Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Nearly sucked out of the Window, Soutwest Air Flight...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I have dreams of catching a hot stewardess and saving her, and she is very greatful.
    With my luck it would be some dude who falls on my lap and accuses me of sexual harassment when I dump him out in the floor.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    Let me correct basically all the points you attempted to sound educated on. You must be a CNN commentator aviation expert.

The engine lost a fan blade... Didn't know that at the time, NTSB didn't release statement till next day

CFM 56 has no gear box.

The duct has no affect on increasing thrust by changing its pressure. It really is not a convergent duct.

You are semi correct on #2, but its a secondary effect. Bypass air is most of the thrust at low altitudes. It also masks the exhaust noise from the turbine section.

#3.... no its not. The air flow from the fan section NEVER enters the core sections except at the very front(inlet guide vanes). Its a 5:1 bypass or there abouts. 5 parts go around, 1 part goes in, but once past the inlet guide vanes the core is sealed.

4... Sort of because the tips are typically super sonic.

5. Not perforated for de-ice. Air is driven through the perforations for noise reduction. The lip is heated via bleed air from the compressor, not exhaust from the turbine.

And the air pressure inside the inlet of the engine is actually low pressure, not high pressure. A turbine engine can produce ice due to temperature drop at the inlet(due to the pressure drop) at up to 10c...
    The entire CFM 56 series have a gearbox, its manufactured by Safran Transmission Systems, they also manufacture the titanium fan blades and compressor blades, notice the orange covers in the provided photo- that is the gear box!
    Attachment 51631

I figured if you were wrong on the gearbox, the rest of your list would be wrong as well. But I went ahead and read your remarks on 2 through 5.

#1 I was 100% correct

#2 I was "semi correct which means I was 100% correct

#3 I was 100% correct but you didn't understand what I was saying even after I mentioned the EGT/TGT levels being reduced. So... in layman's terms: The big fan up front turns and creates a lot of wind, a portion of that wind goes around the engine or, "bypasses" the engine and goes out the back making the engine a lot less noisy.

#4 You said "sort of so" and explained why, which basically means I am 100% correct.

#5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZVaeP1fE6w @1:55. Perforations are to blow hot air to prevent ice formation! I did say "exhaust" when in reality the "hot air" air comes from compressor. So........I guess I am 99% correct.

I guess my attempt to sound educated really paid off. Like for real, sometimes I literally have to wear a neck brace just to keep my head up because of how smart I am. You would think for how sensationally gorgeous I am, I'm nothing but eye candy for the ladies... but I offer more than just great looks, I have smartness in me. Do you think CNN is hiring?
    Last edited by elephant; 04-19-18 at 23:28.

Feedback Score
    It seems to me that pressure would equalize pretty quickly with a window missing...unless the plane was trying to compensate for the loss of cabin pressure.

I would imagine the woman was stuck in the window because of a mechanical interaction between her and the window frame (round peg, square hole), not pressure differential (unless the pump that pressurizes the cabin can keep up with that amount of loss).

Terrible situation, either way.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    It seems to me that pressure would equalize pretty quickly with a window missing...unless the plane was trying to compensate for the loss of cabin pressure.

I would imagine the woman was stuck in the window because of a mechanical interaction between her and the window frame (round peg, square hole), not pressure differential (unless the pump that pressurizes the cabin can keep up with that amount of loss).

Terrible situation, either way.
    Venturi effect will create lower pressure on the inside

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    The entire CFM 56 series have a gearbox, its manufactured by Safran Transmission Systems, they also manufacture the titanium fan blades and compressor blades, notice the orange covers in the provided photo- that is the gear box!
    Attachment 51631

I figured if you were wrong on the gearbox, the rest of your list would be wrong as well. But I went ahead and read your remarks on 2 through 5.

#1 I was 100% correct

#2 I was "semi correct which means I was 100% correct

#3 I was 100% correct but you didn't understand what I was saying even after I mentioned the EGT/TGT levels being reduced. So... in layman's terms: The big fan up front turns and creates a lot of wind, a portion of that wind goes around the engine or, "bypasses" the engine and goes out the back making the engine a lot less noisy.

#4 You said "sort of so" and explained why, which basically means I am 100% correct.

#5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZVaeP1fE6w @1:55. Perforations are to blow hot air to prevent ice formation! I did say "exhaust" when in reality the "hot air" air comes from compressor. So........I guess I am 99% correct.
    I would hardly call the accessory drive a "gear box". I was assuming you were trying to reference something like on the new geared turbofan engines because they have a real gear box(not an accessory drive) in between the fan and the compressor section....

I guess your vast experience of 20 hours of flying before quitting due to your "learning disability" that you admitted last year as well as your google expert status trumps my experience flying the actual aircraft in question here... I will gracefully bow out now and let the real experts and arm chair airline pilots answer the hard questions in this thread...

I knew I shouldnt have ventured into this thread.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Venturi effect will create lower pressure on the inside
    Venturi sucks.

Took an aviation class and the teacher was a crotchy old guy, pissed he lost out to the Wright brothers or something. He asked how a wing makes lift and a smart kid said the Venturi effect and the shape of the wing creates lift. He said, then how does an airplane fly upside down?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    He asked how a wing makes lift and a smart kid said the Venturi effect and the shape of the wing creates lift. He said, then how does an airplane fly upside down?
    Angle of attack for flying upside down. Also, a wing isn't a Venturi nozzle so 'Venturi effect' isn't correct.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Angle of attack for flying upside down. Also, a wing isn't a Venturi nozzle so 'Venturi effect' isn't correct.
    The wing is somewhat like half a Venturi nozzle. The other half is the ambient air pressure. Bernoulli's Law explains it.

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/f...nciple_k-4.pdf

Airflow over their hole in the airplane would cause a low pressure area outside the hole and cabin, forcing airflow out of the hole.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
    The wing is somewhat like half a Venturi nozzle. The other half is the ambient air pressure. Bernoulli's Law explains it.

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/f...nciple_k-4.pdf
    That article covers Bernoulli's principles, but doesn't specifically mention a venturi, which was the example that I was referring to. I found another article concerning the specific use of the term 'venturi' when describing lift, and why it's incorrect: https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/wrong3.html

Here's where the segments on incorrect lift theory start - it's a good, quick read, and kind of eye opening because we're so used to seeing the different theories presented:
    https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/wrong1.html

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    That article covers Bernoulli's principles, but doesn't specifically mention a venturi, which was the example that I was referring to. I found another article concerning the specific use of the term 'venturi' when describing lift, and why it's incorrect: https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/wrong3.html
    There are different schools of thought for sure. I didn't say it WAS a venture, but acted somewhat like a venture, and it does.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast