Thread: Anyone shoot off a tripod?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Anyone shoot off a tripod?

Considering a tripod setup for carbine and bolt gun usage.

$290 combos including rifle rest/saddle & ball head up to $2000 Really Right Stuff of the same

open to ideas. just want to hear what people have used, their experiences with that gear, and what they would change

Feedback Score
    I'm in that same boat, I shot a PRS event this weekend and most of the tripods in use were the Manfrotto's..they were very stable. I've heard good reviews of the field tripod from Hogsaddle, and it is priced pretty good. But I havent played with one yet. I about fell over when I saw the prices on the RRS gear.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    The RRS tripod setup with the leveling base and a direct attachment is the hands-down best tripod arrangement that I have ever used.
    The "universal vyce" is also a nice option, and allows you to dual-purpose a single tripod for spotting scopes, multiple guns, guns without bottom picatinny or other mounting, etc.
    If you don't want to invest that much into a tripod setup, Hog Saddle has some really good options: Pig 0311G tripod, with GNN XB-52DL ball head, and a Hog or Pig saddle does a lot of work. I use mine 90% of the time as a spotter setup, but having the instant option to drop in my rifle is useful.

A lot of us have gotten away from the frotto pistol grips, but there are still those that prefer them.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    The RRS tripod setup with the leveling base and a direct attachment is the hands-down best tripod arrangement that I have ever used.
    The "universal vyce" is also a nice option, and allows you to dual-purpose a single tripod for spotting scopes, multiple guns, guns without bottom picatinny or other mounting, etc.
    If you don't want to invest that much into a tripod setup, Hog Saddle has some really good options: Pig 0311G tripod, with GNN XB-52DL ball head, and a Hog or Pig saddle does a lot of work. I use mine 90% of the time as a spotter setup, but having the instant option to drop in my rifle is useful.

A lot of us have gotten away from the frotto pistol grips, but there are still those that prefer them.
    2nd the RRS tripod, our video guys use them at work. They are the cat's meow!

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    The problem with Manfrotto was that for the longest time, they had their own proprietary quick release plate. Only recently have they finally switched to the arca swiss dovetail, which everyone else uses.

Avoid the pistol grip heads. A good ball head is where it's at. My mom and sister were both photographers, so I have a selection of hand-me-down gear that includes RRS, Acratech, Gitzo, Manfrotto, and others. RRS ball heads are good, but I prefer the Acratech GP or GP-SS because you can invert the head to be used as a leveling base, the controls are easier to access, and the open design allows dirt/debris to fall through. By comparison every time my RRS BH-40 is exposed to dusty or sandy conditions, it becomes gritty and inconsistent until it is thoroughly cleaned. RRS does have a new head coming out that is more shooting oriented, which looks promising.

As for legs, get a set without a center column, and as few leg sections as possible. RRS, Gitzo, doesn't really matter. Center columns reduce stability, and a 3 section leg will be longer when collapsed, but the leg diameter is larger/stronger when fully extended compared to a 4 or 5 section leg. The fatter the legs, the better. There's nothing more annoying than a crappy travel tripod with a big spotting scope on top that vibrates in the mildest breeze or even the concussion from someone shooting at the other end of the line.

I'd also go with an arca swiss quick release clamp on the ball head. That way you can put arca swiss plates on your spotting scope, hog saddle (or equivalent), and rifles for direct mount, and swap around as needed.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    This is the only tripod I've shot from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I started a thread a while back, where these good folks covered the subject at length, probably in Bolt action rifle forum. good luck. It cost me a pretty penny.

PB

oh here it is "Light weight tripod for binos and spotting scope ?" second page of Bolt action threads and covers the same issues.. Good read.
    Last edited by Pappabear; 04-21-18 at 11:52.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"