6920, a case of ammo, and thats it. How many stick to that? Get what you want up front and skip the starter rifle.

I you WANT a 6920 get that, nothing wrong with that gun. If you want more features you’ll either be unhappy with the 6920 or you’ll spend a bunch of money upgrading it. If you really want KAC SR-15 and you can afford it get that. If you can afford a well appointed BCM and it has the features you want get one of those. If younreally shoot and train with a rifle that you’ll keep a long time the initial purchase price isn’t that important.
    This.

I was going to go with a 6920 or something Colt branded, but a few fine people here suggested I go with an upper and a lower configured to my liking. I happened to get a BCM MCMR-15 upper with a BCM lower customized by gandrtactical.com and I could not be happier.
    Last edited by JWages; 04-19-18 at 14:18. Reason: Fail spelling

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    $1,234.05 after discount code BCM18.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/BCM-REC...OVT_p_825.html

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by officerX View Post
    $1,234.05 after discount code BCM18.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/BCM-REC...OVT_p_825.html
    Colt Combat Unit Carbine can be had for $235 less. In your opinion what makes the BCM worth the extra price?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    Colt Combat Unit Carbine can be had for $235 less. In your opinion what makes the BCM worth the extra price?
    Just preference, I guess. Nothing wrong with Colt, as 95% of the membership will attest to, I just prefer BCM. The BCM is mid-length gas vs Colt’s carbine length, so it’ll be a slightly softer shooter.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Colt CCU is a 16" middy.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    What convinced me to go BCM was the fact that by the time I got the Colt the way I wanted, it would probably cost more than the rifle already configured how I want it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    The trick is to cover the target up with cardboard.
    Oh, I thought you bedded the rifle fore and aft on bags, shot a round on blank paper and then pasted the target over that round then fired the mega group. Now I know.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm still trying to figure out why a carbine length gas system is a negative. OP, buy a Colt 6920. That was the first one I bought and it's still the one I shoot the most, it's reliable as hell, from cheap steel case to full power 5.56, and it's tough as nails, takes all the abuse I can throw at it and begs for more. I have a middy BCM and a mid length ARP that I built, but I still shoot the Colt way more than either of those.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Oh, I thought you bedded the rifle fore and aft on bags, shot a round on blank paper and then pasted the target over that round then fired the mega group. Now I know.
    I was explaining how to keep powder burns from spotting up your target. LOL.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast