Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Barrel Length for Next SBR?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

What Barrel Length for Next SBR?

I've decided to build another SBR but can't decide what barrel length to choose. I currently have a 7.5" 5.56 and a 9" .300BLK, from there it goes up to 16". I've seen a lot of people have 10.5" and 11.5" and either may be fine. I don't have a specific role set for the rifle so I'm just really wanting to hear everyone's opinions.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    I am a firm believer in 12.5" barreled SBR's with a K can, but also have a 9" .300 BO and two 11.5" 5.56 guns. I am also building a 10.3 upper to play with. Regardless of barrel length, they are all suppressed full time.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    11.5 is the sweet spot in my book. Although I have heard good things about 12.5.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I love my 11.5”. It’s my first SBR so I can’t compare the other lengths. I’m interested in 12.5” with a mini suppressor though.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    The performance drop from 14.5" to 12.5" is approximately 200 FPS, which is negligible at intermediate ranges out to 300/400. Plus the 12.5" gives you some flexibility with optics, due to the balance of the rifle. I have run a LPVO and a red dot on mine and prefer the red dot, but that is just my preference. The barrel length also give you some flexibility with use, mine is my go to rifle for home defense, general purpose use, and training.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by officerX View Post
    I've decided to build another SBR but can't decide what barrel length to choose. I currently have a 7.5" 5.56 and a 9" .300BLK, from there it goes up to 16". I've seen a lot of people have 10.5" and 11.5" and either may be fine. I don't have a specific role set for the rifle so I'm just really wanting to hear everyone's opinions.

Johnny and myself were hanging out one day and somehow or other a rather similar question popped up. He commented that if he could only have one AR, it would be a 12.5" barreled version. Short enough to reap benefits of being short, while retaining enough velocity and the reliability to be a solid weapon.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Johnny and myself were hanging out one day and somehow or other a rather similar question popped up. He commented that if he could only have one AR, it would be a 12.5" barreled version. Short enough to reap benefits of being short, while retaining enough velocity and the reliability to be a solid weapon.
    Johnny Noveske?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Johnny Noveske?
    Affirm
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Is there any chance of getting a mid-length gas system on an 11.5" or 12.5" barrel? Is it even possible? Is there enough room?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Is there any chance of getting a mid-length gas system on an 11.5" or 12.5" barrel? Is it even possible? Is there enough room?
    When you figure how much the gas port would have to be hogged out to make up for the minimal barrel length after the gas block... I'm not sure you would really want one.
    Stick

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast