Thread: Mounting a red dot on a 44 magnum revolver.

Feedback Score

Mounting a red dot on a 44 magnum revolver.

I have an interesting request from a family member, and I need some help from you all to see if it is possible, and what it would take.
    The person I am asking for is in his late 60s, so his eyes aren't what they used to be, he is still physically strong and will have no problems with recoil. The gun will be used for protection against wild hogs, finishing big pigs, and shooting pigs in the trap. Some 500lbs pigs have been taken where we hunt, so we know there are very big, and mean, pigs there. He will want to carry the revolver on him in a belt holster, as he wants to carry it while doing maintenance on the lease, baiting, checking traps, Etc. Due to his eye sight, he wants an RMR type sight on the revolver. He is not married to a particular brand, or model of firearm or sight.
    He is willing to spend what is necessary, but would like to keep it reasonable. Because this revolver maybe used to protect himself, or another family member, he wants it to be something he can stake his life on. I have very little knowledge, and experience, concerning revolvers. For the same role I use a Glock 20 on my belt. He is not as comfortable with semis, as I already suggested a Glock 20 or 40.
    Thanks for the help.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Happy1 View Post
    I have an interesting request from a family member, and I need some help from you all to see if it is possible, and what it would take.
    The person I am asking for is in his late 60s, so his eyes aren't what they used to be, he is still physically strong and will have no problems with recoil. The gun will be used for protection against wild hogs, finishing big pigs, and shooting pigs in the trap. Some 500lbs pigs have been taken where we hunt, so we know there are very big, and mean, pigs there. He will want to carry the revolver on him in a belt holster, as he wants to carry it while doing maintenance on the lease, baiting, checking traps, Etc. Due to his eye sight, he wants an RMR type sight on the revolver. He is not married to a particular brand, or model of firearm or sight.
    He is willing to spend what is necessary, but would like to keep it reasonable. Because this revolver maybe used to protect himself, or another family member, he wants it to be something he can stake his life on. I have very little knowledge, and experience, concerning revolvers. For the same role I use a Glock 20 on my belt. He is not as comfortable with semis, as I already suggested a Glock 20 or 40.
    Thanks for the help.
    I put a Aimpoint R1 on my 6 inch 629 with a bobro mount. Will post pics later
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    A Weigand Mini mount on a Model 29 or Redhawk is pretty easy. Then he can mount the optic of his choice.

I have both Burris FastFire and UltraDot on .44s.

The UltradDot on a hard recoiling gun is by far the gold standard.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    just a lowly little .357, but still...

Attachment 53154