Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 pistols?

Feedback Score

AR-15 pistols?

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this.

I'm considering buying one. Are there any specific models that really stand out from the others? Are there any to be sure to avoid? Are there technical things one should look (out) for in researching different to researching long guns? Any and all constructive input is welcomed and appreciated.
    NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member
    Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    Common sense is only right wing if you are too far to the left.
    A pistol without a round chambered is an intricate paperweight.
    Stop trying so hard to be offended.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    What are you looking to do with it? That's the question.

To me, AR pistols are just a way around SBR laws. In my state, I can't own an SBR. That was the draw to me, for my (first) pistol I'm almost done building. Unfortunately, no suppressors either....so it's ultimately a range toy.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The only real difference between a pistol and an SBR is the lack of a butt stock.

One good option is to buy stripped lower, build it out with a pistol style receiver extension (buffer tube) and top it off with a quality short barreled upper.

Especially for anything short barreled, I'd stay away from the cheaper brands.

They're a little harder to do properly and sub standard parts will not help.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Not sure what caliber you are thinking, but if .556 I would strongly recommend 10.5 it higher barrel length. 11.5 is what I like personally. Anything less than 10.5 is risky from a reliability stand point and their is a huge disadvantage ballistically. If 300 BO or 9mm you can go shorter

A Sionics or BCM 11.5 upper is a good start. Build out a quality lower with brace of your choice .Gearhead Tailhook, SB, and KAK are all decent options depending on your preference

Feedback Score

Cool You can't beat BCM...

BCM "Pistol" lower, BCM 11.5" upper, Aimpoint PRO, Troy 7" Drop-in(non free-float), SBM4 brace
    Nothing fancy; pretty basic and it shoots great but less than 100 rds. downrange.
    AR_PISTa.jpgAR_PISTg.jpgAR_PISTi.jpgAR_PISTh.jpg

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    My main goal with it is ease of carrying to/from/in the car so as small as possible while still being useful and usable. A second benefit is presumably less obvious as what it is so less incentive for someone to break in to steal it if it looks like a tennis racket case or whatever rather than a firearm.

Anyone have the SA Saint? If so, thoughts/comments/opinions?
    Last edited by LDB; 04-20-18 at 15:40.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LDB View Post
    My main goal with it is ease of carrying to/from/in the car so as small as possible while still being useful and usable. A second benefit is presumably less obvious as what it is so less incentive for someone to break in to steal it if it looks like a tennis racket case or whatever rather than a firearm.

Anyone have the SA Saint? If so, thoughts/comments/opinions?
    I have not shot the Saint but I have handled a friend of mines Saint after he replaced the stock with the maxim defense CQB brace and it is amazingly small and compact. Not sure if there’s a smaller basically stock package out there.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    Not sure what caliber you are thinking, but if .556 I would strongly recommend 10.5 it higher barrel length. 11.5 is what I like personally. Anything less than 10.5 is risky from a reliability stand point and their is a huge disadvantage ballistically. If 300 BO or 9mm you can go shorter

A Sionics or BCM 11.5 upper is a good start. Build out a quality lower with brace of your choice .Gearhead Tailhook, SB, and KAK are all decent options depending on your preference
    I’ll second this. There’s a reason BCM doesn’t make a 5.56 barrel shorter than 11.5” and I’m guessing Sionics has the same reasons. Paul did a write up about their reasons for not going shorter than 11.5” for a 5.56 barrel. It can be found fairly easily with a Google search.

BCM sells a complete AR pistol utilizing their 11.5” URG and a bare pistol tube. Sionics sells a complete AR pistol utilizing their 11.5” URG, but theirs comes with the Shockwave Blade kit. As was mentioned above, the only difference between these and their SBR counterpart is the lack of a stock.
    Last edited by Bogart; 04-23-18 at 06:02. Reason: Incomplete thoughts

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone for the good input. It is appreciated and gives me a good base to work from.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm a horrible person because no pictures. BUT, I bought the 12.5" BCM Kino upper (so I can use Mid-length handguards even though it is carbine gas and have a Fixed FSB- just preference and a little different.) and use a BCM FA BCG (as always.) I bought the Shockwave Blade kit that brownells sold for like $70 months/ year(s) ago and use that on it. I have a Troy Fixed rear. I have only put about 250 rds through it. My only impression is that it DOES NOT shoot as softly as Mid-length gas and a Muzzle Break but it is still a pussycat to shoot. Overall, it is only 3-4 inches shorter than my 16" Middy BCM with M4 stock collapsed. But that does make it swing differently and tuck in better.

It IS louder. I would say, if I wanted any shorter, I'd go to a 300 or pistol caliber depending on anticipated engagement ranges. BUt basically, it lets me FEEL SBR options without the hassle. And I felt like that length was less likely to cause me any problems based on anecdotal info and gas, etc.

Interestingly enough, it will not run with my VooDoo Lightweight BCG so I am going to probably list it for trade here. I fired ONE round and it didn't cycle. I put it in my Middy and fired ONE round with the same result. I wiped the sexy looking BCG off and set it aside for my BCM BCG.

Nutshell- -DO IT! (it fits fine in a Tennis bag or duffel. )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast