Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bolt vs semi precision rifles

Feedback Score

Bolt vs semi precision rifles

Im thinking about getting into long-range shooting (1000yd +) and was pricing out rifles.
    I can get a larue 6.5CM for $2k, or a decent bolt gun for $1500.

1. I know the bolt gun is more accurate, but with the accuracy levels semis are at, is the faster followup a better advantage than the accuracy increase?

2. Our Military uses bolt guns so i assume there is a reason.

3. In prs matches, bolt and semis are in separate classes, if they were in the same class, which would dominate?

4. Regarding #3, does that change out at 1300-1400 yds?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Im thinking about getting into long-range shooting (1000yd +) and was pricing out rifles.

1. I know the bolt gun is more accurate, but with the accuracy levels semis are at, is the faster followup a better advantage than the accuracy increase?

3. In prs matches, bolt and semis are in separate classes, if they were in the same class, which would dominate?

1. 100% depends on the situation (real world) or type of match (competition), to many variables to give a general answer.

2. In my agency OBR 762's are the designated marksman rifle but there have been talks about getting a couple of bolt guns for use in specific situations where accuracy is paramount. I would imagine similar for the military and maybe even perhaps the caliber restrictions (due to lack thereof) in proven semi-auto platforms.

3./4. Bolt gun all the way for PRS. No one makes an AR platform in caliber/barrel length that would be competitive at the distances for a "normal" PRS match (1200ish). You would do fine in the PRS Gas Gun Series because thats out to 800ish. With that being said PRS matches are more held more frequently whereas Gas Gun Series seem to be few and far between. Most local clubs have non sanctioned PRS type matches in which you can shoot both, however some stages will be too far for an off the shelf gas gun.

If you are planning on MAINLY learning long range shooting and getting into long range matches, bolt gun hands down. Semi-autos are a little harder to shoot for precision and I'd think as a beginner you'd be better off learning on a bolt gun.
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 04-16-18 at 07:41.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The furthest I have shot was 1000yards. I am a novice when it comes to long range shooting but was able to make hits with my OBR 7.62. I was also able to make hits on the same steel with a Tikka TacA1 for half the price...
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post

Bolt action would dominate, just as it does today. Eventually, the gap may get blurred more, but short-term bolt action is still where the top folks place in PRS.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    1: In a practical setting, especially at distances at which a shooter can self-spot, the immediate follow-up shot of a semi-auto is a distinct advantage. That advantage narrows as the ability to see impact decreases, but the advantage grows when the target is moving or needs more than one hit to achieve the desired end-state.

2: Our military uses a combination of bolt and semi-auto guns in "Sniper" elements, dating back to 2007 for "regular" units, and pre 9/11 for SOF. Recent trends are a heavy, long-range oriented cartridge for the bolt gun (.338, .300 WM, .300 NM, etc), which don't work particularly well in semi-auto guns very easily, and a 5.56 or 7.62 sniper support/DM type semi auto rifle.

3: There are two major categories for PRS matches, Bolt and Gas. Neither is particularly competitive in the other when the stage is set up appropriately. There are absolutely gas guns that can reach out to 1500, but to do so consistently will require a longer barrel than will be preferable for most semi-auto tasks and needs. There are also shooters that can run a bolt gun really fast, but that bolt gun is a wildly inappropriate tool for room entry and close range multiple shot needs. The PRS bolt gun series uses a different scoring system than the Gas gun series; bolt is how many hits can you get in a set time, gas is all about getting all of your hits in the shortest possible time. Bolt targets can be as small as 1 MOA, 2 MOA for Gas (some matches have had smaller than 2 MOA targets, but we just shot it anyway, haha). I know a few dudes that have shot gas guns in the bolt PRS series (before there was a separate Gas Gun Series) and did ok, but those same shooters would have placed higher in the match had they shot a bolt gun.

4: Sort of. You can be competitive with a 2 MOA gun in the Gas gun series, but you really do need a 1 MOA gun to be competitive in the Bolt Gun series.

There are amplifying details on the topic, and it's easy to get long-winded, so I'm gonna stop here until needed.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    These days, I'd go with a modern 6.5CM semi just for the faster follow up shots along with the range needed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jethroUSMC View Post
    Bolt action would dominate, just as it does today. Eventually, the gap may get blurred more, but short-term bolt action is still where the top folks place in PRS.
    I think that gas guns have come far, but bolt guns have improved too- or at least accuracy that was $5k+ is now at the $2-3K and even $1.1k level. Add in all the options on scopes, and a 0.5moa gun is not that much of a rarity- and really a necessity for top performance. All comes down to hits, which isn't exactly MOA accuracy. And that is where all the whiz bang ballistic calcs, laser rangefinders and wind meters have changed alot of things by taking out unknowns.

Exciting times.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Awesome, thanks for the feedback guys.
    I think thats enough to set me in the path forward, kind of re-affirmed my initial plan.
    Im thinking of using my 556 to start practicing WTF out to 6-700, and picking up a 22-26” 6.5CM bolt gun for past that.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    These days, I'd go with a modern 6.5CM semi just for the faster follow up shots along with the range needed.
    I've asked about that in the past and one of our SME's explained to me that 6.5CM isn't friendly to semi auto's.
    Has something changed?
    After looking in to it and actually pricing the semi-auto 6.5CM, with that advice, I backed out and bought a bolt gun and spent the money I saved on optics for it. I'm pretty happy with that, but I'm curious as to who is rolling out one of these semi's that isn't having issues.
    Not trying to be a dick, just really curious.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    I've asked about that in the past and one of our SME's explained to me that 6.5CM isn't friendly to semi auto's.
    Has something changed?
    After looking in to it and actually pricing the semi-auto 6.5CM, with that advice, I backed out and bought a bolt gun and spent the money I saved on optics for it. I'm pretty happy with that, but I'm curious as to who is rolling out one of these semi's that isn't having issues.
    Not trying to be a dick, just really curious.

I have seven .308 semi's but have been looking into 6.5CM but haven't heard anything in particular about issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast