Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bolt vs semi precision rifles

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    I have seven .308 semi's but have been looking into 6.5CM but haven't heard anything in particular about issues.
    I believe it had to do with bullet length, being fed from a magazine and failure to chamber consistently, but that's from memory and not 100%.
    I would do a search if you want the entire thread and why's and how's.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    I believe it had to do with bullet length, being fed from a magazine and failure to chamber consistently, but that's from memory and not 100%.
    I would do a search if you want the entire thread and why's and how's.
    Dudes are shooting a whole lot of 6.5 in PRS Gas Gun with very few complaints.
    I have shot 1,300 rounds of 6.5mm CM through an SR-25, with SR-25 magazines, 50% suppressed (alternating every 20 rounds), in 100 round increments, with only a wipedown (BCG left assembled) and relube at 500 and 1,000 rounds, with only enough time between 100 round increments to allow the suppressor to cool off enough to keep taking it off and putting it back on without causing me physical injury.
    0 stoppages.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    6CM seems to be more of an issue than 6.5CM/260REM? To me, the AR10 platform is still a bit of black-magic act, outside of the companies that are basic in platform and have dialed it in.

I'm running an LMTMWS308 and a R700/308 in an AICS right now, looking to transition to a 6 or 6.5 in a bolt gun. Looking at what the trade-offs are from a RPR, to the new Nucleas Action in my AICS, to an AI AT/AX. Those AI rifles are sweeeeet, but expensive. $10K with scope and doo-dads. yob tvoyu mat.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    6CM seems to be more of an issue than 6.5CM/260REM? To me, the AR10 platform is still a bit of black-magic act, outside of the companies that are basic in platform and have dialed it in.

I'm running an LMTMWS308 and a R700/308 in an AICS right now, looking to transition to a 6 or 6.5 in a bolt gun. Looking at what the trade-offs are from a RPR, to the new Nucleas Action in my AICS, to an AI AT/AX. Those AI rifles are sweeeeet, but expensive. $10K with scope and doo-dads. yob tvoyu mat.
    If you qualify for the Le/Mil discount, Mile High gives 10 percent off ATs and 15 percent off a non folder AT. If you trade in the 308 barrel towards the Bartlein 6.5CM on a non folder, it’s under 4K.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I’ve shot PRS with an AIAX, a state LE sniper match with an AIAX that I won 1st place in, and various other LR matches with both gas guns and the AI. Speaking for me personally, if I am shooting distance I would rather have a bolt gun. The recoil is usually sharper but faster to recover from with a bolt gun. Now I am talking about a 308 w/o a brake. I find it much easier to self spot and quickly correct with a bolt gun. Step over to a 6.5mm or ad a brake or can and it is even easier to keep up with what is going on post shot.

With a gas gun you have a lot more going on. You have less room for shooter error, and I have found depending on the distance I can miss seeing a splash.

No doubt under 600 yards, if you had multiple targets a major caliber gas gun with a good brake or can and a Horus type reticle could be extremely handy. But with a short throw, slick bolt like an AI, and with practice and training you can certainly keep up in that same situation. I got fast with my AI. I would practice using my middle finger at “gimmie” distances and leave my index finger free to quickly get to the bolt and work it. Watch some stangskyting videos of bolt gunners vs gas gunners or guys with G3’s.

If I could only have one, no doubt it would be an AIAX MC in 6.5cm or 260 rem, a 20” barrel and Ti can. With practice it can blow your mind how good you can get.

I am inbetween a short action AI right now as I want to upgrade to MC version. I still have my AIAX 338 and have a Ti SF 338 SOCOM in jail for it. After owning several SR25’s (ECC, ACC, APC X’s 2, EMC), a LMT MWS, HK SR9T, HK MR762, I would much rather keep a 12.5-14.5” AR for defense/GP use and a AIAX for LR/precision work. My experience with the gas guns mentioned above was as follows for MANY, MANY 10 or 20 shot groups and match ammo of various makes:

-The KAC guns were 1.5-2 MOA rifles. The ACC was doing good to be a 2 MOA rifle. The best shooting one was a delta trade in EMC.

-The LMT with CL barrel was inline with the KAC’s listed above. Maybe a touch better. Put a 18” SS 308 barrel in the LMT and things change. Now you are in .7-1 MOA

-The SR9T was a surprise. That thing would shoot like a bolt gun most of the time. I have some pictures of groups I shot with that rifle using Hornady 168gr ELR and 178gr ELR that you would swear it was shot with a bolt gun. It also recoiled more like a bolt gun by feel.

-The HK MR762, in my limited experience, was the best shooting of all those listed above. It would just stack Hornady 178gr ELR-X like a bolt gun most of the time.

I never had the problem of 4 perfect shots stacked and one little guy off over by himself or 2 separate figure 8 shot groups like I did with the KAC’s and sometimes the LMT. At times I regret selling that HK rifle, but I am not rich, so often if I want something else the wife makes me sacrifice something to the alter of upgrading.

For LE use I think a high precision bolt gun is the name of the game. If you want a spotter or secondary with a gas gun, fine; but the one taking the mney shot should be on a half moa or better rifle. I do think we will see a huge shift of LE snipers moving to 6.5mm rounds in the next 5-10 years now commercial match grade ammo is easy to get.

As I mentioned, I do have a 338LM. Even though I have shot it out to 2300 yards (may have been 2400), and it is very good for elr, I got it for the ass busting effect it has on material inside 1000. Inside 1500 yards it is like cheating. Nothing like knocking a full size IDPA AR500 target completely off a stand at 500 yards after other guys spent an hour banging it with 308’s, 6.5’s, and 6mm’s. I love my 338.

Ramble out.
    Last edited by Hootiewho; 04-19-18 at 21:45.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12