Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Update/"show and tell"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Troy's are garbage. When you dont even use them and they break on you and it takes 3+ weeks to get them fixed. Yeah gold standard my ass. Id take a pair of MBUS over Troy any day. Not like it matters, aimpoints are so robust you will likely never need them.

Feedback Score
    Finally got the situation with Magpul figured out. Turns out they are counterfeit. So I'll be getting my money back and ordering directly from magpul.

While I'm on the topic of BUIS, I was thinking and wondered about sighting my aimpoint PRO for 100 yards and maybe sighting the irons for 50 yards?

The only reason not to do this (that I can come up with on my own) is that you'd probably want the same zero for holdovers, etc but if 50 yards is close to point of aim, point of impact, it might not be a problem. Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The only reason to sight in at 100 is if you have a 100yd range you usually shoot at, otherwise 50yd is a better, flatter shooting zero and will keep you within a couple inchesof POA out to 300 or so. A 100yd zero will drop off quicker after 100 yds.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JWages View Post
    Yeah, using both eyes open. I think in my basement when I first opened the box I was just too close to walls. It looks a lot better mounted on the rifle and aiming at something shooting distance away. The dot looks pretty near perfect if I don't focus on it, but my eyes are drawn to it and after awhile I'll start noticing "webbing". I'm happy though, can't wait to get to the range later this weekend.
    The dot should look better if you look through it at something that's a good distance away. You may be focusing your eyes on the optic itself, focusing at a near object, the dot will look blurry if you do this. It took a bit for me to get used to it when I got my first red dot. Everything should look better when you have it mounted on the rifle and you are looking through it and focusing on the target downrange.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    The only reason to sight in at 100 is if you have a 100yd range you usually shoot at, otherwise 50yd is a better, flatter shooting zero and will keep you within a couple inchesof POA out to 300 or so. A 100yd zero will drop off quicker after 100 yds.
    I knew the 50 yard POA/POI theory, but I thought a 100 yard zero was "flatter". I'd mostly be using the 50 and 100 yd range, but there are days my range has 200 and 300 yard targets.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    The dot should look better if you look through it at something that's a good distance away. You may be focusing your eyes on the optic itself, focusing at a near object, the dot will look blurry if you do this. It took a bit for me to get used to it when I got my first red dot. Everything should look better when you have it mounted on the rifle and you are looking through it and focusing on the target downrange.
    I haven't been able to get to the range yet (I'm dying to, but I'm still deciding on my defense ammo). I guess I could zero it with my practice ammo though. It is mounted and looking through it at shooting distances it looks much better!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The 100 yd zero will hit lower at all ranges and drop off sooner. The 50 yd zero is a near zero, it will fly above the POA at 100, only like an inch and a half high or so, and have another far zero somewhere around 250yds or so. Can't remember the exact numbers but there are some old threads about zeroing on this site that have it all written out

Hell yeah man! Get out there with your practice ammo and start shooting! Don't wait! You can always re zero when you get your defense ammo.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, you're right, I might as well shoot what I have and zero my defense ammo when I get it. Just waiting til payday to get my membership and get back out there.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Troy's are garbage. When you dont even use them and they break on you and it takes 3+ weeks to get them fixed. Yeah gold standard my ass. Id take a pair of MBUS over Troy any day. Not like it matters, aimpoints are so robust you will likely never need them.
    I think there are a lot more functioning Troy buis than yours that weren’t. I’ve had at least 15 folding sets that took abuse and are 100% FMC. I’ve got fixed sets that are rock solid. Last time I checked - I think every single manufacturer has had a product that was defective. So by your mega high unrealistic standards. - that means LMT, LaRue, KAC, and Oh. My. God! BCM is garbage too. Because guess what amigo, they had all had issues. I’ve had BCM parts with issues. I’ve had a KAC part with issues and yes it took longer than 3 weeks to get the deficiency corrected. But me? I didn’t feel butt hurt and certainly didn’t feel the need to call them garbage after my SAMPLE OF ONE. Troy garbage? That’s ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JWages View Post
    Yeah, you're right, I might as well shoot what I have and zero my defense ammo when I get it. Just waiting til payday to get my membership and get back out there.
    We have some extensive intel on the pros and cons of various zero distances.

Here’s is Jack from Knights Armament providing the text of a discourse by Larry Vickers on the benefits of a 100 yd zero. I think they lend some credibility to their point. Jack references another really good great by Molon, the link is in Jacks thread. Unfortunately the images are toast, but it’s a good read nonetheless. (Molon’s images are in the thread) We have such a source of intel on this sight. By guys who have BTDT and by guys who have dedicated a lifetime to the AR. Use em bro!!

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...100-Meter-Zero

Let me know if the link fails.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I think there are a lot more functioning Troy buis than yours that weren’t. I’ve had at least 15 folding sets that took abuse and are 100% FMC. I’ve got fixed sets that are rock solid. Last time I checked - I think every single manufacturer has had a product that was defective. So by your mega high unrealistic standards. - that means LMT, LaRue, KAC, and Oh. My. God! BCM is garbage too. Because guess what amigo, they had all had issues. I’ve had BCM parts with issues. I’ve had a KAC part with issues and yes it took longer than 3 weeks to get the deficiency corrected. But me? I didn’t feel butt hurt and certainly didn’t feel the need to call them garbage after my SAMPLE OF ONE. Troy garbage? That’s ridiculous.

Alright maybe I got a bad one, but theres a reason all the top quality BUIS like magpul and KAC do NOT lock in the up right position. Less likely for your locking detents to randomly fall off your irons.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 04-26-18 at 14:08.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast