Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anderson AR worth keeping?

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    My LGS has an Anderson lower so out of spec that you can't even put a mag in it. They keep it around for entertainment value. Also keep in mind that there is a market springing up for parts to correct the out of spec nature of their lower.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevslatvin View Post
    I may just sit on it for now and shoot it some. Sell it if the market picks up. I figure if I get a bcg for it I can keep it as a spare for my other one and put this one's original bcg back in it when I sell it.
    Put a better optic on it and let your buddies shoot it. When one of them tells you how much they love it, sell or trade it to them. I’m all about having entry level trade bait laying around. I have swapped in my favor more times than I can count.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MI_Steve77 View Post
    I’m all about having entry level trade bait laying around. I have swapped in my favor more times than I can count.
    Oh, man. I get attached to stuff - wives, girlfriends, cars, motorcycles, guns, you name it.

If I was a rancher I'd have 5,000 head of 5 year-olds, every one named. And, because I couldn't decide which one was my favorite, and I'd never sell my favorite, I'd never sell one. That puts a severe dent in the whole profit thing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Oh, man. I get attached to stuff - wives, girlfriends, cars, motorcycles, guns, you name it.

If I was a rancher I'd have 5,000 head of 5 year-olds, every one named. And, because I couldn't decide which one was my favorite, and I'd never sell my favorite, I'd never sell one. That puts a severe dent in the whole profit thing.
    Me too. Hence why I have this dilemma. I should've sold it when I first traded like I had intended As I figured it'd be easier to sell the gun than a dirt bike since I wasn't getting many calls. Then I never listed it for sale and now here I am. Plus it was a private sale( which aren't tracked in TN) if that makes any difference to the conversation at hand.
    Last edited by Kevslatvin; 04-17-18 at 16:53.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    My LGS has an Anderson lower so out of spec that you can't even put a mag in it. They keep it around for entertainment value. Also keep in mind that there is a market springing up for parts to correct the out of spec nature of their lower.
    It's mostly the upper I'm concerned about. Though I haven't taken any measurements on the lower visually nothing jumps out when comparing it to my other ar and a stripped Palmetto State lower I have laying around. IIRC I checked when I got it and PMags drop free.

Feedback Score
    Just curious here ,why other than what people, who have not seen or shot the gun said, makes you not like the upper? Have you considered shooting it beside your other AR ? With the same scope if possible and compare . switch lowers and then re try . It may become your go to gun .

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Shoot it. I’m guessing it was shot by the previous owner? See how it shoots. I also wouldn’t sell at this time. Save it for when prices go up if you want to rid yourself of it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Same thoughts here. It is a used weapon which is most noticeable for being the absolute lowest price and lowest quality obtainable. Wait until it may have some hope of value and then sell it.
    On a positive note its better than a blackthorne!!!!!
    Army Veteran , Lifetime NRA Member,

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    Just curious here ,why other than what people, who have not seen or shot the gun said, makes you not like the upper? Have you considered shooting it beside your other AR ? With the same scope if possible and compare . switch lowers and then re try . It may become your go to gun .

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    Nothing really. It's not T marked like my other one but that's trivial really. Mainly Anderson seems to have the reputation around here of being pretty low end is all. Was concerned about reliability and wondered if the upper it's self was ok and if maybe their barrels are decent. Hoped maybe if so that a bcg change was all it would need to be solid, might decide to keep it. Just need to put some rounds through it and see how it does. On another note I've heard good things about the wylde chamber.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    This would be where I'm at. I don't think you'd be able to get enough out of it to counter the fun you'd have beating it around. Shoot it and see what goes wrong.

If the lower allows the rifle to function properly and the pins don't walk out, who cares whose name is on it?

Non-chromed barrels have killed a lot of people and animals over the years, so take it out and zero it with some 55gr and see how it shoots.

Sounds like your savvy enough to figure when you are leaking around the gas key, etc., so use it as a rifle to learn to practice wrenching on if nothing else.

Shoot a couple thousand through it, take care of it as you are doing so, and then sell it, on down the road. You'll probably get as much or more as you would today.

JMO.
    I agree. I just built up a very basic M4gery on an Anderson lower "just because" I felt like it and had the tools. So far (100 rounds) it runs ok, shoots ok, no issues. It's going to be a utility gun and so take some of the wear and tear I'd otherwise be putting on the Colt. To my further shame I admit to buying a Bushmaster when I got back into ARs about 12 years ago. It's now a spare, but in 4000 plus rounds all I had to do was install a D-fender for better extraction. Always goes bang.

As noted above, your Frankengun has no great resale value at this time; so I'd shoot it like I stole it and see what, if anything breaks. What have you got to lose?
    Mala striga deleta est. (The wicked witch is finished.)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast