Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your “State of the Art, Cutting Edge” handguns

Feedback Score

Your “State of the Art, Cutting Edge” handguns

That are maybe a little dated now.

My first intro to the M9/92FS was around 1988 when my Ranger Bn swapped out our M16A1s and 1911A1s for them and M16A2s. Our CAR-15 swap for A2 versions would come later. We also started getting green tip then, which made accuracy with the old twist rate CAR-15s.

Anyways, movies like Lethal Weapon and Die Hard coincided with this time period.

I bought a 92 a few years later.

I bought a 9x21 with compensator barrel and ammo for some matches in the early 90s so I could shoot “Major.” Meets of a dozen guys in a rural area then were not really where you would find a chronograph. In retrospect, I have found that my 9x21 ammo was more on par with 9mm NATO PF and not anywhere near major.

The later laser technologies lights had a switch extension that was stiff and held itself to the grip, similar to the models after They became Surefire. The first were a standard old school wired pressure switch that had to be attached to the grip. They typically became frayed. At some point most would end up without the wire and operated by the mount slide switch by the offhand thumb. Batteries then were a special connected one. They would with two 123s though.

Factory Beretta 20 round magazines used to be much longer than same capacity magazines now.

Anyways, in the mid 90s this was cutting edge.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LCJuRcYGGplhlMkW2
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    It is funny how all that compensator stuff comes and goes. It seems to run in 5 year cycles.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Wow,

The original Roland Special, but without the optic.

Crazy, I will be honest, depending on your "few years later" after 1988, I may not have even been conceived yet. It truly brings to light how spoiled our generation is with technology. Beyond just the pocket computer that doesn't need wires but connects us to a global communications network in 75%+ of the world.

Feedback Score
    I did have an Aimpoint 1000 on another pistol about the time we got the M9s.

The switch finally broke five or ten years ago.

Feedback Score
    As noted in the original post,
    The first versions had a typical wire to pressure pad that made an M9 grip even more awkward, and frayed and typically at some point would finally wear enough to break where the fame off the mount body. The light also came with a new takedown pin to hold it on, and a screw that put pressure against the front of the trigger guard.

Then the cable and pressure switch were replace by a rigid one as seen in the next picture.

Then that type of switch was kept, and Surefire put out a new model of light as also seen in the next picture. The take down pin replacement was no longer required. It had a new mounting system.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JWACNfnxaEX9Xucp2

Feedback Score
    Other mounting systems followed, basically allowing any light to be put on. They essentially consisted of a way to put a rail on the M9.

Beretta started putting out frames with rails at some point.

I believe with the SD “super Dave” or special duty frames.

Also, the Vertec came out with a smaller overall grip also more close to 1911 grip angle, the rail, and a replaceable, front dovetail sight upper.

The 90-two also came with a rail, and updated look, and new recoil system.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FKiY0ZgltwHfFZTV2

The M9A1 is essentially an M9 frame with a rail. Descended from the M9/92FS.

The 92A1 is essentially the recoil system of the 90-two, in a more M9/92FS styled gun, with a 92SB styled curved trigger guard.

The M9A3 is essentially a Vertec with optional grips to give it M9/92FS shape if wanted.

Compared to the CZ platform, from a similar era, it has little room to further evolve as a platform.
    Beretta had trouble getting it to function well with a short barrel/upper,
    And the trigger guard is so huge and the mag release so low, a true compact or subcompact frame is not feasible.

(When I say platform, with regards to a pistol, I mean it in the sense that say with Glock, CZ, XDM, etc. you can have a pistol platform with long target/hunting guns, suppressor hosts, game guns, service pistols, true compact carry guns, and subcompacts sharing magazine compatibility, etc.)

Feedback Score
    Attachment 51687

Other than the RMR, it isn't that much different from my CZ.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    My first handgun, a SIG Sauer P220 American in 45, built in 1995 and still marked "Made in W. Germany". It had all the upgrades and was billed as the "most accurate and reliable 45 right out of the box".

Since the AWB was in full effect, it made no sense to go 9MM. The gun spoiled me because the only time in 4-5K rounds it failed were when a spring broke (likely past replacement limit, especially with dry fire). Replaced it and it's been great. I just figured all guns were supposed to work all of the time from jump.

Doesn't get much work these days, but once or twice a year some rounds at the range for nostalgia.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast