Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt SOCOM Barrel vs Noveske Afghan?

Feedback Score

Colt SOCOM Barrel vs Noveske Afghan?

Putting together a 14.5 upper with a pinned FH. I think from Molon's tests the M4 SOCOM barrels were a bit more accurate although not by much.

I'm debating if the Afghan barrel is worth it considering it probably won't last as long, it's 50% more expensive, and is just a bit lighter.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I think you answered your own question.

SOCOM is more than likely more accurate, will probably last longer, and might be a tad heavier. Seems like a no brainer to me.
    DPMS 16" Carbine- NcStar scope, UTG Rails, MagLite hose clamped to barrel | S&W Sigma | HiPoint 9mm | Lorcin 9mm | Jennings .22| Stevens 12 Ga

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    My guess on average, the Noveske is more consistent. I wonder if all Colt SOCOM do as well as Molons. I'd like to know others experience. I trust Molon 100%, but how many SOCOM barrels have been tested. I had a Colt 6940 16 inch that was a laser.

The 50% more expensive would make it very difficult to buy the Noveske even though I own the exact barrel. I'm running an ACOG on mine so the accuracy not fully tested.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Ok cool, I just remember how incredibly well regarded the Afghan barrel was, so I thought I'd check.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I think you could buy either with great confidence and feel good about it. Can you find SOCOM barrels easily? When you start your selection with win or win, your going to win. You wisely left PSA, Bushmaster ...out of the equation.

Good luck on your build and keep us posted.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I have both barrels and give the nod to the Afghan. I'm not the greatest shot in the world but it is scary how accurate the Noveske is. The one I own was a special run with a 2" gas block seat and was made when John was still alive so I don't know if that matters. The SOCOM is no slouch either but I would pick the Noveske if I wanted a go to barrel.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyPenFly View Post
    Putting together a 14.5 upper with a pinned FH. I think from Molon's tests the M4 SOCOM barrels were a bit more accurate although not by much.

I'm debating if the Afghan barrel is worth it considering it probably won't last as long, it's 50% more expensive, and is just a bit lighter.

For what purpose? Without knowing what you plan to do with it, I'm not sure how any of us can do anything aside from guess.

Are you loading your own ammunition? What sort of glass are you planning on putting on it? Is weight a consideration? Do you plan on doing any classes with it? Is this a dedicated precision upper?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    I'm planning to take some 77gr BTHP with this build and go down to Mexico to deal some good ole American boat tail justice to some drug lords.

Or most likely I'll probably just shoot in the desert and a well ventilated air conditioned indoor range with a programmable target setter. I may even attend a carbine class if my wife lets me. I probably go through about 1,500 rounds of 55gr XM193 or Wolf Gold or GECO/S&B equivalents. I never really shoot steel ammo... yet. I also have a couple hundred rounds of 77gr SMK factory ammo that I occasionally use to zero various 5.56mm rifles. Don't really shoot it much because it's so pricey!

For this 14.5 build, I'm planning to just use irons for a while and maybe at some point get a red dot or a low mag fixed scope... maybe.

So yeah, just your general purpose for fun rifle. My other rifle is a Noveske 16 midlength that I put together with a friend. It's a fun gun.
    Last edited by FlyPenFly; 11-25-16 at 21:11.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    My guess on average, the Noveske is more consistent. I wonder if all Colt SOCOM do as well as Molons. I'd like to know others experience. I trust Molon 100%, but how many SOCOM barrels have been tested. I had a Colt 6940 16 inch that was a laser.

The 50% more expensive would make it very difficult to buy the Noveske even though I own the exact barrel. I'm running an ACOG on mine so the accuracy not fully tested.

PB
    I am as far from Molon as one can be... but my sample of one socom barrel is proving to be very accurate, and not real picky about what what it shoots well.
    "I would rather be the hammer than the anvil."- Rommel

Owner: Hangar 18 Custom Coatings

Feedback Score
    My Colt SOCOM barrel has been very good as well. Mine is a 16" though and lacks the small milled flats for the M203 to mount.

Brief testing with a quickly assembled hand load of 69gr SMK's gave me a 10 shot group at 100 yards that went .92" center to center. I can't complain about that too much.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast