Thread: Injury prevention techniques. Mainly knee injury prevention...

Feedback Score

Injury prevention techniques. Mainly knee injury prevention...

So last week I stepped into a little pot hole and didn't think much about it until a mile or so down the road when my left knee started to hurt. Hobbled home and threw some ice on my knee. So I'm doing lunges, leg lifts with no weight and some hip strengthening exercises. Using ice when I can. Any good ways to keep my cardio up while I am "in the shop" so to speak an allow my to get back pounding asphalt?? I plan on a terrain race in a few months. Thanks lads!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Access to a pool? Water work is excellent for cardio and takes some of the weight off of the knee.

If not, with the exercises you have listed, seems as if walking may fit.

Feedback Score
    215 (100%)
    A stationary bike works well. I used one for several months while rehabbing a knee injury.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Stationary bike, swimming, and rowing can all work, depending on the injury and what triggers it. However, I'd urge you to be careful about were and tear, especially on the knee. I'm 27 and in decent shape but my left knee has suffered three partial MCL tears (really one tear, but re-torn two additional times I think) and in November, I dislocated my knee cap. It sucks. I haven't been able to run in six months and it still hurts every damn day. I've also dislocated my shoulder twice (which caused significant damage to the cartilage labrum) and suffered a near-life threatening crush injury last year. That left knee is still the most ****ed part of my body.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Wake makes good points. Have had ACL, MCL, and Patella tendon repaired. I've been hard on my body with 13 broken bones, too many stitches and staples to count, knee and back surgeries, and multiple concussions. Injuries from BJJ, car wrecks, and plain jane accidents. Genetics have certainly helped me but if I could go back in time I would be easier on my body. I can step on the mat and keep up with 18, 19yr. olds no prob. However, as you age recovery takes longer and injuries tend to nag.

My kids get healthy doses of "Take care of your body." I plan on being physical as long as possible; hopefully 'til the day I die. Once again, as you age it comes with a price and taking it easier earlier in life can help one continue activity longer with less aches, pains, and injuries. I'm looking forward to my kids whipping my ass on the mat; but to get there I need to take care.

Going too long(as I did) thinking you are ten feet tall and bulletproof means more aches and pains later in life; when you are smart enough to realize this, hopefully it's not too late. Sucking up the pain and driving on is the less desirable path. I can vouch.

Feedback Score
    I also don't think increasing my distance as fast as I did helped. I have a mountain bike I can put to use in some of the trails up here. Tried some CBD oil and it seems to help. I'll go for an easy five miler tomorrow. Thanks lads!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by par-archer View Post
    I also don't think increasing my distance as fast as I did helped.
    I believe you found the problem.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Be very very careful with cross training while trying to rehab an injury. What you really need to focus on is healing the injury.

If you start increasing volume on activities you don't commonly do, you risk new types of over use injuries.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don’t know if it will help depending on what your injury is, but I use MSM regularly and it seems (to me) to help with my recovery. I got caught in a wicked armbar at Jiu-Jitsu the other night and my bicep felt like it was tied in a knot. I upped my dosage of MSM combined with a little electro shock and a lacrosse ball and it was good to go in three days.