Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anderson AR worth keeping?

Feedback Score

Anderson AR worth keeping?

So back last fall I sold a dirt bike and took an Anderson AM-15 as a partial trade. I really had no intentions on keeping it had planned on selling it. Sometimes I think about just keeping it but they have a bad rap around here. This one in particular has a 1:9 twist .223 Wylde chamber, free float rail.Center Point scope with illuminated recticle and Nikon mount, and varmint style bi-pod with extendable legs. I already know I'd want a different bolt as this ones not chrome lined or staked properly. Also I don't think the bore is chrome lined. If worth keeping, other than the bolt and maybe an H buffer(It has a standard carbine buffer) what would it need to be a solid rifle?

P.S. I can't remember if it has M4 cuts. I'll have to dig it out and see.
    Last edited by Kevslatvin; 04-16-18 at 13:47.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    If you have another AR that is a quality unit, I'd sell this one for whatever you could get and buy some mags and ammo.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    get a few thousand rounds and torture test it
    On the seventh day God rested; Marines filled sandbags

Feedback Score
    I do have one I built a few years back that I'm confident in. Well built a lower and put a completed upper on it anyway.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I wouldn’t bother keeping it. This is my opinion and reasoning: Anderson lowers aren’t worth a darn. The 1/9 twist is a “hobby grade” twist. It will limit how well your gun shoots the heavies. If the bolt carrier isn’t even staked well, that would lead one to think that the rest of the bolt and bolt carrier aren’t necessarily up to top quality standards. I’ve never even heard of a Center Point scope, and a Nikon mount is not something I would put on a serious gun. I’d look at something like a Geiselle, a NightForce Unimount, even a Badger Mount. So, you’re going to have to get a new bolt, bolt carrier, new barrel, new scope or an Aimpoint and mount. IF you go through all that, you’re still putting it in a very low end receiver that will never be worth any money. I wouldn’t bother. If you were going to replace all those parts, you might as well start over with a gun worth having.
    Just my opinion, but I would off it, and put the money into a gun with top shelf components. Otherwise, you’re just polishing a turd.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    As far as I can tell, the firearms market is sill really soft. You won't get much for it now, so unless you're hurting for cash, I'd toss it in a closet and forget about it until the next buying frenzy...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasshooter View Post
    I’ve never even heard of a Center Point scope, and a Nikon mount is not something I would put on a serious gun.
    Center Points are like $80 to $100 from Walmart. Nothing High end for sure. I've been told they're decent for the money. It's pretty much setup as a cheap varmint gun right now.

Don't roast me too bad for saying it on an AR board but if I was gonna put the money towards another rifle I'd like another Saiga AK to convert.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    As far as I can tell, the firearms market is sill really soft. You won't get much for it now, so unless you're hurting for cash, I'd toss it in a closet and forget about it until the next buying frenzy...
    May do this as I'm not in a have to sell situation right now.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    This was going to be my response. Wait until the next frenzy and throw it up on TNgunowners.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ginzomatic View Post
    get a few thousand rounds and torture test it
    This would be where I'm at. I don't think you'd be able to get enough out of it to counter the fun you'd have beating it around. Shoot it and see what goes wrong.

If the lower allows the rifle to function properly and the pins don't walk out, who cares whose name is on it?

Non-chromed barrels have killed a lot of people and animals over the years, so take it out and zero it with some 55gr and see how it shoots.

Sounds like your savvy enough to figure when you are leaking around the gas key, etc., so use it as a rifle to learn to practice wrenching on if nothing else.

Shoot a couple thousand through it, take care of it as you are doing so, and then sell it, on down the road. You'll probably get as much or more as you would today.

JMO.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast