Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nearly sucked out of the Window, Soutwest Air Flight...

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    And some idiot stealing your oxygen mask for their self-propelled cracked-window plugger....
    Gosh, I wonder if Fluffy would plug that hole in the window? The sizes almost match.

Feedback Score
    And some idiot stealing your oxygen mask for their cat....
    pretend I am oxygen deprived and start flailing about REALLY HARD

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Yeah that's a horrible way to die, saw all those movies/TV shows as a kid when bad guy would shoot out a window on a plane, depressurize the cabin, and someone would get sucked out.

That and quicksand, as a child I thought quicksand was going to be much more of problem that it really is.

Thanks Hollywood.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Made an impression on me when I was 13.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pHXevnoAciY

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Reason 94579372641 why I don't fly

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Made an impression on me when I was 13.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pHXevnoAciY
    Exactly!

If Gert Fröbe's fat butt can be sucked through those tiny windows then I'm toast!
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Yeah that's a horrible way to die, saw all those movies/TV shows as a kid when bad guy would shoot out a window on a plane, depressurize the cabin, and someone would get sucked out.

That and quicksand, as a child I thought quicksand was going to be much more of problem that it really is.

Thanks Hollywood.
    Apes, earthquakes, nuclear war and aligators still haven't panned out.

Why exactly can we hold our breath for a minute, but we loose consciousness so fast at low pressures? Are you breathing your O2 away and can't not breathe or you'll reverse bends?

Being 'extruded' out a window doesn't have any positive aspects.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Exactly!

If Gert Fröbe's fat butt can be sucked through those tiny windows then I'm toast!
    I remember as a kid bs'ing with the other kids that you cannot shoot a gun inside a plane. You know, because the pressure is so great it will suck everyone out through the bullet hole.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    Apes, earthquakes, nuclear war and aligators still haven't panned out.

Why exactly can we hold our breath for a minute, but we loose consciousness so fast at low pressures? Are you breathing your O2 away and can't not breathe or you'll reverse bends?

Being 'extruded' out a window doesn't have any positive aspects.
    partial pressures is why You can hold your breathe if that breathe was at pressure

its the exact same thing that happens with shallow water blackout or cerebral hypoxia all due to partial pressures

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    from the photos I have seen, it doesn't look like the fan or the gearbox malfunctioned because it looked to be intact.

It appears the fan shroud blew apart. The shroud does a few things1) The duct is convergent hence the velocity of air also increases producing larger thrust.(2) The bypass airflow cools the main engine unlike a propeller aeroplane. (3) The air flow is also directed and merged with the flow through the main engine hence reducing the EGT/TGT considerably. (4) The shroud also reduces the chopping sound of the propeller and makes the engine quieter. (5) The lining of the shroud is perforated and takes exhaust heat to de-ice, or to prevent ice build up on the front housing.

Regardless, the air pressure inside of the shroud housing is usually pretty high, but not high enough to blow the shroud made of composites, aluminum and titanium completely apart. Unless there was water trapped in the housing and somehow the heat turned the water into steam and turned the fan housing into a pressure cooker bomb.
    Let me correct basically all the points you attempted to sound educated on. You must be a CNN commentator aviation expert.

The engine lost a fan blade...

CFM 56 has no gear box.

The duct has no affect on increasing thrust by changing its pressure. It really is not a convergent duct.

You are semi correct on #2, but its a secondary effect. Bypass air is most of the thrust at low altitudes. It also masks the exhaust noise from the turbine section.

#3.... no its not. The air flow from the fan section NEVER enters the core sections except at the very front(inlet guide vanes). Its a 5:1 bypass or there abouts. 5 parts go around, 1 part goes in, but once past the inlet guide vanes the core is sealed.

4... Sort of because the tips are typically super sonic.

5. Not perforated for de-ice. Air is driven through the perforations for noise reduction. The lip is heated via bleed air from the compressor, not exhaust from the turbine.

And the air pressure inside the inlet of the engine is actually low pressure, not high pressure. A turbine engine can produce ice due to temperature drop at the inlet(due to the pressure drop) at up to 10c...
    Last edited by rjacobs; 04-19-18 at 20:45.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast