Thread: Rough Sig barrel???

Feedback Score

Rough Sig barrel???

So I was looking at the rifling and noticed perpendicular marks in the grooves. This barrel is chromed lined. My other sig mk-25’s barrel does not look like this, or any other gun...

Seems like it will increase fouling and maybe decrease velocity.

What do you think?

Last edited by QuickStrike; 04-19-18 at 13:29.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I am thinking increase velocity as less jacket surface area is in contact with the rifling.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Would think it would foul more easily and quickly, as you mentioned, but no way to tell until you test it. Is it possible to compare it to other MK-25 barrels at location you bought it? If they are all the same, then it is what it is and barrel may need more frequent cleaning, or not. If yours has more "chatter" marks than comparable barrels, then you can either take it up with the dealer or Sig, or get some bore polish from Brownell's and carry on.

Mark

Feedback Score
    My other sig of the same exact model does not have these marks. The gun was brought out covered generously in oil so I doubt I would have seen it at the store.

Got an email back from sig saying it’s normal for a hammer forged barrel..

I guess I’ll just shoot it and maybe buy another barrel later if I still feel like it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Always thought hammer forging leaves marks on outside of barrel, where the hammers strike it, not on inside, where the smooth mandrel sits.
    Not sure I buy Sig's answer, as it does not explain why your other barrel does not have the marks, but doubt it will be an issue; handgun velocities are low, so fouling should not be a major problem, unless you plan on shooting a lot of uncoated lead bullets. Even then, foam type bore cleaners should make short work of it.

Mark
    Last edited by mpom; 04-19-18 at 15:08.

Feedback Score
    I have plenty of hammer forged barrels that look like a mirror inside on all the surfaces I can see.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think I'd be wanting SIG to replace my barrel if I were you. My Mk25 has about 150rds through it & is fouled, but I see nothing like that in mine.

But if it groups well & is 100% reliable, I could live with it. "Pretty is as pretty does."