Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Update/"show and tell"

Feedback Score

Update/"show and tell"

First, I just want to thank everyone who helped my in my other thread. I only have about 200 rounds through my rifle so far and my iron sights aren't quite zero'd yet, because my "key" to adjust elevation broke. Anyone know of any universal keys? I contacted Magpul and they replied once a week ago but then never did again. I really like my MBus's sights, but I'm not fond of their customer service so far.

I ordered an aimpoint pro. I don't plan on putting it on the rifle right away because I always see to "master" your irons first. My thing though, is that I've only ever used irons when shooting (pistols, shotguns, .22's). How long should I stick with just irons? Til I'm driving nails?

That said, I've never had so much fun shooting as I have with my Ar-15. I could literally do it all day everyday, but I think my bank account would suffer too much ��. Here it is (pics aren't the best, I finished cleaning around 2:30 am and just wanted to take some pics and go to sleep).

IMG_20180408_013848.jpg
    IMG_20180408_013947.jpg
    IMG_20180408_014355.jpg
    Last edited by JWages; 04-19-18 at 13:43. Reason: 3rd party hosting

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Personally, I don’t stay long on irons. Especially MBUS.

Get comfortable with the rifle and the irons zeroed, the put the RDS on.

Feedback Score
    Nice blaster man.

Tbh that whole "learn your irons first" stuff is usually said by old boomers who think red dots are going to break down. Im not saying dont learn irons, but im pretty sure you can rely on aimpoint / trijicon / leupold etc etc

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Personally, I don’t stay long on irons. Especially MBUS.

Get comfortable with the rifle and the irons zeroed, the put the RDS on.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. If I was brand new to guns, I could see using the irons for longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorblade View Post
    Nice blaster man.

Tbh that whole "learn your irons first" stuff is usually said by old boomers who think red dots are going to break down. Im not saying dont learn irons, but im pretty sure you can rely on aimpoint / trijicon / leupold etc etc
    Thanks! Yeah, I get that they say that cos they are from a time when optics weren't as reliable, but I think it also makes sense for new shooters. Sure, this is the first time using AR-15 iron sights, but I've been using them my whole life. I just like to get the opinions of those more knowledgeable than I am.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JWages View Post
    First, I just want to thank everyone who helped my in my other thread. I only have about 200 rounds through my rifle so far and my iron sights aren't quite zero'd yet, because my "key" to adjust elevation broke. Anyone know of any universal keys? I contacted Magpul and they replied once a week ago but then never did again. I really like my MBus's sights, but I'm not fond of their customer service so far.

I ordered an aimpoint pro. I don't plan on putting it on the rifle right away because I always see to "master" your irons first. My thing though, is that I've only ever used irons when shooting (pistols, shotguns, .22's). How long should I stick with just irons? Til I'm driving nails?

That said, I've never had so much fun shooting as I have with my Ar-15. I could literally do it all day everyday, but I think my bank account would suffer too much ��. Here it is (pics aren't the best, I finished cleaning around 2:30 am and just wanted to take some pics and go to sleep).

IMG_20180408_013848.jpg
    IMG_20180408_013947.jpg
    IMG_20180408_014355.jpg
    Put the PRO on when you get it. You don't have to turn it on or off to use the irons. The dot will lead you to the sight picture. Don't get excited if it isn't a perfect co-witness. Ditch the plastic sights and get real iron BUIS. The acronym for MagPul plastic sights should be BUPS. And move the front sight back a notch. Have fun.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Welcome to family, once you shoot an AR, all else fails in comparison. The whole learn irons first is truly archaic, dating back to a time when RDS sights weren't Aimpoint bombproof reliable, and everyone was waiting on their new futuristic RDS to fail, thus springing them back into the iron sight world. Aimpoints are so reliable its not even funny, and I'd wager that you'd likely drop your rifle on the irons thus breaking them way before you would break a T-1 or Pro. Look up Larry Vickers Daniel Defense torture test....you'll want a T-1 for sure.

Lastly, remember that these are tools and are designed for combat whether most do that or not...and ultimately you'll learn as time grows on that the AR isn't a rifle you have to clean that night after shooting, or even that month. When I was starting out, I white gloved the hell outta my rifles....today, I go several hundred rds at least in b/t cleaning or about every few months. Just lube them, and feed them quality ammo.....and it will become udderly boring in terms of reliability. Also many new owners do much more damage than good when going ape on the cleaning routine.

Keep having fun brother, next thing you know you'll have 2, then 3, then 4 ARs etc.......truly a disease.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 04-19-18 at 16:33.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Put the PRO on when you get it. You don't have to turn it on or off to use the irons. The dot will lead you to the sight picture. Don't get excited if it isn't a perfect co-witness. Ditch the plastic sights and get real iron BUIS. The acronym for MagPul plastic sights should be BUPS. And move the front sight back a notch. Have fun.
    Yeah, that makes sense to put the PRO on when I get it because if it does go down in a bad situation, then it'd be on it when I have to use the BUPS (cracked me up). I chose the sights because I guy I've grown to think highly of on youtube swears by them. If they break, I'll definitely get real iron BUIS. Why move the front sight back though? I set it up that way because I thought the longer the sight picture, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    Welcome to family, once you shoot an AR, all else fails in comparison. The whole learn irons first is truly archaic, dating back to a time when RDS sights weren't Aimpoint bombproof reliable, and everyone was waiting on their new futuristic RDS to fail, thus springing them back into the iron sight world. Aimpoints are so reliable its not even funny, and I'd wager that you'd likely drop your rifle on the irons thus breaking them way before you would break a T-1 or Pro. Look up Larry Vickers Daniel Defense torture test....you'll want a T-1 for sure.

Lastly, remember that these are tools and are designed for combat whether most do that or not...and ultimately you'll learn as time grows on that the AR isn't a rifle you have to clean that night after shooting, or even that month. When I was starting out, I white gloved the hell outta my rifles....today, I go several hundred rds at least in b/t cleaning or about every few months. Just lube them, and feed them quality ammo.....and it will become udderly boring in terms of reliability. Also many new owners do much more damage than good when going ape on the cleaning routine.

Keep having fun brother, next thing you know you'll have 2, then 3, then 4 ARs etc.......truly a disease.
    Thanks! I'm definitely enjoying being a part of it so far! That makes sense. I suppose I'll put it on as soon as I get it (let's be real, it was at least going on for a test run as soon as I receive it lol). I did a lot of research before buying and I was really leaning towards the T-1 and T-1, but the smallness of the micro dots just doesn't sit right with me. That may change though as I use an optic more and more..

I've read about cleaning too much hurting the rifle as well. I haven't cleaned it since I cleaned the factory oils off of it, but I'm itching to clean it and trying to refrain. I probably will before I go to the range again. I will definitely only white glove clean every so often, but right now I'm just itching clean and memorize my rifle. I can see that it definitely is a disease.. I want an ACOG, but it's not the best for home defense type situations, so I've already starting thinking about another rifle to set up with an ACOG

Feedback Score
    Congratulations on a very fine rifle and choice. Agreed, ditch the plastic sights. Get some quality irons if you need them, since you are getting a Pro, I would not worry about them.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    - George Washington

"Some of you would bitch if a hot blonde served you a perfect steak and beer of choice while naked and performed acts not described." Mark5pt56

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Get the T2. Not much more money and has clearer optics.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    I do a simple cleaning every 500 rounds or so. . .

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast