Thread: IF vs Standard Diet

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

IF vs Standard Diet

Intermittent fasting (IF) is all the rage, but is it any more effective for weight loss than typical dieting? Many studies that looked at the Q were too short and or too small. This one ran a year and was 100+ people enrolled. What did it find? IF (5:2) no better than standard dieting on various measures. No surprise to me. What it does indicate however is that there's room for individual approaches to weight loss, and if people prefer IF, then do that, but don't buy into the claims it has magical effects, at least on weight loss and cardiovascular risk factors:

Via J.Nutrition, Metabolism & Cardiovascular Diseases:

Highlights

•Intermittent energy restriction resulted in weight loss and maintenance in free-living men and women with abdominal obesity after one year similar to that achieved with continuous energy restriction.

•Both diets improved cardiovascular risk factors.

•Feeling of hunger may limit long-term adherence to intermittent energy restriction.

Abstract

Background & aims

Long-term adherence to conventional weight-loss diets is limited while intermittent fasting has risen in popularity. We compared the effects of intermittent versus continuous energy restriction on weight loss, maintenance and cardiometabolic risk factors in adults with abdominal obesity and ≥1 additional component of metabolic syndrome.

Methods & results

In total 112 participants (men [50%] and women [50%]) aged 21-70 years with BMI 30-45 kg/m2 (mean 35.2 [SD 3.7]) were randomized to intermittent or continuous energy restriction. A 6-month weight-loss phase including 10 visits with dieticians was followed by a 6-month maintenance phase without additional face-to-face counselling. The intermittent energy restriction group was advised to consume 400/600 kcal (female/male) on two non-consecutive days. Based on dietary records both groups reduced energy intake by ∼26-28%. Weight loss was similar among participants in the intermittent and continuous energy restriction groups (8.0 kg [SD 6.5] versus 9.0 kg [SD 7.1]; p=0.6). There were favorable improvements in waist circumference, blood pressure, triglycerides and HDL-cholesterol with no difference between groups. Weight regain was minimal and similar between the intermittent and continuous energy restriction groups (1.1 kg [SD 3.8] versus 0.4 kg [SD 4.0]; p=0.6). Intermittent restriction participants reported higher hunger scores than continuous restriction participants on a subjective numeric rating scale (4.7 [SD 2.2] vs 3.6 [SD 2.2]; p=0.002).

Conclusions

Both intermittent and continuous energy restriction resulted in similar weight loss, maintenance and improvements in cardiovascular risk factors after one year. However, feelings of hunger may be more pronounced during intermittent energy restriction.

Source:

http://www.nmcd-journal.com/article/...100-5/fulltext
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Good info. Dealing with hunger pains can be tough. But, it is just a mental issue as in self-control and impulse control. Mentally I've managed to make hunger pains a non-issue. I count calories, macros, and micros and if I've reached the limit for the day, then feelings of hunger, and not giving in, have become a sign that I am doing my body good. Hunger pains have become synonymous with positivity.

I would rather be healthy and a little hungry than overweight and unhappy. Unfortunately, many have poor self-control/impulse control or/and see food as an escape when it is means to an end. The means to shorten your life and make you unhappy or the means to allow your body/mind to flourish as best as possible.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    good to read. I have some friends that IF, but I never bought into it.
    On the seventh day God rested; Marines filled sandbags

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've been Intermittent Fasting since New Year's.
    I've lost weight, but I've also been on a very healthy diet of lean meats, veggies and and "healthy" fats and carbs.
    I. Also working out like I should and thanks to Will for the heads up, I'm also getting a low dose of T every other week.
    That's a heck of a lifestyle change, but..
    I'm 44 lbs lighter as of this morning.

So I can't fully credit IF, but it's been instrumental in getting me to be more aware of my dietary selections.

Feedback Score
    'Intermittent fasting' is just a fancy term for skipping breakfast.

As it turns out, skipping breakfast is an easy way to reduce food intake. Less time in the day to eat means less food intake overall.

It all boils down to calories in and calories out in the end.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post
    'Intermittent fasting' is just a fancy term for skipping breakfast.

As it turns out, skipping breakfast is an easy way to reduce food intake. Less time in the day to eat means less food intake overall.

It all boils down to calories in and calories out in the end.
    Oh...But yeah there are many ways to get where you want.

I've been doing IF for 8 years and not for losing weight. Basically 20h fast 4 hour eating window and I'd say that I get just as many calories as if I ate during the day. It all comes down to a mental game.

No ill effects to performance in the gym or training of any sort. All fasted.

Works for me. Best thing about it is I don't have to worry about eating during the day...lol
    Last edited by Double3; 04-21-18 at 07:23.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    I've been Intermittent Fasting since New Year's.
    I've lost weight, but I've also been on a very healthy diet of lean meats, veggies and and "healthy" fats and carbs.
    I. Also working out like I should and thanks to Will for the heads up, I'm also getting a low dose of T every other week.
    That's a heck of a lifestyle change, but..
    I'm 44 lbs lighter as of this morning.

So I can't fully credit IF, but it's been instrumental in getting me to be more aware of my dietary selections.
    Good work! Per bold and T thread, that's sub optimal schedule.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A good bump for this thread. If one looks at the study, there was still a small edge to the IF in weight loss. If people prefer IF, no reason not to use it. It's just not the magical weight loss approach some claim it to be:

Intermittent fasting: No advantage over conventional weight loss diets

Intermittent fasting leads to weight loss and promotes health. However, it is not superior to conventional calorie restriction diets, scientists from the German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ) and Heidelberg University Hospital report in a study called HELENA—the largest investigation on intermittent fasting to date. The scientists conclude that there are many paths leading to a healthier weight. They recommend that individuals find a diet plan that fits them best.

Cont:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-...al-weight.html

Study:

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/articl.../5/933/5201451
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info: