Thread: Ruger new model Blackhawk question

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Ruger new model Blackhawk question

I inherited a few single actions from my grandfather. I’ve always enjoyed the 4 5/8 barrel vs the 7.5. Given that I’m not interested in ever selling these, is there a gunsmith that you would recommend to perform the surgery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You might call Ruger and see if they will do it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I used to have the same opinion about the longer barrels on single actions, that I bought a beater Blackhawk for my son in 41 mag to hunt with. It is a blast to shoot, especially at longer ranges.

I still love 4-5" revolvers, but I'd shoot your mid-length before you chop it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    I used to have the same opinion about the longer barrels on single actions, that I bought a beater Blackhawk for my son in 41 mag to hunt with. It is a blast to shoot, especially at longer ranges.

I still love 4-5" revolvers, but I'd shoot your mid-length before you chop it.
    I actually have a 41 Blackhawk wih the 5.5 inch barrel. I have had four that length. I also have a 44 with 7.5 inch. I plan on adding a 7.5 inch 41 as well. But I would like a shorter 41 also.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcr5595 View Post
    I inherited a few single actions from my grandfather. I’ve always enjoyed the 4 5/8 barrel vs the 7.5. Given that I’m not interested in ever selling these, is there a gunsmith that you would recommend to perform the surgery?

Costs you more in gun smiting than a used revolver will cost.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    MANY years ago I had the original barrel of a .44 Flattop cut to 4 5/8” because I too prefer that length. Over the years I had trouble with the ejector rod screw stud pulling out on recoil. After numerous attempts to fix it for once and for all, I got Ruger to put on a new production 4 5/8”. That was 8-10 years ago. The cost was bearable, even though they had to refinish the gun because the barrel had been in the white.

I would check around as I have had local gunsmiths do it twice with good results also...
    Mala striga deleta est. (The wicked witch is finished.)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Costs you more in gun smiting than a used revolver will cost.
    That was my conclusion with my Blackhawk. I received a 7.5 inch barreled New Blackhawk many years ago as a Christmas present. I called Ruger and for them to re-barrel it, with shipping was about what the gun was worth, so I sold it, and bought a 4 5/8 in barreled USFA SAA I had my eye on in a gun shop.

It wouldn't hurt to call Ruger, and some others though. I used these guys when I wanted to slick up my USFA, and install modern springs (required drilling the butt of the grip). They work on Ruger Vaqueros, Blackhawks, and Bisleys, Colt, and clones, among others, and do nice work.

http://www.longhunt.com/web/
    Last edited by Pilot1; 04-23-18 at 15:05.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks all - I didn’t think of trying ruger so I’ll see what they say first and then consider other options.